View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bluebell
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-05-11

PostSubject: Old Volvos   Sun May 11, 2008 11:10 pm

Very Happy Hi, just wanted to say hello. I drive a J reg 240 torslanda Volvo estate. I vouch for old cars and think your site is a good idea. Round these parts old Volvos get trashed at banger races, much to my dismay. Let's stick up for keeping them on the roads and not the scrap heap.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: V70   Sun May 11, 2008 11:24 pm

Yes, just bought an eight year old well used V70 just the other day and it's brilliant. I'll upload some stories about it...J
Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com
r.welfare
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Old Volvos   Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:15 am

I love old Volvos, having had reliable motoring from a 340DL (my first car - cheap to insure for a 19yr old!), an early 440, then two 740 saloons. Never had a 240, one day I hope to. The Torslanda is probably the best of the lot as it has only the essential extras! The 740s were great with the injected 2.3 - quite economical if driven gently, and so comfortable with leather - but the later one suffered with the usual fuel gauge/speedo/odometer not working, as the 88-91 models do. A 740 is a heavy car to push to a petrol station!

Richard
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Miles   Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:13 pm

Another few hundred miles under the wheels today, still in love with my Volvo...J
Back to top Go down
RockDad
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2007-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Old Volvos   Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:34 pm

One old Volvo that combined the late great 240 engine - 2.3L & carbs - with the then new shape body, was the base model 1990 740 estate; making for a super-simple, no electronics, no catalyser, but cheap to maintain and service motor that's reliable and comfy. Recommend it.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Good Point   Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:48 pm

That's a good point, the simpler the better. Wish me luck because my old school Cooper is MOT'd tomorrow and it only scrapes through...11 am for your combined prayers please...very basic, but non standard manifold means that it is a bit dicey...
Back to top Go down
RockDad
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2007-12-20

PostSubject: RE: The Test   Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:14 am

Good luck with that MOT Rupert!
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: James   Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:16 am

It's James actually....J
Back to top Go down
NerveJam
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2007-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Old Volvos   Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:26 am

Yeah, and Rupert is a bear. With dodgy fashion sense. Admin is James "Ruppert"..

(Years ago, my then-girlfriend walked into the pub wearing a "Rupert" scarf, and suspiciously Rupert-like jeans. I was "Billy Badger" for years. Thanks guys..)

Back to top Go down
marshalllucky
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: VOLVO 440GLT   Fri May 22, 2009 10:02 pm

a few months ago I bought an old volvo 440 glt for 600. I live opposite a pub and got fed up with having newer cars getting scratched and dented by mindless morons so until I can afford to move to a nicer area Its bangers for me. The volvo actually is very presentable, fast,comfortable,reliable, well equipped ( all the toys work) and am currently getting 39.8 mpg ( mainly motorway driving). Sadly the volvo got keyed only a week after I got it and the aeriel snapped but the old girl has so much character and I can play all my old tapes on the old girls dolby stereo.very pleased and would recommend this car to anyone looking for a quality banger. Smile
Back to top Go down
FredTransit
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Old Volvos   Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:56 pm

We've got a 240 GLT, cracking car. Only paid 205 off ebay though, with a fresh MOT (no tax though)
Back to top Go down
http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
redboy
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Old Volvos   Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:31 pm

I use a 1979 Volvo 245 as my daily driver! I paid 1000 for it; which seems extreme, but it was a 2 owner car with 60K miles and absolutely no rust- none. Since then, I've replaced the cambelt, entire cooling system, and had the automatic gearbox rebuilt. (my fault for carrying too many paving slabs up a 1:3 hill.) Also, the gearbox guru I took it to said my gearbox had been done previously and the torque converter was just drilled, flushed, and painted black!
The other repairs were just age related.
I now have for about 2000 a car that will likely last 30 more years, I can drive across europe in, and rely on for work everyday.
I highly reccomend 200 volvos- and my advice is to look for a 2.1 litre carb engine. These use a stromburg carb thats much better than the solex used on later cars and are easier to fix than injected/ computerised models.
The 2.1 (B21) engine is a non-interferance design, so if the cambelt does break, it won't do any damage. Its also the most bulletproof of the engines, although they're all robust. In the mid-80s, they redesigned the engine to make it more efficient and removed some of the over-engineering of the crankshaft etc.
The 3 speed auto is a BW35, which is pretty good, as its an old american design and was used in nearly every automatic RWD car from the 60s and 70s over here. It does kill the fuel economy though.
4 speed or overdrive gearboxes are brilliant if you can find them.
I love working on it- you can remove the whole front grille/ panels and headlamps in minutes, and can literally stand in the engine bay.
Saloons are very cheap, as everyone wants the estates- definately consider if you really need the extra space. They also seem to usually be bought by old men and are better maintained.
Rust isn't really an issue- just check the windscreen doesn't leak.
Electrics can be dodgy- and I've found its nearly always a loose fuse. The fuseboard is poorly designed, and the springs don't hold the fuses well. A leaking windscreen can make this worse.
You can pick up a nice one for 500-1500. BUT regardless, budget on another 500 or so to replace the cooling system, all rubber hoses, suspension bushes, brake pads, carb needle/ diaphragm whether it needs it or not.
High mileage is not a problem, and I think alot of the problems I have had were due to my car not being used for a while.
Year wise, everyone has their own views, but I think '78-84 are the best, as they have better steel than those from the mid-70s but don't have the gadgetry or interferance engines of the later models.
Always use only volvo oil filters- they have a one-way valve to prevent engine wear on start up. Only use red antifreeze.
BW35's take Type F oil, but if its been rebuilt, you can use Dexron2.
A saloon with LPG has to be the most cost effective motoring if you're looking at long term ownership.
Hope someone finds this interesting!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old Volvos   

Back to top Go down

Old Volvos

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bangernomics :: General :: New member introductions-