View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
youngsod
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: It lives!   Fri May 18, 2007 11:53 am

To my intense relief, my banger lives on. It's a 98 Micra with 168,000 on the clock (140K by me) and she's had a terrible knocking from the front suspension. Fearing the worst I took it to the garage today and it turned out just to be a snapped track rod end. How pathetically happy am I at that!

I bought it 6 years ago with 48k on the clock. Yes it was quite new then, but I got it cheaply. Courtesy of a mate who was dealer principal at a large dealership chain who sold it to me for the trade in price he paid for it plus 100. "Got to show a bit of a profit" he said, then promptly had it serviced for me before I got it.

Anyway now it's done 120k more yet still going strong. It's mostly motorway miles it does, so combine this with regular oil changes and servicing and she chugs happily along. Not glamorous, but it does the job. And yes I do get a certain smugness about running about in something that costs me so very little.

My goal was to get 150k from it, but that was reached with absurd ease. The next goal I have is 238,857, the average Earth - Moon distance. Fingers crossed...
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Re: It lives!   Fri May 18, 2007 10:20 pm

Brilliant, and the more miles you do the less it costs you barring any major failures, but even then a few hundred quid every year isn't bad and the sheer satisfaction of keeping a car on the road when the next door neighbours are on their tenth car is equally priceless.
Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com
youngsod
Infant
Infant

Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: It lives!   Thu May 24, 2007 5:05 pm

It's one of life's continuing pleasures. It costs me about 200 a year to service, tyres are 58 for 2 Michelin at Costo, it does 45mpg, and even the road tax is cheaper.

Plus it's just so relaxing to have a car covered in scratches. No longer do you worry about supermarket car parks, not care when you ding the door of the bin.

My neighbours Merc probably costs him more per month than the Micra costs in a year.

The Joys!
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: It lives!   Thu May 24, 2007 5:16 pm

Absolutely, some twit reversed into my wife's cheapy Saab and that has bent the bumper, but we really don't care, what's the point of spending 000s on cosmetics?
Back to top Go down
NerveJam
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2007-08-21

PostSubject: Micras Rock!   Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:29 pm

Another Micra-Man!

These things go forever..

I agree about the dings on the SAAB. My Fiesta had dings when I bought it. That's probably why it was so cheap.

Back to top Go down
NerveJam
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2007-08-21

PostSubject: It Lives!   Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:44 pm

It Lives!

As posted elsewhere, my "other" Micra, the Goldstar, burst into life last night, with only a recharge, and a (large) squirt of cheap WD40-stuff.

No idea why it worked this time, but not last. Question
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Mystical   Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:24 pm

Old cars are mystical old beasts, it is Zen and the art of banger maintainence
Back to top Go down
3Nissans
Infant
Infant

Registration date : 2014-02-11

PostSubject: Re: It lives!   Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:43 pm

Nice to see another K11 Micra giving sterling service, we love our two, the 1998 one we have has given over 130K miles so far with very little outlay, I have to change its water pump this weekend, 30 quid for a new pump, and a doddle to get to, very sensible setup (driven by the fan belt, and not the timing belt), also have to change a CV boot, these Micras do seem to have an appetite for CV boots as well as the old Toyota Starlets, in my five years and over 280K miles on my old Cavalier I never had to change a driveshaft CV boot!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It lives!   

Back to top Go down

It lives!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1