HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | .

Bypassing original reverse light circuit ideas and thoughts?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joloke
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Bypassing original reverse light circuit ideas and thoughts?   Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:43 am

My Mercedes 190d has lost its reverse lights and I am looking for ideas to reinstate them? The circuit uses the automatic transmissions starter inhibitor switch by means of a little cam inside the switch pressing together two contacts to make the circuit as the lever goes into the "R" position on the transmission selector.

Over the years the cam wears out and or the contacts become bent and cannot close the gap :Cry2:

Well I thought it would be simply replace the inhibitor?

Its a simple enough job with the trans in front of you but in order to get to it you really need to drop the box Headbang

I know I could simply bypass the switch as the starter inhibitor bit of the switch is still fine but a simple switch would need to be operated separately and I can be forgetful Rolling Eyes

So with this in mind I am looking for ideas that could bypass the original circuit but by where the lights come on when the lever reaches the "R" position and go out once its passed the position :W:

Any ideas?

My head has been full of switches and relays all night I think I am loosing the plot LRM

Here is how the original circuit works on a W123

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It is easier on the 123 as there's more space sadly on the 190 you have to drop the box

It is not really an option for me to do the job myself and its looking like around 150 in labour to get it replaced so bypassing the reverse light section of the switch seems the most cost effective option Thumb

Help!!!!

Jodie Smile

edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Bypassing original reverse light circuit ideas and thoughts?   Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:40 am

Is there anywhere you could mount a magnet that could activate a hall-effect switch? Or maybe just an off-the-shelf microswitch, but the lack of physical contact with the former MIGHT make it more reliable.

Something like this.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It controls a relay which can apparently be sized to different loads, so perhaps it could switch your reversing light.

One snag with that one is takes a 6V supply, when 12V would be more convenient. There are probably other snags, but since I don't really know what I'm talking about, I don't know what they are.

I'll shut up now.
Back to top Go down
Father Tiresias
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Bypassing original reverse light circuit ideas and thoughts?   Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:51 pm

If the gearbox has an external shifter linkage it should be fairly easy to mount an external switch such as this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

and wire it in to the existing loom with no need for any other circuitry.

The switch comes from Vehicle Wiring Products: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bypassing original reverse light circuit ideas and thoughts?   

Back to top Go down

Bypassing original reverse light circuit ideas and thoughts?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1