View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
equidents
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2013-01-27

PostSubject: This isn't easy!   Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:59 pm

I am researching the possible replacement of the Focus. I hope it won't be necessary for a while as I am pink lint. Son is off to the Army and we have been flying him to Uk for interviews and tests and now a horse is unwell and Vets must get taught how to do invoices!

But it's not easy to do. that is find another motor.

Do I go diesel and risk losing the savings with a horrendous repair item or go petrol?

And don't forget Diesel is alot cheaper here than Petrol so it makes the equation more difficult to balance.

Trouble is I don't want a small car, which is the only way to get some parity with the oil burners fuel costs.

Obviously everything has it's faults, the trick I think is to find one that YOU can live with.

It's just that everything you start to dig deeper into comes up smelling of Crottins (French for horse muck).

Ah well, Keep going Ford!

Back to top Go down
http://www.raidequestrian.co.uk
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: This isn't easy!   Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:37 am

Peugeot 404/504/505? Saw lots in Morocco, which suggests they're pretty tough, and apparently the diesels run OK on SVO, though that's probably not worthwhile in France, if indeed it is anywhere.

404's are probably rare classics in the "mother country" now, but the others should be available?

Not small. Not too complex (Not Citroens.)

They are French though.
Back to top Go down
Father Tiresias
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: This isn't easy!   Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:00 am

Mercedes C-Class!! I have had one for years and its without doubt been the most reliable car I have ever owned. Parts prices are surprising cheap and in many cases cheaper than the equivalent part for a Ford. Mines a 1.8 petrol and on the 6 mile daily commute on very hilly roads it averages 30 mpg. Get it on a good road and stick to the speed limits and it gets 40+ mpg. I have no experience of them but I would imagine that the diesels must be phenomenally good!!
Back to top Go down
equidents
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2013-01-27

PostSubject: Re: This isn't easy!   Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:03 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

I think the 404 505 era cars are a bit on the old side for me. Sorry but this is my business vehicle and I need the odd creature comfort as I can travel 200 miles on a single journey at the end of a 10 hour day.

The Merc is an option is true, the C220cdi falls in range and I have a Merc expert 20mins away so a possibility to look at.

If I go diesel it will have to be a 50mpg car or I'll go smaller petrol to get 40+ mpg and likely lower repair bills.
Back to top Go down
http://www.raidequestrian.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This isn't easy!   

Back to top Go down

This isn't easy!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1