trailer lowering? tyres or leaf spring mod

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
c5alan
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: trailer lowering? tyres or leaf spring mod   Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:42 am

I am looking at gettin a new trailer the one I have I think is too big for my licence and it needs brakes fitted. Think too big as its not got a weight plate but is 8x5 so think loads more than the allowed 750k. I am looking at half an LDV pilot van that is converted to a trailer and is plated to 750kg so no need for a trailer test. Snag I have is I rent a garage that has a door way 1.96m high and been told the trailer is 2m 6'7 high. I don't have off street parking and would worry it would be to easy to steal anyway so how can I drop it a couple of inches?

So far plans are
A) smaller part worn car tyres
B) do something with the leaf springs or axle
C) half dozen bags of sand

2003 Citroen C5 HDI Exclusive only 218,000 miles on her so just about run in now family owned from new SOLD
1997 fourtrak SOLD thanks goodness complete death trap
2002 Renault Megane Scenic 1.9 DCI 112,000 miles soon to be on biodiesel
Back to top Go down
RustyOldBanger
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 29

PostSubject: Re: trailer lowering? tyres or leaf spring mod   Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:45 pm

It's been a long time since I've worked on any LDV commercials but here is a potential suggestion.

If the rear axle is mounted on the underside of the leaf springs it may be possible to remove it and re mount it so the axle is bolted above the leaf springs and therefore lowering the ride height of the trailer with potentially minimal costs involved.
I could be completely wrong about this but may be something worth looking in to..........

I am only suggesting this as an option as a few years back I was asked to lower a mk1 VW caddy pick up, and that is what I did to achieve the lowering on the rear.
It was relatively easy to do as it was only a trailing beam axle with symmetrical mounting points for the rear shock absorbers.
Only problem I encountered was unbolting the U bolts, they snapped so had to renew them.

Hope this is helpful.

Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: trailer lowering? tyres or leaf spring mod   Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:43 pm

ended up going for to much so oh well. I think I could build one myself for about the same just need to get half a van from the breakers some metal for an a-frame bord up the hole and fit the draw bar I have lying around hmmm gets you thinking. Obviously you should weld up the a-frame to the chasis of the van but could you get away with just bolting it on as I cant weld but do have a mate that did some gas welding quite a few years ago but no equipment.

Just like the idea of adding the man and half a van to the list of work I can offer lol

2003 Citroen C5 HDI Exclusive only 218,000 miles on her so just about run in now family owned from new SOLD
Back to top Go down
RustyOldBanger
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 29

PostSubject: Re: trailer lowering? tyres or leaf spring mod   Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:04 pm

c5alan wrote:
Just like the idea of adding the man and half a van to the list of work I can offer lol

Get some business cards printed up, That's quite a comical tagline !! lm lm

Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: trailer lowering? tyres or leaf spring mod   Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:56 am

c5alan wrote:
ended up going for to much so oh well. I think I could build one myself for about the same just need to get half a van from the breakers some metal for an a-frame bord up the hole and fit the draw bar I have lying around hmmm gets you thinking. Obviously you should weld up the a-frame to the chasis of the van but could you get away with just bolting it on as I cant weld but do have a mate that did some gas welding quite a few years ago but no equipment.

Seems THE MAN wants to get in your way, again

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

"New laws that apply to almost every trailer completed after 28-10-12 mean that very few new trailers can be sold or used in the UK unless they have an approval certifcate."

"What it means to us in the UK is the end of cowboy trailer building."

They say that like its a GOOD thing? BUGGER!

"As we understand the law, the approval rules also apply to trailers built by a person for his or her own use."

You MIGHT be exempt on the basis that most of your trailer comes from a legal vehicle, but I'd guess not. Old caravans cost buttons, and the frame could be used pretty much intact, but I dunno how that'd fit into THE MAN's PLAN either.

Regulations aside, I reckon you'd be OK with bolts, but its going to be thick steel so pretty easy to weld. IIRC a basic AC buzz-box stick welder was about 40 quid in the UK (OK on thick chassis steel with a bit of practice), and you could get coated wire MIGs for about 100. Gas gear is expensive.

I might be trying something similar here. It'd be entirely illegal in Taiwan, with no mechanism for getting it approved. OTOH the cops couldn't care less, and would be very unlikely to stop me.

Might be in trouble if I had an accident with it though.

Back to top Go down
c5alan
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: trailer lowering? tyres or leaf spring mod   Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:27 pm

regulations wise i have hear rumours of this before but not heard of a date before, what I would like to know is who is responsible for confirming the construction date of a home build trailer is it a new build or a recently refurbished old one. how much would of an old trailer needs to be kept before its a new build could you get away with an old hitch and a new build trailer. Not actually looking answers just another gray law brought out to mess with peoples minds.

My thinking would be if the van is old enough it wouldn't look new and so could have been built before the cut off date. This may never happen like many of my project plans.

Welding wise I dont have electric up at my lock up so makes a bit of a prob

Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: trailer lowering? tyres or leaf spring mod   Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:32 am

True enough, and a good point. If there was no inspection/registration requirement prior to the implementation of the reg, how could they prove it didn't predate it?

Re no electricity, that's a problem for affordable welding, sure (though I've heard you CAN run a welder off your alternator/battery, its maybe not the thing to learn on), but its likely to be a problem for drilling bolt-holes too, though I guess you could pre-drill a lot of the bits and assemble on-site.

By coincidence, came across a series on building a boat trailer. Bit of a Rolls-Royce job (aluminium and stainless steel) but might be of some interest. He's using bolts (welding ally is trickier) and I didn't see any mention of a certification requirement.

Back to top Go down
c5alan
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: trailer lowering? tyres or leaf spring mod   Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:54 am

My day job us a handy man so have both mains and cordless power tools depending on where I will be working so drilling holes not a prob.

Will have a look at that link cheers.

Found you can hire fas welding equipment from his for the weekend might be an option

Back to top Go down
c5alan
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: trailer lowering? tyres or leaf spring mod   Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:30 pm

after a few hours of searching the web for info on trailer testing has come up with not much but it should cost about 70 quid to get it tested but no idea if half a van would get through or not but wht i did find out is that caravans dont need tested till 2014 hmmm air bed sleeping bag and a trangia its a caravan lol ok head room aint going to be great and i cant see the missus ever letting us use it for camping anyway lol.

Ok new plan is build it as a caravan so therefore no need for a test, wait x amount of time and strip it out. Now what is it? no longer a caravan or is it a trailer that is not newly built but a modified 'caravan' so shouldnt need a test? does this sound wrong or just working within the rules. You can get vin plates made up for trailers so get one that says manufacturing date and thats its a caravan with a max load of 750kg no need for propper trailer brakes just use the vans hand brake cable for hills not needed at this weight though.

note to admin: any chance to change the title of this thread to something more to do with the direction its taken

Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: trailer lowering? tyres or leaf spring mod   Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:04 am

Not directly relevant, but connected:

I used to have a Dodge55 4 ton ex-BT workshop truck, registered as a motor caravan, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to drive it without an HGV licence

(To be honest, I shouldn't have been driving it, certainly not in London. I used to reverse into things. Things like, for example, factories.)

Anyway, they made a big deal at inspection time of ensuring that it couldn't easily be converted to cargo use, checking that the panelled-in rear couldn't easily be opened-up.

This was, I think, because plating, inspection etc for an HGV is much more expensive, so they didn't want the motor caravan reg being used as cover.

That doesn't exactly apply to a trailer, but if its already part of the mindset, the attitude might carry over.

Rather than build a half-van as a caravan, why not buy an old caravan? They're cheap, and you havn't "built" anything structural , so why would I need it inspected when all I've done is added French windows, Officer?
Back to top Go down
Father Tiresias
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: trailer lowering? tyres or leaf spring mod   Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:56 am

edlithgow wrote:
I used to have a Dodge55 4 ton ex-BT workshop truck, registered as a motor caravan, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to drive it without an HGV licence

I was under the impression that you could drive up to 7.5 ton vehicles on a car licence. I have hired trucks up to that size on several occasions and never had my licence queried. Or is this yet another thing that has been changed recently!!
Back to top Go down
c5alan
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: trailer lowering? tyres or leaf spring mod   Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:06 pm

edlithgow wrote:

Rather than build a half-van as a caravan, why not buy an old caravan? They're cheap, and you havn't "built" anything structural , so why would I need it inspected when all I've done is added French windows, Officer?

reason I would build is that I don't have off road storage but do have a lock up a modified van would fit in and the reason for a trailer is that a van would cost the guts of a grand to keep on the road a year while a trailer would cost nothing. A trailer / caravan combo could be used both for work and for play at the weekends with a modular removable interior

Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: trailer lowering? tyres or leaf spring mod   Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:56 am

Father Tiresias wrote:
edlithgow wrote:

I was under the impression that you could drive up to 7.5 ton vehicles on a car licence. I have hired trucks up to that size on several occasions and never had my licence queried. Or is this yet another thing that has been changed recently!!

Dunno. TBH the "4 ton" was a rough guess/comparison with the standard British Army Bedford truck of the time, which I was familiar with from the TA.

Its a long time ago, and I was a Hippy/New Age Traveller/City Yuppie/IT Guru at the time, so probably more than usually confused.

It was bloody big, with double rear wheels. Apparently there were versions plated at a wide range of vehicle weights, so perhaps some topped 7.5 tonnes, though I wouldn't have thought so. One of these:-

(wish that site had existed at the time)

I'm not making up the "NO CARGO" thing at inspection, though. The inspector (otherwise friendly) made a very definite point of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: trailer lowering? tyres or leaf spring mod   

Back to top Go down

trailer lowering? tyres or leaf spring mod

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1