View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: G-String   Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:01 am

Dunno really if this idea is any good, but I thought I'd try it.

After I had the sump off recently the sump gasket on my Skywing (like a Mk2 Charade) leaked at the curved bit under the crankshaft pulley. This'll be the lowest point and probably gets sloshed on LH turns. Its putting oil on the pulley and belts which then gets sprayed around the engine compartent.

New gasket would be indicated, but (a) goes against the (Bangernomics?) grain, and (b) parts are hard to find, though in this case I havn't tried, yet.

According to the manual this bit is supposed to have RTV silicon under it. If I could get the gasket off without destroying it I'd re-bed it in RTV, but its pretty well stuck on at this point.

I'm trying smearing RTV on a string, and then feeding the string under the gasket, dental-flossing stylee. For "string" I'm using PTFE plumbers tape because its thin so should interfere with the gasket bedding relatively little, though its harder to handle and holds less RTV than a twisted fibre string would.

To get the stuff on the tape I used the pointy end of a dead ball point, tape running through it and RTV "trowelled" in the wide end. It was a mistake to do this outdoors, since the tape is pretty unmanageable in the howling gale that always blows up whenever I have an engine open.

Irrespective of the merits (or otherwise) of this idea, my guess is I'll probably end up looking for a new gasket.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: G-String   Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:06 am

Mild update on the above. (Y'all could hardly wait, right?)

Could do with a bit more practice but I'd say the idea might have potential. I put it both sides of the gasket, winding it around the bolts on the upper side (there wasnt access to do this underneath).

Its easier to apply a thin uniform line of sealant this way (at least without a special applicator nossle) than straight from the tube.

The curved-sided ball-point tip that I used to coat the string works well but is a bit wasteful. A straight sided cone would avoid silicon sitting in "dead-ground" areas that the string misses.

Unfortunately I had to place the sump twice, and since the string was stuck to the bolts this messed it up somewhat. It might have been worth protecting the bolts, perhaps with some uncoated tape, so that the G-string doesn't stick to them, or using temporary pegs (bits of drinking straw?) in the bolt holes.

If I have reason to try it again I might use dental floss rather than PTFE tape. Wasn't sure about the high temp behaviour of nylon dental floss (though its probably OK) but I've read PTFE dental floss is also available.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: G-String on a Yamaha Scooter   Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:12 pm

Looks like the oil leak was the rocker cover gasket after all. But not as we (I) know it, Jim.

It looked like it was coming from the intake (daft. How could that be? But I thought I'd read something about it, no doubt posted by another idiot)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

So I messed around reinforcing its gasket, though it looked fine.

I tried a new trick, which I'm calling a G-String (Patent Pending, All Rights Reserved)

The idea is to apply RTV Silicone to a piece of cordage, which you then coil into a gasket shape. I didn't want to use something that would melt, like polypropylene (though it'd probably be OK) and its actually quite difficult to find natural string at short notice. This stuff is linen, apparently, and far too hairy. You could use cotton, or perhaps even wire.

String being coated. I should have taped it about a foot to the right so as not to get RTV on my radio. The last one I did I taped the pen-end to the bonnet stay, but it was too windy for that today.

Formed gasket.

This is a G-String On An Air (Intake). Very Happy (Please yourselves.)

You can wrangle it a bit with toothpicks etc. Probably be neater with practice, and thinner/less hairy string.

This was almost certainly a waste of time, if not positively harmful, because, after running the engine "naked" for a while, some seepage was apparent from the upper circular valve-adjustment port, which is perhaps what this thing has instead of a valve /rocker cover gasket.

I (massively over) did another G-String ((Patent Pending, All Rights Reserved)

Yeh, I know. RTV gloop everywhere, the sign of a rank amateur. BUT no one will see it, the threaded bit on the plug should keep it out of the engine, and I wanted it to STOP LEAKING.

Mosquito happy hour stopped me there. Might open it up again tomorrow and see how much mess the G-Strings ((Patent Pending, All Rights Reserved) have made before I re-start the engine, if I can find the time (lot of teachy-tosh to terminate)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: G-String   

Back to top Go down

G-String

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1