View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Exhausting Routine   Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:50 am

When I have an exhaust open at the manifold end, I try and tip a teaspoonful or so of portland cement into it. Lately I've been impersonating a teacher, so if I havn't got cement handy, I use chalk.

Probably a bad idea with a catalytic converter, but so far (touch wood) I've managed to avoid them.

I've no concrete evidence (fnar fnar, geddit? etc) that it works, but the theory seems sound.
Back to top Go down
Father Tiresias
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Exhausting Routine   Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:46 pm

This may be a dumb question, but why?? Portland cement contains limestone which is highly corrosive. Surely the last thing that you want in an exhaust system. Or am I missing something here?
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Exhausting Routine   Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:25 am

Don't think portland cement contains limestone (though its made from it), and I don't think limestone is highly corrosive.

Cement is corrosive (dunno about "highly", but it can sting a bit from a fairly brief exposure) to skin because its alkaline. If it's highly corrosive to steel then you'd think reinforced concrete would be a pretty silly idea.

I'm told exhaust condensate tends to be acid, so I'm assuming that cement or chalk (though I'm not sure about blackboard chalk, can't remember what its made of) will tend to neutralise the acids. That's the theory. Dunno if it works, but I don't off hand see why it shouldn't.

Evidence-wise, all I can say is that my exhausts havn't exploded or developed big holes immediately after doing it.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Exhausting Routine   Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:51 am

Variant/extension of above.

I've made a few exhaust gaskets with aluminium foil folded into a multi-layer square after smearing the surface with some gasketty goo (I've used RTV silicone, Pertex gasket stuff, and potters clay reinforced with some rockwool loft insulation fibres with successive gaskets. They all worked but I think the clay was best.)

Instead of trimming to the hole size I just cut a cross in it and bent the 4 resulting triangles down into the pipe, where they burned off.

I'm thinking that melted aluminium should also tend to protect the pipe from internal corrosion, (not so sure about melted RTV silicone/pertex) so the last time I had the exhaust off I shoved a sausage of it in the pipe near the manifold.

Could, I suppose, cause a blockage, but didn't seem to. In that location it probably melted rather quickly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exhausting Routine   

Back to top Go down

Exhausting Routine

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1