HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | .

Buying advice required, sensible or otherwise...........

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RustyOldBanger
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Buying advice required, sensible or otherwise...........   Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:40 pm

Right people !

I have a slight dilemma that needs attending to and I am requesting advice and suggestions as to what banger to get next.

My problem is that I have an early(1992 K) Mk3 VW Golf GTI which I love to bits and don't really want to part with, but I am concerned about the rather low MPG figures (30 mpg max)
what with the price of fuel increasing at alarming daily rate, I feel that I cannot justify keeping it for much longer.

However if by any chance there is someone out there who can suggest any ways of improving the Golf's MPG figures then i will happily keep it forever more.
Just for the record, I dont have a heavy right foot, for any of you sarcastic beggars out there La

The next step will be selling it on, then replacing it with something a little more economical.
I dont want "economical" to be boring and charmless.

As I have owned and run a vast number of old relics in the past, the question is................
What do I get next ?

Answers on a postcard please................. ?

Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Buying advice required, sensible or otherwise...........   Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:47 pm

When was it last given a really good service? Have you hooked it up to a code reader to see if there are any fault codes stored in the ECU? A Golf (even a GTi) should be capable of much better mpg figures than you are getting so something is not right somewhere!!
Back to top Go down
RustyOldBanger
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Buying advice required, sensible or otherwise...........   Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:15 pm

I acquired the Golf early last year as a rolling project with 46,500 miles on the clock.
The work carried out is as follows........ Completely re bushed the entire gear linkage from stick to box. Full service with cam belt and tensioner, new dizzy cap rotor and HT leads, replaced all perished breather pipes and ensured the ones that were Ok were clear of cack, replaced ALL of the little vacuum pipes, new coolant temp sensor, new TPS, checked and thoroughly cleaned the ISV, removed and cleaned throttle flap and plenum chamber, replaced the Air flow meter with a known good used part as this was the only fault that showed up after I plugged in the VAG diagnostic tool.
There has been marginal improvements in the way it runs but in my opinion acceleration is a bit flat and worse when hot.
Have I missed anything blindingly obvious ???????????????
Current mileage is a shade over 50,000

Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Buying advice required, sensible or otherwise...........   Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:27 pm

I also have a spare ECU that I was considering fitting a new EPROM chip (from powerchips.cz) to see if that would improve matters at all.
Does anyone have any views or experience they are willing to share ?

Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Buying advice required, sensible or otherwise...........   Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:47 pm

Compression check? Could just be that the engine is quite worn despite the low mileage. In fact low mileage engines can often be more worn than a high miler due to continual short journey work and the engine not being able to get up to a proper working temperature.
Back to top Go down
RustyOldBanger
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Buying advice required, sensible or otherwise...........   Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:58 pm

I did carry out a compression test shortly after I got the car and the readings were good so I ruled that out fairly early on.
However I will carry out another check fairly soon to see if there have been any changes just to be absolutely certain.
This is proving to be a tough nut to crack, I do hope I get the chance to resolve its running issues and find the missing horses......................

Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 50

PostSubject: Re: Buying advice required, sensible or otherwise...........   Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:02 am

Is the 30mpg an average?

What sort of journeys and mileage are you doing?
Back to top Go down
http://carmechanics.proboards.com
badshot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2009-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Buying advice required, sensible or otherwise...........   Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:40 am

Tyre presures are your best friend, make sure there all the same around 30-32 and if you have one lower than the others check for a slow puncture, they can lose you up to 5mpg!

RustyOldBanger
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Buying advice required, sensible or otherwise...........   Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:54 pm

It ranges between 28.8 and 30.4 over a tankful according to the MFA computer. That's doing a 22 mile each way daily motorway commute. Light throttle at 60 to 70 MPH wherever possible. I don't use it for short journeys.
Tyre pressures spot on as checked regularly.

Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Buying advice required, sensible or otherwise...........   Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:30 am

what mpg did you expect from a 2.0 gti? 60? lm
you sound like a 1.0 diesel kinda guy! either that or stop being such a tight ar*e!!
Back to top Go down
RustyOldBanger
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Buying advice required, sensible or otherwise...........   Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:06 pm

gangbanger wrote:
what mpg did you expect from a 2.0 gti? 60? lm
you sound like a 1.0 diesel kinda guy! either that or stop being such a tight ar*e!!

La La La Thanks for that, did make me chuckle.
Yes i can safely say i am a certifiable tight ar*se at times.

On a more serious note, I wouldn't mind so much if it had the thrust to match the thirst, I didn't expect it to be quite so flat and juicy.

Once I am sure everything is in order I was hoping to achieve a 35 MPG average.

Anyone know what the official figures are ?

Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Buying advice required, sensible or otherwise...........   Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:38 pm

According to Autotrader, urban 25.9 mpg, extra urban 47.9 mpg, combined 37.7 mpg. I guess that 30 mpg is probably about right for a normal driver, maybe just a little more depending on how it is used.
Back to top Go down
gangbanger
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Buying advice required, sensible or otherwise...........   Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:25 pm

bloody hell,I came here cos I was bored the other night,and Ive discovered NERD CITY.see ya :Wa:
Back to top Go down
skodaking
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2013-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Buying advice required, sensible or otherwise...........   Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:35 pm

Bye
Back to top Go down
RustyOldBanger
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Buying advice required, sensible or otherwise...........   Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:02 pm

gangbanger wrote:
bloody hell,I came here cos I was bored the other night,and Ive discovered NERD CITY.see ya :Wa:

I do not wish to cause any offence but nobody forced you to join up to this forum.
So why do you feel the need to post such a comment ?

Goodbye, you won't be missed :Wa:

Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Buying advice required, sensible or otherwise...........   Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:49 pm

gangbanger wrote:

As such a valued contributor with your huge post count you will be sorely missed :Wa:
Back to top Go down
RustyOldBanger
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Buying advice required, sensible or otherwise...........   Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:21 pm

Right, it's update time..........
I failed to mention in earlier posts that I had fitted a free flowing K&N panel filter in the airbox assuming better air flow = better running.
It would appear that this theory is not completely accurate in all cases.
As I have been running out of ideas as to why my golf isn't running as well as I feel it should be, I decided to switch the K&N for a good quality bosch air filter.
The flat spot I experience on acceleration has been massively reduced. (but not completely gone)
Getting there ................ But not quite there yet.

Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Buying advice required, sensible or otherwise...........   Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:13 pm

I used to run a K&N in my old Mini Sprite and coupled with a Maniflow Exhaust produced a lovely tone but I do admit it then acquired an increased liking for the jungle juice Rolling Eyes

So you might find your economy may improve ?

Let us know how you get on?

Thumb

edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Buying advice required, sensible or otherwise...........   Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:30 am

gangbanger wrote:

"bloody hell,I came here cos I was bored the other night,and Ive discovered NERD CITY.see ya"

I don't mind causing offence, when I think it's warranted.

This kind of dick-headery stands out as unusual here, but its woefully common on other car forums.

I'd say that if this forum gets more popular, brace yourself for a lot more sniping and point-scoring.

Sad, but the nature of the beast, I'm afraid.

(Just stopped myself from quoting CLARKSON (!?) on The Internet. Phew!)
Back to top Go down
RustyOldBanger
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Buying advice required, sensible or otherwise...........   Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:24 pm

I think I may have cracked it ............ After a bit of head scratching and some trial and error I have discovered an errant coolant temperature sensor.
After running it up to normal operating temperature, I swapped it for a cheap aftermarket sensor I had rattling around in my tool box.
The change in the way it ran was instant, the hesitation and coughing on acceleration has all but gone.
During the journey home tonight it managed to achieve 35.6 MPG.
The temperature gauge doesn't read quite right now and there is still room for improvent regarding throttle response but at last a step in the right direction.
New genuine VW coolant temperature sensor will be on order tomorrow !!

Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Buying advice required, sensible or otherwise...........   Fri May 17, 2013 1:16 pm

Here is the final instalment of the Golf's ongoing running saga...............

I have been running it for a few weeks with the new GENUINE coolant temp sensor fitted and all i can say is that i am surprised at just how differently it behaves now.
It now starts cleanly from cold with a steady idle with no hunting and surging, accelerates smoothly enough and no more flat spot when hot.
It is now achieving 35MPG

All that aggravation from a poxy coolant sensor.

Moral of this story,
Just because you have fitted a new part does not mean it will actually work properly.
Beware of buying cheap or aftermarket engine sensors.

success at last Clap

Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2013-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Buying advice required, sensible or otherwise...........   Fri May 17, 2013 1:57 pm

Well done but not all after-market parts are rubbish but I do take on-board what you say Good post

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buying advice required, sensible or otherwise...........   

Back to top Go down

Buying advice required, sensible or otherwise...........

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1