View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
D7
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Luxo-barge Banger   Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:45 pm

Okay so I agree that my E30 was a short lived affair. But I made a few quid on it by selling it to an enthusiast and still have my BBS Cross Spoke alloys in case I get another in the future Smile

Anyway, that meant I was on the hunt for a replacement. I picked this up locally for less than 1000 with tax & test, FULL SERVICE HISTORY, all the toys etc. This is why I love bangernomics...

Sorry only teaser pics at the moment:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Its a 1999 model with the 3 litre V6 petrol, mated to an Automatic gearbox. Lovely Cool It even has a private plate on it (probably not worth much though tbh and I will probably just put my own on that is on retention, but still).
Back to top Go down
stereosound
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2007-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Luxo-barge Banger   Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:57 pm

Lovely Car but its a shame your E30 has gone Shock

But I suppose if you made a little on it then that's Bangernomics Clap

Its amazing what you can pick u these days for under 1k :Wky:

I am assuming because its a V6 its less desirable then lets say a diesel version because of consumption.

But if you can cope with the mpg its often a great bargaining tool at the money strapped time were living in :W:

Nice car and cheap too Thumb

Back to top Go down
Vulgalour
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2013-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Luxo-barge Banger   Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:17 pm

Less than a grand? Apart from the hideous wheels, what's wrong with it at that price (probably nothing)? It seems like at the moment big luxury cars are the place to be if you can afford to buy, you can end up with a proper bargain.
Back to top Go down
D7
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Luxo-barge Banger   Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:03 pm

As far as I can see there is nothing really wrong with it, although I did barter a little as it will need front discs and pads fairly soon, but that's a service item which was a haggling point so no big deal.

Must admit for a big car its actually quite fun to drive...
Back to top Go down
Father Tiresias
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Luxo-barge Banger   Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:43 pm

These are great cars an such a bargain. I think there are two reasons for this. Firstly its a Mondeo floor pan which put off a lot of buyers who expect a Jaguar to be a Jaguar, not a Ford in disguise, and, secondly, Jaguar tried to recapture the appearance of a classic S-Type. It didn't go down too well with the traditionalists and other buyers wanted a car with more modern looks.

For the banger buyer (us!!) that is excellent news. The Mondeo has one of the best chassis of any medium sized car so having a Jaguar based on one makes for a car that drives and handles nicely. As for the looks, as the car is now getting older it is becoming a classic in its own right. Win win all round.

A great bargain and a great choice of car. Enjoy!!
Back to top Go down
c5alan
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Luxo-barge Banger   Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:22 pm

Good luck my mate had one for a couple of months till a gear box fault warning coupled with an odd noise had a possible 2k repair bill see it traded in for a Celica. Lovely car when it was working lovely and smooth power

2003 Citroen C5 HDI Exclusive only 218,000 miles on her so just about run in now family owned from new SOLD
1997 fourtrak SOLD thanks goodness complete death trap
2002 Renault Megane Scenic 1.9 DCI 112,000 miles soon to be on biodiesel
Back to top Go down
keithyboy
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 33

PostSubject: Re: Luxo-barge Banger   Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:16 pm

Father Tiresias wrote:
These are great cars an such a bargain. I think there are two reasons for this. Firstly its a Mondeo floor pan which put off a lot of buyers who expect a Jaguar to be a Jaguar, not a Ford in disguise, and, secondly, Jaguar tried to recapture the appearance of a classic S-Type. It didn't go down too well with the traditionalists and other buyers wanted a car with more modern looks.

For the banger buyer (us!!) that is excellent news. The Mondeo has one of the best chassis of any medium sized car so having a Jaguar based on one makes for a car that drives and handles nicely. As for the looks, as the car is now getting older it is becoming a classic in its own right. Win win all round.

That's an S not an X. It's platform shares with big US Fords and Lincolns.
Back to top Go down
D7
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Luxo-barge Banger   Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:22 pm

Father Tiresias wrote:

I thought it was the X-Type which was Mondeo based? Indeed my S-Type feels a lot larger than the Mondeo's I have owned and is also rear wheel drive.

Absolutely love the car though, even my missus (who was not an S-Type fan and would rather I bought an X-Type if I was going to get a Jag) has warmed to the car following a drive out in it. The car certainly feels a lot more modern than its 1999 vintage. The 3.0 engine is silky smooth, I think from what I've figured out so far its not going to be all that much different consumption wise to the R reg BMW 528i Manual that my E30 replaced, which I can quite happily live with.

c5alan wrote:
Good luck my mate had one for a couple of months till a gear box fault warning coupled with an odd noise had a possible 2k repair bill see it traded in for a Celica. Lovely car when it was working lovely and smooth power

I must admit, these are fantastic cars but the large repair costs put the shits up me Shocked However worst case scenario I suppose I could just cut my loses and buy another one. Not that I want to though as this one is the perfect colour, with fantastic history and in excellent condition Very Happy

I will never get bored of that throaty V6 roar when booting it ... so much so it has got me looking at a nice aftermarket exhaust to release the sound already. Must stop looking...
Back to top Go down
stereosound
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2007-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Luxo-barge Banger   Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:26 pm

I have to admit I to thought it to be based on a Mondeo but it appears its based on a US Ford Chassis Shock

The Ford DEW platform (or DEW98) is Ford Motor Company's midsize rear wheel drive automobile platform.

This platform is used in the following vehicles:

20002008 Jaguar S-Type
20002006 Lincoln LS
20022005 Ford Thunderbird
2008 Jaguar XF

Cancelled vehicles that were to use this platform:

2004 Ford Fairlane
2004 Lincoln D310 - Became the CD3-based Lincoln Zephyr[citation needed]
2005 Ford Mustang - Used the D2C platform instead

You learn something new every day

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
keithyboy
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 33

PostSubject: Re: Luxo-barge Banger   Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:21 pm

Admin wrote:
I have to admit I to thought it to be based on a Mondeo but it appears its based on a US Ford Chassis Shock

The Ford DEW platform (or DEW98) is Ford Motor Company's midsize rear wheel drive automobile platform.

This platform is used in the following vehicles:

20002008 Jaguar S-Type
20002006 Lincoln LS
20022005 Ford Thunderbird
2008 Jaguar XF

Cancelled vehicles that were to use this platform:

2004 Ford Fairlane
2004 Lincoln D310 - Became the CD3-based Lincoln Zephyr[citation needed]
2005 Ford Mustang - Used the D2C platform instead

You learn something new every day

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The X-type is Mondeo based.