View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Father Tiresias
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: A Close Shave   Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:35 pm

Had a close shave today that resulted in a minor leg injury and a scrape down the side of the Mercedes.

My drive is on a fairly steep slope down to the front door. Between the bottom of the drive and the front door is a flower bed (level with the drive on one side and built up in brick on the other). To one side of the flower bed are some steps down to another level that stop about four feet from the front door. The Mercedes was parked at the bottom of the drive, about five feet from the steps.

As it was a nice afternoon I decided to give it some TLC. Firstly washing it and then doing some fluid checks. Washing was fine then I opened the front door and leaned in to release the bonnet. As I leaned in the handbrake decided to release itself dragging me back down the drive because of the open door. The car rolled over two low brick pillars and down the steps stopping about a foot from the front door but trapping my leg between the open door and one of the brick pillars. The car was left sitting at an angle with one wheel in the air and one of the brick pillars embedded in the rear door.

Luckily it had stopped leaving my foot trapped but not with the full weight of the car pushing into it so I was able to wriggle myself free.

Surveying the damage luckily the majority of it was to the wall and not the car!! All the car appeared to have suffered was a scrape to one of the alloys and a small dent in the rear door. It was balancing with its floor on to of one of the brick pillars but there appeared to be no damage to the underside other than a couple of scrapes.

So the next problem was how to get it out of the predicament it was in!! Cue HiLux Surf, a towing strap and low ratio. The only place I could attach the strap to was the anti roll bar so strap attached I was able to slowly drag the car back up the steps.

I thought it then prudent to take it for a test drive and I'm glad I did. When turning left there was a dreadful graunching noise from the front of the car. Subsequent examination showed that pulling it out using the anti roll bar as a towing point had managed to drag the bar out of one of its bushes and every time I turned left the end of the bar was hitting the inside of the wheel. Luckily there was no other damage done and I was able to unbolt the roll bar clamp, replace the bush on the bar and with the help of a small ratchet strap drag the roll bar back in to place and bolt it back on.

The car, the house and my leg were VERY lucky. I have got a massive bruise where I was trapped but that is all. It could have been much worse and much more expensive to sort out!!
Back to top Go down
keithyboy
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2013-02-02

PostSubject: Re: A Close Shave   Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:12 am

It's probably best not to think about what could have happened too much. It could give you nightmares.
Back to top Go down
macp
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2013-01-22

PostSubject: Re: A Close Shave   Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:41 am

Glad the car has not suffered too much but more importantly you are ok Smile
Back to top Go down
c5alan
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: A Close Shave   Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:14 pm

sounds like you were quite lucky a couple more inches and you might not be walking around cars can always be fixed so glad to hear you are ok

2003 Citroen C5 HDI Exclusive only 218,000 miles on her so just about run in now family owned from new SOLD
1997 fourtrak SOLD thanks goodness complete death trap
2002 Renault Megane Scenic 1.9 DCI 112,000 miles soon to be on biodiesel
Back to top Go down
Father Tiresias
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: A Close Shave   Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:23 pm

Well, I used the car to go to work today and it seems to have survived to accident!! Just got to adjust the arch liner on the drivers side as it sometimes rubs on the wheel on bumps. Other than that, it steers straight, the steering wheel is still in alignment and the brakes are fine. I'll have a closer look at the underside next weekend but it doesn't look like there is anything other than a bit of scraping to the underseal.
Back to top Go down
skodaking
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2013-01-30

PostSubject: Re: A Close Shave   Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:41 pm

Good to hear you are ok...

I actually did something similar years ago, I was actually trying to fix a (non) working handbrake and had the car in gear to stop it rolling away...you guessed it! Leaned over the passenger seat, knocked it into neutral and was saved by a handily positioned lamppost before it got up any speed. Scary stuf all the same.
Back to top Go down
rhubarb
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 50

PostSubject: Re: A Close Shave   Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:35 am

Friggen heck, glad you're ok Shocked Wink
Back to top Go down
http://carmechanics.proboards.com
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: A Close Shave   Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:45 pm

OK, Close Shave Story.....um...bit spoilt for choice, but I find this one hard to forget.

1800 Marina estate. Filled up on the way home and the smell of petrol seemed more persistent than usual. Actually stopped to check, but it was dark and (of course) pissing down and I couldn't see anything. Home late and forgot about it.

Next day woken by nosey neighbour who complains my car is leaking petrol down the street. Indeed. ALL the way down the street gutter, under lots of much shinier cars.

What to do? Have a couple of large jerricans, but have learned that siphoning petrol out of a tank really only works well in the movies. Decide to remove the tank and decant petrol directly.

Lying under the car in a small river of petrol, I'd unbolted the (still almost full) leaking tank and lowered it onto my chest, where it was soaking my overalls, and had just started to wriggle out with it, when the nosy neighbour (who'd complained about the leak in the first place) stuck her head down over the gutter to check on progress.

Did I mention she was a CHAIN SMOKER?

I couldn't look at first.

Then I looked and couldn't speak.

Then I spoke, but I had to be VERY polite to avoid agitatating the STUPID COW, since the ash didn't look very stable.

One of my nearer death experiences.
Back to top Go down
RustyOldBanger
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 29

PostSubject: Re: A Close Shave   Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:59 pm

holy cow!!!!!!! that sounds like the closest of close shaves ! What a Face
one false move and that could have been the final curtain call for both of you.
Lady luck was smiling down on you that day.

Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: A Close Shave   Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:13 am

I imagine it would'nt have been quick enough to avoid a fairly high degree of unpleasantness.

Car would probably have been a write-off, too Smile
Back to top Go down
RustyOldBanger
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 29

PostSubject: Re: A Close Shave   Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:22 pm

I dont know if this counts as "a close shave" but on tuesday night this week I left work just after 9pm and on the homeward journey i was on the motorway approaching an entry slip road and moved over so the joining traffic could filter in to the nearside lane.
As I was passing the junction there was one remaining car to pass before I could move back to the nearside lane, while I was in the process of passing started speeding up so i couldn't pass.
This annoyed me somewhat so I accelerated some more to see if i could pass, after about 15 seconds and almost 95mph i thought better of it, backed off to my original speed of 65mph and saw the smug litttle bellend roar off into the distance.
Just as i signalled to move back to the nearside an unmarked police car behind gave me a brief flash of the blue lights then sped off and disappeared.
My heart sank, for a moment i thought i was nicked.
I can safely say i've been very very lucky Shock
To me that was a very close shave.

Won't be doing that again.........

PostSubject: Re: A Close Shave   

Back to top Go down

A Close Shave

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1