View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
macp
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2013-01-22

PostSubject: Big banger bills   Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:00 pm

So following on from my post re cambelt replacement which will cost in the region of 250 I have noticed just how firm the clutch pedal is. The consensus of opinion is its the release bearing so the clutch should be replaced too. The cost would be approx 250 and although nothing as yet has failed if I leave it eventually it will take out the peddle box a common issue apparently. This could cost up to 400. Now I know its an old car and I knew that but I could be into some big bills before I tackle any of the smaller issues which need looking at.

Sorry to bang on but I dont really know what to do for the best. I like the car and it was cheapish but ??
Back to top Go down
Father Tiresias
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Big banger bills   Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:04 pm

I think you need to look at this in a different way, not how much it will cost you now but how much it will cost over the time you intend to keep the vehicle. Let me give you an example of one of my own cars. My wife drives a Toyota HiLux Surf. We bought it about seven years ago. It had just had a new set of tyres (BF Goodrich AT 31.5 x 15) that would have cost between 500 - 800 and it had a full MoT. I paid 1150 for the car. In the seven years we have owned it I have replaced the front pads twice, all four glow plugs, rear shock absorbers and a suspension swivel.

This year it is going to need the following before it's MoT in September:

Complete exhaust system 190
Front suspension bushes 160
four new tyres 400

Will I do it? Hell yes. I intend to keep the car for probably another five years at least so the 750 it is going to cost this year will work out at 150 per year for the remainder of the minimum time I own it. Yes, there will be regular service items as well but they cost me less than 50 a year. So 200 a year to keep a car on the road. Not bad really when you consider that I put 150 of diesel in it every month!!.
Back to top Go down
macp
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Big banger bills   Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:32 pm

What an excellent post FT thankyou.
Back to top Go down
rhubarb
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Big banger bills   Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:37 am

Pedal box's are weak on these and will cause a heavy pedal...Get under the dash and have a nosey at it.
Back to top Go down
http://carmechanics.proboards.com
macp
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Big banger bills   Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:28 pm

The pedal box is ok for now but researching if the bearing in the clutch isnt replaced it takes out the pedal box due to the force applied to press the clutch pedal down so its a 250 bill now or wait and its upwards of 650 Question
Back to top Go down
macp
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Big banger bills   Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:39 am

I think I am bailing out chaps the bills look too big and it will take me a long time to recoup them. Both the clutch and cambelt need doing with equal urgency and thats going to cost me 500 to 600 quid. It drives fine apart from the stiff clutch and I could just drive around in it until one or the other goes bang but that will be like a ticking time bomb. In the end I got it wrong I bought hastily and I think you need to be more careful with old cars except that you are not out laying as much money to buy the car overall.
Back to top Go down
TechSupport
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2013-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Big banger bills   Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:44 am

I think you maybe right? It's always a difficult decision to make and since you haven't had it that long its a bit easier I suppose? I thik had it of been and old faithful which you had used for many years you might of thought differently and looked at the overall cost but with it being new to you and with this kind of a bill I would do the same. :Co:

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
Father Tiresias
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Big banger bills   Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:55 am

I guess the lesson here is to research your intended purchase thoroughly before parting with cash. Any common issues can be checked for and then if you discover that your intended purchase is suffering any of the symptoms you can either walk away or use it as a powerful bargaining tool.

One little thing, does the Polo use a cable or hydraulic clutch? I had a Mk2 Golf GTi many years ago that suffered from a very stiff and dead feeling clutch pedal. The cause was the clutch cable that exited the bulkhead and went through a tight 90 bend to get to the other side of the engine bay. Over time the cable had get very stiff. Replacement of the cable completely cured the problem. May be worth a look as a new cable doesn't cost much and is an easy DIY fix.
Back to top Go down
rhubarb
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Big banger bills   Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:31 am

It would be worth oiling up the pedal box and clutch cable first before chucking the towel in.
Back to top Go down
http://carmechanics.proboards.com
Father Tiresias
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Big banger bills   Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:52 am

rhubarb wrote:
It would be worth oiling up the pedal box and clutch cable first before chucking the towel in.

If you are going to lubricate the existing cable a dry lubricant should be use (graphite or silicon type). 'Wet' oils attract dirt particles, eventually dry out and then make the matter worse.
Back to top Go down
macp
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Big banger bills   Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:07 am

Father Tiresias wrote:
I guess the lesson here is to research your intended purchase thoroughly before parting with cash. Any common issues can be checked for and then if you discover that your intended purchase is suffering any of the symptoms you can either walk away or use it as a powerful bargaining tool.

One little thing, does the Polo use a cable or hydraulic clutch? I had a Mk2 Golf GTi many years ago that suffered from a very stiff and dead feeling clutch pedal. The cause was the clutch cable that exited the bulkhead and went through a tight 90 bend to get to the other side of the engine bay. Over time the cable had get very stiff. Replacement of the cable completely cured the problem. May be worth a look as a new cable doesn't cost much and is an easy DIY fix.

I agree a great lesson learned. I have had several dubs in my past and always been lucky working off the old addage "if it feels right and looks right it probably is right".

I had a look at the clutch cable and its a pretty simple affair no twists & turns. Its all over the Polo forums re this clutch problem and resultant pedal box issue and seems quite common. At least the pedal box still seems fine. Friends & family are also telling me to move it on so I will get a few little jobs done myself like the thermostat as I already have the parts which were cheap. I will then find & buy something Jap I think then SORN the Polo.

Thanks all.
Back to top Go down
Essex man
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Big banger bills   Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:46 pm

Does it matter if it is a bit stiff. In essence a banger is about being able to "put up" with the odd noise/inconvenience. Whining diffs, dropping out of gear etc do not necessarily need instant repair and whining diffs can go on whining for many many miles
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big banger bills   

Back to top Go down

Big banger bills

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1