View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
macp
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2013-01-22

PostSubject: Cambelt - your thoughts please   Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:10 pm

I inspected my cambelt today Im no expert but it looks ok what do you think ?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
TechSupport
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2013-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Cambelt - your thoughts please   Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:14 pm

Difficult to say from a pic, what's the tension like ?

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
macp
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Cambelt - your thoughts please   Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:26 pm

Certainly didnt feel tight maybe quarter of an inch movement at most. It looks in good order no signs of ageing.
Back to top Go down
TechSupport
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Cambelt - your thoughts please   Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:30 pm

If it looks good that's half the battle, does it have a tensioner on it ? and if so is it that in good shape to. I only ask because sometimes over the years people replace a belt and never bother with the tensioner which is equally important.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
rhubarb
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Cambelt - your thoughts please   Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:26 pm

What does the inside of the belt look like? Any signs of cracking?

Personally if I get a car new to me I change the cambelt kit regardless for peace of mind Wink
Back to top Go down
http://carmechanics.proboards.com
TechSupport
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Cambelt - your thoughts please   Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:31 pm

rhubarb wrote:

Personally if I get a car new to me I change the cambelt kit regardless for peace of mind Wink

Same here I always get it changed, might also be worth looking for any slight fraying? can you still see the manufacturers name on it? It can be difficult to know when it was last changed but as "rhubarb" says get it changed when in doubt.

Back to top Go down
Father Tiresias
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Cambelt - your thoughts please   Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:30 pm

If you have no record as to when a cam belt was changed, change it. They can look fine and then suddenly fail the next time you use the car. Replacing a cam belt is far cheaper than rebuilding/replacing an engine!!
Back to top Go down
macp
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Cambelt - your thoughts please   Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:45 pm

TechSupport wrote:
rhubarb wrote:

Same here I always get it changed, might also be worth looking for any slight fraying? can you still see the manufacturers name on it? It can be difficult to know when it was last changed but as "rhubarb" says get it changed when in doubt.

Just been out and had another look there is no fraying and the belt looks fine underneath no cracking whatsoever. You can also still see writing on the belt. I think Im going to risk it for a bit or until I can find the spons. Sorry if that comes across as if I am asking for advice then ignoring it.
Back to top Go down
TechSupport
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Cambelt - your thoughts please   Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:00 pm

You must do whatever your spons allow and no harm in asking for the opinion of others that's what we all do. Shake

Back to top Go down
macp
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Cambelt - your thoughts please   Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:58 pm

Im in a quandry

I got a quote of 250+ VAT to do both belts, tensioners & waterpump which isnt bad but its virtually half the cars value. If like me you didnt know if the cambelt needed changing would you just leave it and if it went bang just sell the car off as a non runner.
Back to top Go down
rhubarb
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Cambelt - your thoughts please   Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:54 pm

macp wrote:
Im in a quandry

I got a quote of 250+ VAT to do both belts, tensioners & waterpump which isnt bad but its virtually half the cars value. If like me you didnt know if the cambelt needed changing would you just leave it and if it went bang just sell the car off as a non runner.

You've got several options really.

Drive it until it goes cluck.

Shop around for a better quote, for just the cambelt kit.

Or buy a cambelt kit and DIY or get help with it.

Sticking my neck out, by the looks of that belt it could be only a couple of years old, but when it was last done did the whole kit get changed or just the belt? (I know you don't know the answer to this).

I know of a couple of decent mechanics in Cheshire...I can't help you personally cos I'm down in Eastbourne, Sussex.

They are not a bad job to do, but I don't know your skills?
Back to top Go down
macp
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Cambelt - your thoughts please   Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:08 pm

Thanks rhubarb

The price given to do the work I think is very competitive so like you say the alternative is let it go bang or DIY. I am enthusiastic but with little experience and having read up some say lifting or dropping the engine makes things much easier when doing the job. I only have a limited socket set and a few screwdrivers & pliers. I think DIY is probably a non starter.

I have a mate who is a trained VW mechanic but works for Bentley now. Occasionally he will do a foreigner when he has time. he will probably want 50 to do it and pricing up the kit & tensioners it comes to about 150 so 200 in total.

People reckon it tends to be the tensioners that cause the problem on these engines more so than the belt snapping.
Back to top Go down
rhubarb
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Cambelt - your thoughts please   Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:40 pm

macp wrote:
Thanks rhubarb

The price given to do the work I think is very competitive so like you say the alternative is let it go bang or DIY. I am enthusiastic but with little experience and having read up some say lifting or dropping the engine makes things much easier when doing the job. I only have a limited socket set and a few screwdrivers & pliers. I think DIY is probably a non starter.

I have a mate who is a trained VW mechanic but works for Bentley now. Occasionally he will do a foreigner when he has time. he will probably want 50 to do it and pricing up the kit & tensioners it comes to about 150 so 200 in total.

People reckon it tends to be the tensioners that cause the problem on these engines more so than the belt snapping.

Yep tensioners are the weak spot.

Sounds a plan, get your mate to do it Wink
Back to top Go down
badshot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2009-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Cambelt - your thoughts please   Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:24 pm

buy the belt, tensioner and waterpump from a well known online motor factors and get a local mechanic to do the work for cash, the most you should pay is around 50-60 for the bits and 150 for the mechanic

Father Tiresias
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Cambelt - your thoughts please   Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:35 pm

macp wrote:
Im in a quandry

You've forgotten to add on the 150 recovery fee for when it goes bang as its bound to happen somewhere awkward like a motorway!!
Back to top Go down
macp
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Cambelt - your thoughts please   Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:03 pm

Father Tiresias wrote:
macp wrote:
Im in a quandry

You've forgotten to add on the 150 recovery fee for when it goes bang as its bound to happen somewhere awkward like a motorway!!

Well I bought a car because I need one so it would be daft to knowingly allow it to go bang.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Cambelt - your thoughts please   Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:30 am

Its a gamble/judgement call, and since you've seen it, your guess is as good as anybody's.

Good reason to prefer timing CHAIN's or non-interference engines. This is the first rubber-band car I've had.

I'm currently relying on someone elses translation of the Chinese service records for my car to justify not doing the job, and I'll be annoyed with myself if that turns out to be a mistake.

I fully understand your reluctance to DIY this, since I believe it can be a pig of a job on some cars, with some distaster potential.

However, to get preachy, I don't really buy "I have a very limited socket set" as a reason. That's easy and fairly inexpensive to correct (unless there are special tools required) and a good basic tool set will probably continue to be useful long after this car has gone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cambelt - your thoughts please   

Back to top Go down

Cambelt - your thoughts please

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1