View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
macp
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2013-01-22

PostSubject: Reselling your banger   Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:17 pm

Strip me naked and call me Susan but I am smelling some profit in my latest purchase. Have any of you swiftly sold on your banger ?
Back to top Go down
Father Tiresias
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Reselling your banger   Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:00 pm

Hmm, my drive appears to have every car that I've bought in the last ten years still in it Speak no evil
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Reselling your banger   Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:30 am

It'd be a good trick if you could do it, but then again, maybe not.

Once you start thinking about resale value, then you start worrying about scratches etc, and a lot of the relaxed quality of banger ownership is lost.

I've never sold any car. They've gone when an expensive or badly timed MOT failure coincided with the tax disk running out, since I've never had SORN capability. If I'd had a drive, it would have been full, as above.

Classics would probably be a different matter, but I don't think of them as bangers, and (with the possible exception of my first car, a Trojan 2000), I don't think I've had one.

I made a sort of profit with the Dodge workshop truck I lived in in London. Bought for 1800 quid from a French guy who was in Vietnam until Dien Bien Phu (sp?), saved me well in excess of 10,000 quid in rent, stolen with an insurance payout of 1600 quid. Special case, though, and it probably stopped me bothering to get a mortgage, which would probably have made me much more.
Back to top Go down
alexg
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Reselling your banger   Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:24 pm

Funnily enough yes, today in fact. I won a poorly advertised 1987 Corolla on ebay last week. I collected that Wednesday and handed over 275 for my unseen 34k mile Toyota with short tax & good test. It broke down on the way home, but with some fresh petrol and an Italian tune-up it seemed to run a treat.

I stuck it back on ebay the same day with better photos. Winner collected from me 3 hours ago - 640.

It's not always as easy as that though...

1985 Sinclair C5
@alex_the_beard
Back to top Go down
macp
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2013-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Reselling your banger   Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:26 am

You make a good point ed regarding scratches and the like. And like you alex I have turned cars around fairly quickly and made a few hundred quid a few times. In the old days it allowed me to buy a better car than I started with.
Back to top Go down
RustyOldBanger
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 29

PostSubject: Re: Reselling your banger   Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:02 pm

I dont know how i have managed it, but nearly every old nail i have owned, with the exception of a couple have been sold on for a modest profit.
It doesnt matter how bad the car is, if it's cheap enough it's guaranteed to sell.

The most recent one was an awful metallic green G reg fiesta that i acquired from work. It was a trade in that was destined to be scrapped.
Mine for 40 Bargain! taxed for 6 months and it went straight through it's MOT. An unexpected bonus.
Inside it was absolutely rancid, previous owner on 60 fags a day and kept the windows shut.
After fumigation it was used daily for 6 months. Sold it when the tax expired for 250.
Result !
I replaced it with an Astra purchased for 200 then a few short months later was written off by a woman driver who reversed at speed and smahed the driver's front wing and suspension.
Insurance paid out 700. Doesn't really count as reselling but a good result anyway.

Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Reselling your banger   Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:51 pm

It would be safe to say the people are always looking for cheap cars, especially ones with some life left in them. But, and this is the big but, are you talking about selling cars for profit and running a business. Because then we are into a whole new ball game.
Back to top Go down
Essex man
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Reselling your banger   Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:53 pm

alexg wrote:
Funnily enough yes, today in fact. I won a poorly advertised 1987 Corolla on ebay last week. I collected that Wednesday and handed over 275 for my unseen 34k mile Toyota with short tax & good test. It broke down on the way home, but with some fresh petrol and an Italian tune-up it seemed to run a treat.

I stuck it back on ebay the same day with better photos. Winner collected from me 3 hours ago - 640.

It's not always as easy as that though...

You were luck the new owner didnt wonder why your name was not on V5?
Back to top Go down
RustyOldBanger
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 29

PostSubject: Re: Reselling your banger   Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:16 pm

It's not a commercial venture at all, I just love playing with old cars, always have done and will continue to do so for as long as my body allows me to.
For me its all about the pleasure of breating life back into a car that would otherwise be on a one way ticket to the big scrappy in the sky, then driving it for a while.
To be honest I don't ever really want to sell them on, its just that friends and family are always approaching me asking about the car I have and want to buy it from me.
Then the cycle starts all over again.
Its never been about profit, its just nice to break even or make a little every now and again.
Old cars are a way of life for me.

Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Reselling your banger   Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:32 am

RustyOldBanger wrote:
It's not a commercial venture at all, I just love playing with old cars, always have done and will continue to do so for as long as my body allows me to.
For me its all about the pleasure of breating life back into a car that would otherwise be on a one way ticket to the big scrappy in the sky, then driving it for a while.
To be honest I don't ever really want to sell them on, its just that friends and family are always approaching me asking about the car I have and want to buy it from me.
Then the cycle starts all over again.
Its never been about profit, its just nice to break even or make a little every now and again.
Old cars are a way of life for me.

No problem, no harm meant. I am a motor trader. I am a little concerned that selling a car to a private individual that is not actually in your name could come back to haunt you! Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reselling your banger   

Back to top Go down

Reselling your banger

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1