At the end of my tether car grinding me down :(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joloke
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: At the end of my tether car grinding me down :(   Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:14 am

Ive had my 190d just three months and though I love the car to bit lots of small issues are beginning to grind me down and I don't know where to start first?

I had a classic Mini in the past and vowed id never let the next classic get out of hand as in the end the Mini ended up costing 3 times what it was worth in bills and still wasn't right :Cry2:

I wont cut corners but need to be sensible and need to do as much as I can myself Wink

Tyres

It needs tyres that's not a problem but the tyre place which is an honest little independent said the present tyres were not sealing because of corrosion on the inner rims where the beads sit and I should really get them refurbished before getting new rubber No

They ground down the corrosion last time but they said the rims need refurbishing and by all accounts that could cost 300 plus tyres its over 500 :Cry2:

I am beginning to think alloys are more trouble than they are worth,I do like the alloys they really suit the car but is it worth spending a quarter of the cars worth to get them refurbed? Should i revert to steels and hubcaps?

Wiper

The wiper started dragging after all the bad weather so we replaced it with a brand new OEM blade now its started doing it again silent

Ive used fast glass to clean and degrease the screen several times but the brand new wiper still drags unless you use half the washer bottle contents then acts fine for that outing until you use the car again!

Engine knocking

When I first got it you would start the car and it got full oil pressure now it takes time to come up Rolling Eyes

And now there is a knocking noise or a clatter?

Yes it knocks and clatters and I think they did new as its a diesel but I am sure this isn't normal?

I first thought timing chain then realised it could cost a third of the cars worth to replace that :Cry2:

Then upon advice I got differing answers depending on who you ask...

Its a diesel don't worry about the timing chain it will be fine

They need replacing at 100k (this has done 150)

Its a diesel they don't need doing until 250k

When they are going you will know as the car will sound like a diesel lm lm lm

Grrrr it is a diesel Headbang Headbang Headbang

It will make a clatter or knocking sound (it already does its a diesel La )

Or......................

Is this knocking something else?

Its mainly there at start up then as the engine idles down it starts to behave itself or so it seems.

Electrics

The rear lights have issues Rolling Eyes

For some reason it eats tail lights like sweets Headbang

Clean contacts,grounds,check everything with multimeter everything checks out but it still continues to blow tail bulbs!

The Brake and indicators last and dont blow just the tail lights Headbang Headbang

Then there's the reversing lights they stopped working then started again intermittently now have stopped altogether again!

The bulbs are still OK there are not blown its driving me mad!

Condensation on the inside of the windscreen

My boot lets in water OK I know that and I have bought some creeping crack cure to remedy the rear screen rubber until I can get it replaced but its been too damp to sort it so I have accepted it for now.

people say if you have water in the boot that's causing your condensation,but its on the windscreen miles away from the boot and the rear screen doesn't appear to condensate anything like the windscreen and that's right on top of the boot!

Ive had the front carpets up its bone dry under there and the under bonnet drains seem OK and so do the sunroof drains as far as I can see and the headlining isn't stained or damp No

I love the car and love driving it when it behaves itself it drives lovely and though the interior still needs a bit more cleaning there's no bolster wear and virtually no rust on the body or underside or sills etc Wink

Thing is what to do first?

I am tearing my hair out (quite literally)

Am I going to end up in a ditch if ignore the tyres?

Is the engine going to go kaboom because of this knocking?

Am I going to drive into a hedge because the wiper starts playing up and i cant see where I am going ?

Is somebody going to drive into me whilst reversing because they never saw me coming?

Or into me as they never knew I was there at night because the rear bulbs have blown on route yet again?

Damsel in Distress!!!

Help!!!!!

Seriously I am at the end of my tether with a car I love and deep down I know its a good one but just needs a little tlc :Cry2:

Thoughts? Ideas? Order in which to tackle things?

Jodie Smile

OldToot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2010-02-15

PostSubject: Re: At the end of my tether car grinding me down :(   Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:55 am

That's a long list I can't really help with I'm afraid.

I did get my wipers to run lovely with the help of the water repellent stuff from Poundland (rain-x type stuff - it's a red bottle)

I polished the screen with Autoglym Glass Polish which is very mildly abrasive, then treated it with Pound-x. Then, as it's only a quid, I poured a decent sized slug (maybe 35p worth?) into the screen wash bottle too, on the assumption that it'd top-up the coating when I cleaned the screen. Works lovely.

CAUTION - if the Pound-X reacts with your screen cleaner and blows up or something, it ain't my fault!
Back to top Go down
macp
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2013-01-22

PostSubject: Re: At the end of my tether car grinding me down :(   Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:06 pm

Sorry to read of your issues I had the problem with tyres deflating on an old Volvo . I used a local mobile alloy wheel repairer who charged me 50 per wheel I think my local tyre company removed & refitted the tyre prior to and after the repair. I am stumped by the odd electrical issues which sounds like a surge somewhere. I have heard of loom problems on the W124 but not on the 190. I guess it depends on how long you want to keep it and what it will cost you to get it looked at by an auto electrician and a mechanic. They may not need it long to diagnose the problem then you can either cut your losses and flog it or repair it. Im teaching you to suck eggs here im sure just trying to help.

ETA:
Have you posted on the 190 forum [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or done a search for some of your issues. I seem to remember something about changing the wiper arm as the spring becomes weak over time. Not sure if you can just replace the spring.
Back to top Go down
Father Tiresias
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: At the end of my tether car grinding me down :(   Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:42 pm

A can of tyre weld usually cures alloys that don't seal properly. About a fiver a can.
Back to top Go down
skodaking
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2013-01-30

PostSubject: Re: At the end of my tether car grinding me down :(   Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:49 pm

Sounds like a hair-pulling situation right enough...

My thoughts are...engine knock can be cured by something as simple as cleaning spark plugs or even just changing the brand of fuel, or it can mean a new engine!

Part of me thinks that sticking to bangernomic principles would mean consigning the motor to the great scrapyard in the sky.

On the other hand, I had a similar wiper problem which was caused by the springs that keep the wipers against the screen corroding and effectively pressing too hard, a bit of 3-in-1 sorted that.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
c5alan
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: At the end of my tether car grinding me down :(   Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:08 am

Wheels if you like them try getting hold of a set of steel rims get the tyres off the alloys and refurbish your self lots of elbow grease and paint should have them looking good. Else try a set of part worms and save up the pennies.

Condensation get a couple of the pound land damp traps they are wee plastic boxes half full of wee gel pellets good tip for anyone with steamy windows. But you will need to get the parcel shelf out and check for rust good luck.

Wiper have you tried lubricating the arm lots of wd40 worked for me as the grease had gone hard this softened it and made the wiper move easier might help plus aero wipers are a great mod

Engine knocking when was it last serviced or oil checked had an old Audi petrol that was using oil so started to sound like a diesel when a top up was due

Lights dono check the fuse maybe actually take it out check for corrosion or if its breaking. Try checking the earth point

2003 Citroen C5 HDI Exclusive only 218,000 miles on her so just about run in now family owned from new SOLD
1997 fourtrak SOLD thanks goodness complete death trap
2002 Renault Megane Scenic 1.9 DCI 112,000 miles soon to be on biodiesel
Back to top Go down
rhubarb
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 50

PostSubject: Re: At the end of my tether car grinding me down :(   Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:04 am

Knocking noise, oil and filter needed asap..Without hearing the noise it's hard to diagnose from here.

Bulbs blowing because the boot is getting damp.

Get the tyres removed and get them to put bead sealant on..

The timing chain (if worn) would rattle not knock...Need more info, does the knocking clear as it warms up?

Chill out and enjoy your German barge Wink
Back to top Go down
http://carmechanics.proboards.com
ventorafred
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 79

PostSubject: Re: At the end of my tether car grinding me down :(   Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:08 am

Father Tiresias wrote:
A can of tyre weld usually cures alloys that don't seal properly. About a fiver a can.

This is true,
kept many a tyre inflated for blinking months
using this,

for damp in the boot, a plastic box with lid, stab some holes in the lid
and put a bag of salt in it,
put the lid back on, kept my old cortina dry as a bone this winter
salt just pulls in the moisture

Back to top Go down
ventorafred
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: At the end of my tether car grinding me down :(   Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:14 am

As for the timing chain,
it I imagine will last far longer than 100k
cambelts average 70 - 90
so a chain should waaaaaay out do that,
does it have a chain tensioner?
maybe the tensioner (if it has one) is wearing causing the chain to whip a tad??
Back to top Go down
ventorafred
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: At the end of my tether car grinding me down :(   Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:20 am

Now condensation on the windscreen
this is a curiosity for me
Moved house two years ago, never had condensation on the inside of my
cars ever, apart from maybe a couple of real old rides
Brought 3 cars since I moved house, and ALL of them get it parked on the street
Im north facing, cant think of any rhyme or reason why?? they do it
stop at my mothers house or a friends for a night, nothing!!
go figure!!! ? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: At the end of my tether car grinding me down :(   

Back to top Go down

At the end of my tether car grinding me down :(

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1