rusted floor pannels possible repair???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
c5alan
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: rusted floor pannels possible repair???   Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:07 pm

The new bus I have got needs a couple of holes in the floor repaired I am thinking just cut back the rust and rivet in a new piece over the hole as a short term fix until I can get some pennies sorted and get it welded properly. Is this just a waste of time?

I knew she had some rust probs and thought most was just surface but a couple of points in the rear foot wells are all the way through. I am thinking grind back to good metal and coat in primer and paint then use gutter sealant round the edge, place new metal on top, rivet in place thus making it water tight finally paint the hole lot. When the pennies are better drill out the rivets and get a plate welded in place.

2003 Citroen C5 HDI Exclusive only 218,000 miles on her so just about run in now family owned from new SOLD
1997 fourtrak SOLD thanks goodness complete death trap
2002 Renault Megane Scenic 1.9 DCI 112,000 miles soon to be on biodiesel
Back to top Go down
stereosound
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2007-05-16

PostSubject: Re: rusted floor pannels possible repair???   Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:23 pm

Is this the Diahatsu fourtrack?

Is it a separate chassis?

If its just the floor rusted and not the load bearing chassis you should be fine doing what you suggest Thumb

If its not load bearing it should even pass mot standards without any issues :Wky:

Only thing I would say is if your going to cut out the rust and pop rivets repair plates make sure you paint everything well including the edges of the repair panels and the holes and use a good liberal dose if seam sealer to stop water ingress Thumb

Back to top Go down
c5alan
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: rusted floor pannels possible repair???   Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:44 pm

Yeah its the fourtrak and has a seperate chassis. What about seat belt mounting points and anything else that might be mot failable got a few months before I need to worry and she had no advisorys last time so should be ok rust wise but want to be prepared

2003 Citroen C5 HDI Exclusive only 218,000 miles on her so just about run in now family owned from new SOLD
Back to top Go down
stereosound
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2007-05-16

PostSubject: Re: rusted floor pannels possible repair???   Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:21 am

Id of thought you really need to get it welded if its anywhere near seat belt anchor points but just plain floor pans nowhere near anything structural I think you would be ok as the chassis is the strength of the vehicle.

However if it is near anything structural or load bearing for you own safety sake get it welded Thumb

Back to top Go down
c5alan
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: rusted floor pannels possible repair???   Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:52 pm

well due to the suspension falling out she is in the body shop getting that fixed and gona get an idea of what else needs done so will see if the floor is going to be a rivet or weld in job

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: rusted floor pannels possible repair???   

Back to top Go down

rusted floor pannels possible repair???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1