AuthorMessage
macp
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2013-01-22

PostSubject: My VW Polo 16V   Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:44 pm

Dear all

Just bought this a 1999 VW Polo 1.4 16V which are actually quite rare. I got it with 58,000mls & 4 virtually new tyres a 12mth ticket and a tidy interior. There is a little bit of corrosion here and there but nothing serious just needs a little tidying. Overall though it looks fine. I was quite surprised by the performance and torque for such a small & revvy motor.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by macp on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
macp
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: My VW Polo 16V   Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:18 pm

So having driven it for a bit now I notice the temp guage slumps to zero and occasionally moves a little so I suspect either a new thermostat or temp sender. Im hoping the temp sender as its a lot simpler to do. Im also hoping the fuel gauge is faulty too as I stuck a tenner in it last night and have covered almost 30mls and its almost in the red so 17.94mpg Question no smell of petrol anywhere though. Suspension is past its best and the leccy windows are slow to move. On the upside its pretty fast and seems to drive ok and has a decent interior. I was planning to spend on it but think I will just drive it and maintain it where needed. 650 is cheap I guess as I havent seen another for under a grand.
Back to top Go down
Father Tiresias
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: My VW Polo 16V   Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:50 pm

macp wrote:
I stuck a tenner in it last night and have covered almost 30mls and its almost in the red so 17.94mpg

macp wrote:
On the upside its pretty fast

Hint: remove foot from floor lm
Back to top Go down
macp
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: My VW Polo 16V   Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:07 pm

Father Tiresias wrote:
macp wrote:
I stuck a tenner in it last night and have covered almost 30mls and its almost in the red so 17.94mpg

macp wrote:

Hmm yes thought about that when I wrote it Smile

Still I havent been wragging it, I think its linked to the thermostat which I reckon is buggered.
Back to top Go down
macp
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: My VW Polo 16V   Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:36 pm

Sorry to bang on just thought people might like to see some better pics following a bit of a spruce up. Used my multipurpose cleaner and a soft brush to remove all of the mildew and dirt. Replaced the screws & caps in the numberplates and a new tax holder. Cheap but freshens things up. Fuel light has only just come on so I am pleased its doing what its supposed to be doing mpg wise according to the owner forums. Cleaned up the throttle body and MAF using carb cleaner which cost me nothing to do and improves running etc.

Back to top Go down
TechSupport
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2013-01-25

PostSubject: Re: My VW Polo 16V   Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:22 pm

Looks like a nice motor and you may well get may more miles out this little gem . Clap

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
macp
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: My VW Polo 16V   Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:03 pm

First proper long run out in it today and it really is a little gem. That little 16v unit is so willing & eager and plenty fast enough for normal road use. Any thoughts I had of selling it on have faded away. I think its a keeper Smile
Back to top Go down
Father Tiresias
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: My VW Polo 16V   Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:45 pm

That's a nice tidy little car. Wouldn't mind one myself for the daily commute.
Back to top Go down
rhubarb
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: My VW Polo 16V   Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:33 pm

macp wrote:
Father Tiresias wrote:
macp wrote:

macp wrote:

Hmm yes thought about that when I wrote it Smile

Still I havent been wragging it, I think its linked to the thermostat which I reckon is buggered.

If the thermostat is stuck open then the car will run rich and use more fuel.(And won't get up to full temperature)
Back to top Go down
http://carmechanics.proboards.com
keithyboy
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2013-02-02

PostSubject: Re: My VW Polo 16V   Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:57 pm

Fuel use does point to the stat. Nice little car though.
Back to top Go down
macp
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: My VW Polo 16V   Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:22 am

Previous to my last post mpg seems about right averaging about 30mpg. The thing is the temp guage does read when the car is in traffic or stationary. The consensus of opinion is its the coolant temp sensor. Its an easier job so I will change it out and see.
Back to top Go down
rhubarb
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: My VW Polo 16V   Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:05 pm

macp wrote:
Previous to my last post mpg seems about right averaging about 30mpg. The thing is the temp guage does read when the car is in traffic or stationary. The consensus of opinion is its the coolant temp sensor. Its an easier job so I will change it out and see.

It should be doing more than that...The stat is sticking open, trust me I've been doing this for a living for 20 years Wink
Back to top Go down
http://carmechanics.proboards.com
keithyboy
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: My VW Polo 16V   Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:56 pm

macp wrote:

It's the stat mate. The reason it's reading in traffic is because the temp will creep up in traffic.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: My VW Polo 16V   Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:39 am

Could you investigate this by covering the radiator or disabling the fan?

If you get a marked indicated temperature rise, then that would indicate that the sensor is probably OK, and tend to suggest a faulty thermostat.

Of course overdoing it could cook your engine (head gasket, etc), especially if its under-indicating, but done moderately it should be fairly safe.
Back to top Go down
keithyboy
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: My VW Polo 16V   Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:17 am

edlithgow wrote:
Could you investigate this by covering the radiator or disabling the fan?

If you get a marked indicated temperature rise, then that would indicate that the sensor is probably OK, and tend to suggest a faulty thermostat.

Of course overdoing it could cook your engine (head gasket, etc), especially if its under-indicating, but done moderately it should be fairly safe.

Is the fan actually coming on? The gauge in my Audi reads low and has since I bought it. The fans cut in at about 70 deg on the gauge.

Take it for a decent run to get some heat into it then leave it idling for a bit and see if it gets to the point where the fan comes on. If the fan comes on whilst the gauge is barely registering, then it's more likely to be the sensor. However, that wouldn't affect your fuel consumption.

You can also test the stat on the car. Start it from cold and hold the top hose. It should stay cool then heat up all at once when the stat opens. If it heats up gradually with the engine, the stat is open.

Alfa 156s have an appetite for them too, which at 35 a time really isn't funny. There is a bodge of sorts which involves putting the stat from a Renault 5 in the top hose. I've not done it but I know people do it on other makes too.
Back to top Go down
macp
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: My VW Polo 16V   Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:39 pm

I just went out and ran the engine the top hose became very warm/hot within 4mins. Not sure how hot that hose gets to be honest. It looks a relatively easy job to change it as it seems to be on the right side of the engine block just under the dizzy.
Back to top Go down
macp
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: My VW Polo 16V   Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:58 am

So I decided to fit the temp sender last night. I am still waiting for the new thermostat and I was going to do that first to see if it resolved the problem but I thought bugger it. It looked simple enough release the pressure in the header tank pull out the clip on the sensor and remove the old sensor. I had placed a bowl underneath but I still was not expecting so much water to pour out. Could I get the clip back in for the new sensor ? could I buggery. I then commenced stripping down various bits that were in the way just so I could see what I was doing. Success its in I top up the coolant and run the engine and no leaks Very Happy . As some have said it did not cure the temp guage issue but it has cured the over revving problem. Next step fit the new thermostat and hopefully that will be it.
Back to top Go down
macp
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: My VW Polo 16V   Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:50 pm

So to continue new thermostat has arrived with new cover. Rolled up my sleeves and got stuck in and I was scratching my head when I noted there was no thermostat to replace so I fitted the new one. On the test drive I noted the guage was beginning to register so thought ok that was the problem but I noticed the temp rising towards 110 and still climbing slowly ???

Schoolboy error took it all apart and I could see the stat had broken through the bridge inside the thermostat cover. Stupidly I had used the old cover so I fitted the new cover took it for a long drive and eureka its perfect. Can only assume the previous owner had the same problem and either could not see what the problem was or saw the problem and had no new stat cover so just removed the stat and left it like that.

Unfortunately the uneven idling problem came back so I stripped out the throttle body cleaned it thoroughly with a toothbrush and carb cleaner and as far down into the inlet manifold as I could. I then unhooked the battery for a few hours as I read it clears the ecu memory and resets the throttle body. Bugger me all that worked and touch wood its been perfect ever since.
Back to top Go down
skodaking
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2013-01-30

PostSubject: Re: My VW Polo 16V   Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:11 am

Great result...congrats!
:Che:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My VW Polo 16V