View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
stereosound
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2007-05-16

PostSubject: New Tyres Recomendations please?   Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:19 am

Ive noticed that three of my tyres are fine but one is starting to get cracks in the sidewall Sad

I was going to replace just one but though legal the others have seen better days and I have not got a clue how old they are No

With this in mind I have decided to buy a whole new set and was thinking of Yokohama Blueath Ae1

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Just wondered what others thought?

Or can anybody recommend a decent set of tyres for a similar budget that they have had good results with?

I am looking for grippy and durable with low noise and comfort,not really looking for sporty tires as such Rolling Eyes

Thanks

Jodie Smile

Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: New Tyres Recomendations please?   Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:48 am

Admin wrote:
Ive noticed that three of my tyres are fine but one is starting to get cracks in the sidewall Sad

I was going to replace just one but though legal the others have seen better days and I have not got a clue how old they are No

.....etc, see above.

I am looking for grippy and durable with low noise and comfort,not really looking for sporty tires as such Rolling Eyes

Jodie Smile

AFAIK all tyres carry a code moulded on the side wall which allows you to work out the age of your tyres.

You then have to decide how old is too old. This is a bit controversial, and can come down to a personal judgement call.

The most specific statements from the tyre industry suggest 10 years, but latterly they've tended to defer to the car manufacturers recommendation, which are often lower. This deference is due largely to damaging US litigation between Bridgestone, who produced some sub-standard tyres, and Ford, who recommended a very low tyre pressure for the Explorer, which tended to roll-over and kill people when they burst. This incident, and subsequent investigation, produced most of the publicly available information on tyre failure mechanisms.

More Detail on Tyre Age Limits (Skip it if you get bored easily)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

EDIT : The article refers to two tyre industry associations that have made recommendations

“The British Rubber Manufacturers Association (BRMA) recommended practice issued June, 2001, states "BRMA members strongly recommend that unused tyres should not be put into service if they are over six years old and that all tyres should be replaced ten years from the date of their manufacture."

The British Tyre Manufacturers Association current recommendation, in contrast, says bugger-all, referring the reader to the vehicle owners handbook.

Mine is in Chinese. I'd bet the price of a new set of tyres that it says bugger-all too, but then its 25 years old.

Perhaps more relevantly for local conditions for me here in Taiwan, they also refer to The Japan Automobile Tire Manufacturers Association (JATMA) who's recommended practice issued May, 2005, is quoted as stating:-

" it is recommended that all tires (including spare tires) that were made more than ten years ago be replaced with new tires." though they also attempt to pass the buck to the owners handbook.

So both these recommendations, including the one from the famously anal Japanese, [EDIT: That should perhaps now be "famously (at least until Fukushima) anal Japanese"] are for 10 years.

These are of course general recommendations and not necessarily best current practice.

Bridgestone-Firestone has apparently adopted the Japanese recommendation, with the caveat that there is/was no specific technical basis for it.

“we believe it is appropriate to follow the JATMA recommendation in the interest of further encouraging consumers to focus on the importance of maintaining and properly replacing their tires.”

They also defer to the owners handbook.

Ford and Chrysler apparently recommend 6 years regardless of tread or use. They get sued a lot, as you might expect.

This gives them a vested interest slightly different to that of the tyre producers, who don't want to get stuck with ageing inventory.

The OTHER judgement-call is "How bad is too bad" re the sidewall cracking, and that's controversial and subjective too. The only actual standards I've seen, are that (a) you shouldn't be able to see the internal belting. (e.g. UK MOT) and that (b) cracks shouldn't be more than 2/32" (USA, sorry. That's about 1.6 mm in the developed world) but I dunno how the crack depth is operationally defined/measured.

Beyond that its subjective, but I've run lots of tyres in the UK with fine cracks that I consider cosmetic. This ref matches my predjudices nicely. I've got lots more, but I'll spare you.

"The weather-checking or “dry-rot,” as it's known, poses no risk to the performance of the casing in its minor stages. In fact, in order for it to result in any damage, it must extend to the steel body cables or be greater than 2/32 of an inch deep. Of course, not all sidewall cracks should be ignored. Large circumferential cracks about an inch above the rim flange and small cracks near the shoulder should be inspected by a tire professional. But just like the theory that all roadside tire debris is the result of faulty retreads, the court of public opinion has already determined that all tires with sidewall cracks should be immediately removed from service."

Can't recommend any tyres, I'm afraid, since I've only ever bought remoulds in the UK, but I think your "grippy" and "durable" criteria are to some extent mutually exclusive.

My current tyres are Bridgestones. I won't buy them again, not because I know of anything wrong with them, but because they don't show a maximum permitted pressure. This seems evasive to me, and probably reflects thier litigation history with Ford.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: New Tyres Recomendations please?   Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:11 am

Example of the tyre age code, assuming I'm interpreting it correctly (URL tagged as an image doesn't display for some reason, but you can have a look on Flickr)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Front NS : JDJ1005 : Week 10 (ie Feb) 2005

They are all Bridgstone 175/70R13 SF-226 radials. There are lots of other codes on the tyres but the only other one that varies seems to be WK154941-2 (FOS) and WK154941-1 (other three wheels). I've no idea what that means but suspect it might be a mould number.

They were fitted as a matched set, and are still well within the manufactures advised 10 year lifespan. OTOH, they are outside the 6 year lifespan apparently now advised by many car makers.

That seems to be a blanket advisory that has to cover some very heavy and high performance vehicles, which my sub-litre car isn't, especially when driven by me. A lot of the impetus for it seems to have come from Germany, where high speed driving is legal, and the high profile US litigation involving Ford Explorer rollovers.

Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: New Tyres Recomendations please?   Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:14 am

Thought I'd try the "BBCode" for display in the post. Seems to work.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], on Flickr
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Tyres Recomendations please?   

Back to top Go down

New Tyres Recomendations please?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1