View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
OldToot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2010-02-15

PostSubject: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

Someone crashed into our car the other day. I'm still waiting for the insurance to get back to me, but I suspect that our car will be written off. It's perfectly roads legal and driveable, but it needs a new rear bumper and wheel arch liner, plus the body work is damaged above and underneath the bumper. I'd have thought that the cost of the bumper plus body repair and paint will exceed the value of the car.

We had been thinking about getting a larger car anyway as the current one is a bit snug if we go away, and doesn't have enough legroom in the back. We also occasionally need to move furniture - that means roof bars on the old car which is less than ideal if the item is heavy!

I'd like something not too bad on fuel and reliable, with a bit of room - for no more than 1k. We had a Multipla previously and that was perfect as there are three of us, so we had the whole back free for 'stuff' and a seat each. I wouldn't want to get a cheap one again though as I know what would need doing. Once bitten etc. We did love the twin sunroofs in it though.

Anyway, my research so far seems to suggest that you can get a fairly tidy looking diesel 406 estate for 1k. Any thoughts on these, or any other alternatives? I also quite like the look of the Saab 9-3 diesel but at 1k the ones I've seen so far all seem to have issues.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
OldToot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2010-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   Tue May 26, 2015 1:33 pm

Just an update on this. The old Citroen now has over 180k miles on it and is still fine.

I've had to replace one of the idler wheels on the auxiliary belt, a rear brake line, and, er, that's abut it. A captive nut failed on an engine mount too, and I've put a new battery in it - and the back box is held on with gun gum and a big jubilee clip at the moment - but really that's it. There was a time the a/c compressor started making a godawful noise, like there was a midget with a pickaxe trying to escape, but that fixed itself after a few weeks and has been fine for over 12 months since.

I did get the timing belt changed on purchase as a precaution, and it was just as well I did as the garage showed me pictures of the one that was in - it was held together with dust and good luck.

The engine management light would still come on if the bulb hadn't blown, because the fault I mentioned earlier is the EGR valve. It's stuck, and so are the nuts holding it to the engine. In their wisdom, though, Citroen have made the nuts really hard to get to, and my mechanic tells me that short of taking the engine out so he can heat them up, he can't get the sods off, so it's not worth fixing. I reckon I am slightly down on power and mpg as a result, but it still does 48/50 mpg on a run.

It's very reliable, cheap to fix ... and really, really dull.
Back to top Go down
Juan-Kerlot
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   Tue May 26, 2015 5:42 pm

Vauxhall Omega?
Back to top Go down
EasternBloc
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2013-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   Tue May 26, 2015 11:43 pm

Glad to hear it is going so well. Shame about the mpg/power but like you say a big job mushrooms out of a what is a little job!
Back to top Go down
EasternBloc
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2013-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:18 pm

How goes the possible change of motor? Smile (Unless it's already changed!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   

Back to top Go down

Large, relaible, economical and under 1k

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2