View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
OldToot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2010-02-15

PostSubject: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:05 pm

Someone crashed into our car the other day. I'm still waiting for the insurance to get back to me, but I suspect that our car will be written off. It's perfectly roads legal and driveable, but it needs a new rear bumper and wheel arch liner, plus the body work is damaged above and underneath the bumper. I'd have thought that the cost of the bumper plus body repair and paint will exceed the value of the car.

We had been thinking about getting a larger car anyway as the current one is a bit snug if we go away, and doesn't have enough legroom in the back. We also occasionally need to move furniture - that means roof bars on the old car which is less than ideal if the item is heavy!

I'd like something not too bad on fuel and reliable, with a bit of room - for no more than 1k. We had a Multipla previously and that was perfect as there are three of us, so we had the whole back free for 'stuff' and a seat each. I wouldn't want to get a cheap one again though as I know what would need doing. Once bitten etc. We did love the twin sunroofs in it though.

Anyway, my research so far seems to suggest that you can get a fairly tidy looking diesel 406 estate for 1k. Any thoughts on these, or any other alternatives? I also quite like the look of the Saab 9-3 diesel but at 1k the ones I've seen so far all seem to have issues.
Back to top Go down
OldToot
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:24 pm

Or a Xsara Picasso? The 2 litre diesel apparently hasn't got a particulate filter or a dual mass flywheel, which is good news in terms of potential bills. Still can't stand them to look at, though.
Back to top Go down
D7
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:19 pm

My money would be going on a 406 Diesel tbh or if you want to try and get something a bit cheaper look at the equivalent Xantia?

1k should get you a 2.0 HDI in either 406 or Xantia form.
Back to top Go down
macp
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2013-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:28 pm

Just my opinion but I think D7 has nailed it
Back to top Go down
c5alan
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:04 pm

if you are going xantia look for an xud diesel as you can run straight veg oil in them the c5 hdi can be got for under 1k plus it will be younger than an xantia some of the fcf xantia drivers are moving up due to age related probs. the hdi engines are good for high miles if looked after but the 1.6 can eat turbos and the 2.2 can be thirsty the 2.0 is the one to aim for best all round.

2003 Citroen C5 HDI Exclusive only 218,000 miles on her so just about run in now family owned from new SOLD
1997 fourtrak SOLD thanks goodness complete death trap
2002 Renault Megane Scenic 1.9 DCI 112,000 miles soon to be on biodiesel
Back to top Go down
TechSupport
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2013-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:52 am

My thoughts on this would be:

Cheaper on fuel
Family car - 7 seats would be handy
Plenty of load space
would be good to run on veg oil - more saving
1000 to 1500 to buy

My choices would be : in diesel variety : Skodas, Audi A4 estate (preferably Quattro), VW Passat estate, Peugeot Estates, VW Sharan/Ford Galaxy/Seat Alhambra

Because of the utility factor of 7 seats and massive space, and the bullet proof 1.9 vw engine that runs on veg oil I narrowed the to the VW Sharan/Ford Galaxy/Seat Alhambra.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
Father Tiresias
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:24 pm

Spend half that and buy my Merc C180 auto saloon :FR:
Back to top Go down
MilfordHaven
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:19 pm

TechSupport wrote:
My thoughts on this would be:

Cheaper on fuel
Family car - 7 seats would be handy
Plenty of load space
would be good to run on veg oil - more saving
1000 to 1500 to buy

My choices would be : in diesel variety : Skodas, Audi A4 estate (preferably Quattro), VW Passat estate, Peugeot Estates, VW Sharan/Ford Galaxy/Seat Alhambra

Because of the utility factor of 7 seats and massive space, and the bullet proof 1.9 vw engine that runs on veg oil I narrowed the to the VW Sharan/Ford Galaxy/Seat Alhambra.

Cracking choice Tech I think I would also go for the same but then Mitsubishi also have what I call a bullet proof engine so I would be torn. Speak no evil
Back to top Go down
OldToot
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:34 pm

Not sure a Galaxy might be too big really - they always seem slightly on the 'bus' side of things - and as there are only three of us I just know I'd have to find somewhere to keep at least two seats most of the year as I'd refuse to spend fuel on moving them about Smile

I'm quite taken with the Xsara Picasso - loads about, no dual mass flywheel, seem very reliable and - mechanically at least - robust.

And I've been looking at 406 estates driving about and they all seem to look fresh still, in the way the 205 did for ages. You still never see a rusty one.

So tell me why I'm looking at petrol Subaru Legacys ...
Back to top Go down
rhubarb
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 50

PostSubject: Re: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:56 pm

Old Toot: I know you say you fancy a new car, but what car have you currently got?

You could still get a payout from the insurance company and keep the car and repair it yourself Wink

I don't think you'll get a well looked after and reliable modern derv for a grand.
Back to top Go down
http://carmechanics.proboards.com
OldToot
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:21 pm

Currently I have a Seat Leon mk1. I've taken it to be assessed this morning and as well as needing a new bumper, new arch liner and some repairs/respray work to the rear three quarters and the back door, the assessor has also noted that the back axle is bent - the gap between the tyre and the arch on one side is slightly smaller than the other. So I'm just waiting to hear that it has been written off.

That sort of repair is beyond me I'm afraid. It's a shame because there is nothing wrong with the car otherwise, apart from it being 11 years old.

If I knew what I was doing there is money to be made buying it back off them and selling the parts, but I have no drive, and insufficient skills Smile

Surprisingly to me, the Picasso is calling to me - I quite like the huge sunroof on the 'Exclusive' ones ...
Back to top Go down
OldToot
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:29 pm

Just to add - I've already convinced myself I can go a bit above 1k if it has tax on as I was going to have to tax the Leon at the end of March anyway ...
Back to top Go down
badshot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:17 pm

OldToot wrote:
Or a Xsara Picasso? The 2 litre diesel apparently hasn't got a particulate filter or a dual mass flywheel, which is good news in terms of potential bills. Still can't stand them to look at, though.

Fantastic car and great driving position, 2 litres diesel is the best just check its had a cambelt tensioner and water pump other than that there bombproof

keithyboy
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2013-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:31 am

P11 Primera. Petrol of diesel. The petrol one will be slightly less economical but it will not break.
Back to top Go down
OldToot
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:22 pm

Thanks everyone - I now have a Xsara Picasso Exclusive 2.0 HDi with a mere 150k miles on it. Wish me luck!
Back to top Go down
TechSupport
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2013-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:38 am

Good luck M8 Thumb

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
c5alan
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 116

PostSubject: Re: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:42 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

sounds good those hdi engines are solid I had 218k on the c5 and it was the rest of the car that was dieing first

2003 Citroen C5 HDI Exclusive only 218,000 miles on her so just about run in now family owned from new SOLD
1997 fourtrak SOLD thanks goodness complete death trap
2002 Renault Megane Scenic 1.9 DCI 112,000 miles soon to be on biodiesel
Back to top Go down
badshot
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:00 am

OldToot wrote:
Thanks everyone - I now have a Xsara Picasso Exclusive 2.0 HDi with a mere 150k miles on it. Wish me luck!

Good luck buddy, those engines are highly regarded as long as maintainence is kept up, any electrical gremlins disconnect both terminals of the battery under the passenger seat for 30 mins, worked a charm for me!

OldToot
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:31 pm

Cheers everyone. Drove it 100 miles or so yesterday and all was fine - no rattles or anything. I was expecting some sort of bush-wear related rattle, but nothing.

Then last night, the engine management light came on. It still drives fine, so I'm hoping it's a minor sensor - dropping it off tomorrow for a diagnostics check.
Back to top Go down
badshot
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:20 pm

OldToot wrote:
Cheers everyone. Drove it 100 miles or so yesterday and all was fine - no rattles or anything. I was expecting some sort of bush-wear related rattle, but nothing.

Then last night, the engine management light came on. It still drives fine, so I'm hoping it's a minor sensor - dropping it off tomorrow for a diagnostics check.

Disconnect the battery for 30 mins

OldToot
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:49 pm

Might resort to that, thanks - but it'll be nice to know what it is - can't be doing with having to keep disconnecting the battery!

(of course if I find out it's something expensive I'll wish I hadn't bothered!)
Back to top Go down
badshot
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:56 pm

It's probably nothing but its probably best to check, where did you buy the car as you can always take it back to them to investigate

OldToot
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:04 pm

I have quite a good relationship with my local garage, because I have cheap cars and no much time, or a drive - or experience with mechanics.

Anyway, the car is from a dealer a 3 hour round trip away, so I'll get my local to look at it first rather than spend the time and money travelling back with it. I'm guessing it's not much as the car runs fine and the text 'ENGINE FAULT' disappears (although the light stays on) My experience is that if it's a bad fault the message stays too? The car had no manual so I'm not entirely sure on that though - never had a Citroen before.
Back to top Go down
OldToot
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:41 pm

Well - took it to the garage this morning and it has 4 fault codes showing

1) EGR valve - taking it on Friday to be cleaned

2) Brake switch fault - lights work, but this is a common fault on Picassos. 4 replacement switch ordered off eBay today.

3) Earth connection at radiator. Loose wire I expect.

4) Unspecified, intermittent error

I should be most worried about 4, shouldn't I? Smile

Hoping the brake switch will make a big difference - the car seems a tad hesitant and apparently this is because if the car thinks the brakes are applied it cuts fuelling, hence the faulty 4 switch can make the whole thing seem slower. If not, well it drives fine anyway, and it will be one fewer error!

Also replaced the bulbs in the climate control module which makes a big difference - it looks a lot better, and you can see what setting you have now Smile
Back to top Go down
bognorboy
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   Fri May 17, 2013 1:51 pm

Hi I currently own a 406 estate 2.0hdi, 220,000 on the clock and still driving very well, I service it myself and in 3 years of ownership it has never let me down. It does very well on long trips well over 50mpg, and is not to bad around town. There are quite a few minor niggles and rattles ect. but overall one of the most reliable and comfertable cars I have owned. P.S. i cannot remember who but someone did say do not buy a rusty one, apparently rust is very rare on these so a rusty one is not a good sign.
A few years back I and a couple of friends had to commute 120 odd miles a day to our new office location, we needed a car to share to do this trip.We brought a 4 year old picasso 2.0hdi with 25,000 on the clock, 5 years later with 190,000 it is still going strong, and generally in much better nick than my 406, no rattles, loose trim etc. We always had it dealer serviced, not cheap but prob worth it as it never broke down or let us down.

IMHO Both make excellent cheap, practical buys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Large, relaible, economical and under 1k   

Back to top Go down

Large, relaible, economical and under 1k

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next