View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
anewman
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2007-11-20

PostSubject: My Skoda Favorit's first year   Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:47 am

Seen no mention of Skoda's on here so thought I would describe my experience of my first car at 1 year on.

My car is a 94 Skoda Favorit GLXIe estate (e deontes high compression, 67bhp 1.3l). It came with 13" alloys, rear spoiler and a front splitter as standard. Got given it as otherwise it was off to the scrap. MOT, needed centre exhaust section, exhaust support, one brake pipe and handbrake adjustment. Have taken to servicing it myself, and it is a very easy car to work on with loads of engine bay space. Only thing that's obviously gone wrong is a wheel bearing seemed to have gone but managed to replace those myself for 10 all in. On long runs, if I drive like an idiot I get about 39mpg (tested with fully loaded car), if more careful and at 60mph I can get 45mpg. Don't think those figures are too bad myself.

Only other problems I have had are sunroof leak and a leak into the boot. Sunroof leak has happened twice and managed to cure it each time. As for the boot leak I managed to slow it down but doesn't stay perfectly dry after a heavy downpour. Also the headlights and sidelights have weird problems. Occasionally the sidelight indicator on the dash is off and the rear offside light is out, and sometimes the headlight indicator is off and the offside dipped headlight is off and sometimes both are off. A tap on the fusebox generally brings them all on properly and luckily it doesn't happen all that often and I've never been stranded in the dark.

It currently has 111k miles but the clock doesn't always advance and have done many 200 odd mile journeys with the clock not advancing, so it is a good few more miles than that. Suppose I should get around to swapping it with the spare clock I have. I doubt anyone will accuse me of clocking as chances are this car is off to the scrap anyway once I'm done with it.

I don't think it's a bad car at all. I know most people think of all the Skoda jokes and daren't drive anything with that badge, but it has definitely been everything a car should be. And I think my first experience of motoring has been Bangernomic-tastic! afro

Interesting facts I have learned about the car itself. The car is styled by Bertone (a famous car designer apparently), the suspensionn geometry is tuned by Porsche, and the engine mounts are designed by Porsche. The Skoda Favorit won outright the FIA World cup 1994 in the 2 litre category (but if I interpret the results correctly, not because of amazing lap times, but because they never broke down and only crashed once whereas all the other cars came worse off in that respect.)

For anyone else considering getting a Skoda, the Felicia (based on the Favorit) is probably a better buy as it is newer, but can still be had for next to nothing.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Skoda   Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:06 pm

Fantastic post...I love the Favorit and borrowed one a few years ago and it was sensational...thanks for your input and there will be a new place you can Bangernomically rant on about your favourite, pun intended...Banger
Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com
anewman
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2007-11-20

PostSubject: Re: My Skoda Favorit's first year   Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:25 am

2nd MOT.

Exhaust clamp had come loose, rubber exhaust hanger snapped.
Wheel bearing needed adjusting (my fault as I replaced them).
and the ever usual "excessively corroded brake pipe".

Not bad everything considered, garage that did centre exhaust sorted all the exhaust free, I adjusted the wheel bearing, brake pipe for a couple of quid and a couple of bottles of brake fluid and another year's legal motoring Smile

Advisory notice on track rod ends (about 10 each) and steeering rack worn on one side (presume will be expensive).
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Skoda   Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:46 am

I think you've done pretty well there...my 1995 car not a Skoda sailed through the MOT without any advisories or anything and the tester called my motor a tank...
Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Skoda Favorit's first year   

Back to top Go down

My Skoda Favorit's first year

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1