View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jooksey
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: My banger history   Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:16 am

Here is my car history. For the first few years I was driving new cars, working in my fathers business, I learnt to drive in a Renault 4 van.

I bought my first own car in 1986 at 21 yrs old, a 1977 red Mk2 Capri 2000S for 600. This is the year I met my wife to be. .

In 1987 with a baby on the way, I swapped it with a bit of cash for a green 1979 Honda Accord Deluxe 1.6 four door saloon with around 70k miles. The Honda lasted just over two years and 30k , when , two days before our wedding in May 1989 the engine let go, leaving a large cloud of smoke following me down the road while on the way to work. Engine was seized solid when I went back to it in my lunch break.

The Honda was hastily replaced with a Datsun Cherry 1.2 of 1980 vintage which was quiet rusty and smoky, for 690.
A approx a year later with baby number two , I sold it for 400 and bought a 1985 Mazda 929 Estate for 1500, which was just as well , as in December 1990, our third baby was born ( quick worker Busy )

Moving on to late 1991, having been made redundant, I sold the Mazda for 1000 and bought a 1981 Austin Ambassador for 300. After a month there was a large bang, and a large hole in the side of the engine ! Shocked I replaced the engine, and spent hours trying to get it going, failing badly. Eventually gave it away.

Next up, It's 1992, I started Taxi driving, and bought a 1986 Vauxhall Carlton 2000GL for 1200 with around 150k on the clock. Used for over a year and many miles, and a whining gearbox, amongst other issues, I decided I didn't have the funds to upgrade hence career change and sold it for 600 cash plus a 1983 Ford Capri 2000S, which If I'm honest wasn't one of the best ideas I've had with three kids and a german sheperd dog!

The Capri was sold for 600 in 1993 and replaced by a 1982 Vauxhall Astra 1.3l estate. I paid 80 for it , plus 100 to get an MOT .
After adding some 25,000 miles it was falling to pieces, so in 1996 was replaced by 200 worth of Vauxhall Cavalier 1.3L saloon of 1983 vintage A86LNF .
I spent more time tinkering with this car than any of them. The fuel gauge lied, ( I ran out a few times ) starter motor gave up, head gasket failed twice and eventually sold to a colleague for 30 for spares .

So again I was on the hunt for another banger, and spotted a 1983 Mk1 VW Golf GTi 1600 which I bought for 400 with 140,000miles. This was great fun , but a bit smokey and again not a great family car, so after six months was replaced by a 1988 Ford Sierra 1.8L Estate from my employer for 1400 , at a touch under ten years old and a suspect 71k.

Well that's up to about 1997 so will continue later.
Back to top Go down
macp
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2013-01-22

PostSubject: Re: My banger history   Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:55 pm

I enjoyed reading that a true bangernomic follower but get a telly for goodness sake Very Happy
Back to top Go down
badshot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-06-06

PostSubject: Re: My banger history   Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:02 pm

Great history I take it you packed in the cabbing looking at the later stuff, yep you didn't hang around on the baby front, but saying that I wish I had mine earlier, i'd be kicking em out now!
:Cr:

rhubarb
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: My banger history   Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:15 pm

macp wrote:
I enjoyed reading that a true bangernomic follower but get a telly for goodness sake Very Happy

lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://carmechanics.proboards.com
Jooksey
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: My banger history   Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:54 pm

Thanks for the comments. We did have a telly, but there were only four channels! The kids have all left home now, and followed in my footsteps, I have four grandchildren !

Yes gave up the cabbing and went into security.

The Sierra lasted until 2001, and was burning oil and very rattly, I had really only done the absolute basics to keep it going. My employer was selling off a 1996 Clio 1.2RL with 150,000 miles , so I bought it for 500 and sold the Sierra to a neighbour for 350.

The Clio was only kept for a year adding around 12k on the mileage and swapped for a 1992 Rover 214SLi which only had 80k on it.
This one was kept for two years, when in July 2004 I got tempted by a colleague selling a 1993 Rover 216GSi , which of course I had to buy!

As it turned out, this was a bad move, only a month later, the head gasket failed on a return trip from Devon. As we were only ten miles from home , I stopped at a service station , topped up the water and carried on. We made it home.

Also around this time, I picked up a 1986 Peugeot 205GTi 1.6 for 50, parked it in a rented garage, where it stayed for four years. Sold on for 350.

Back to looking for another banger. I found a 1987 Sierra Sapphire 2000 GL and bought it for 180 with 9 months MOT and some road tax. I ran this one up to the end of the MOT and scrapped it in 2005

The sapphire was then replaced with one of my favourites, a 1994 Mazda Xedos 6 , automatic , for 400. I would have preferred a manual, but it was cheap! When it failed the MOT to the tune of 700, a year later , I sold it for 100 , the new owner restored it and then wrote it off!

While I had the Mazda I also picked up a 1995 Peugeot 106 1.5 Diesel for 300 , with brake and running problems. I replaced the vacuum pump and injector pump with parts from the scrap yard and sold it a few months later for 650. I actually made money on a banger!!

July 2006, I bought my current steed , a 2004 Renault Clio 1.2 16v Expression with 80,000 miles, again an ex fleet car from my employer, for 1500.

I still own it and use it every day. Having kept up the servicing and repairs, it now has 149,000 miles.

My wife is finally taking her driving test this year , so will have the Clio, and I can then get another banger , something bigger, but it just has to have a petrol engine!

My offspring also have bangers ; My eldest daughter has a 1999 Ford KA , bought for 450, My son ( with three kids, he has a telly as well) a 1992 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 , and youngest daughter a 1995 Vauxhall Astra 1.4 merit.

Hope you all like the story and my bangers.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My banger history   

Back to top Go down

My banger history

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1