Do you hate replacing old faithfuls when they no longer work

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
stereosound
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2007-05-16

PostSubject: Do you hate replacing old faithfuls when they no longer work   Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:20 pm

Is it only me or do others find it almost impossible to replace an item you were perfectly happy with when it comes to the end of it's useful life?

I find increasingly annoying that you have an item whatever it be lasts you for years and when the inevitable happens and needs replacing you cant replace it with something that does the same.

Either it doesn't work as you want it to,is poorly manufactured by comparison or as has been the excuse of late it has a "characteristic" Rolling Eyes

I find that in the past you could quite happily buy an item and basically keep it with no issues whereas these days you buy something and you know the chances are you will have to take it back because its faulty or has an annoying as hell "characteristic"

It's often said they don't make cars like they used to,truth is they don't make anything like they used to :Ang:

Over to you for your thoughts.............................

Back to top Go down
SOJC
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Do you hate replacing old faithfuls when they no longer work   Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:54 pm

Yep - my crap old banger is simple, no electronics, just a basic diesel engine and not an electric window in it.
The same with phones; of course they are all electronic, but the old ones were almost bomb-proof and just kept working.

I've just had to pack up a year-old phone for repair - pisses me off it couldn't even last the length of the contract.
A Vodafone eejit told me it was out of warranty, but Sony said it was still covered, so thanks to them I'm not out of pocket.
I suppose the incredible complexity of even a phone is just waiting for something to go wrong, and I'm utterly certain
it was the Sony software on the PC that fecked the phone - nothing I'd done.
In contrast, my previous phone is still working perfectly - it's not a smartphone and if I wasn't seduced by the handiness
of a smartphone I'd have kept on using the old one. Having said that though; the sheer usefulness of a smartphone
is incredible, but I'd prefer reliable ones.

Last edited by SOJC on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
c5alan
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Do you hate replacing old faithfuls when they no longer work   Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:10 am

your right nothing is built like it was when I moved into my flat the previous owner left the cooker a looked liek something from the late 80's this was due to only 3 rings working and no handle on the outside of the grill. Not a prob as I was single and never needed more than 2 rings anyway and the grill would open from the side easy plan was to replace when it died fast forward 7 years and it finally died quite a sad day got a new one that is flimsy and just not as well built cant see it lasting as long just hope we get the 7 year years I got out of the old one.

I know Henry ford sent his mechanics around the scrap yards to find out what parts hadn't failed so they could be made weaker as if the rest of the car is gone what is the point of it out lasting the rest of the car. Now they seem to design them so as soon as the warranty is out the explode into lots of little pieces but many things dont even seem to make it that far. Once had a phone that had to be replaced 3 times in a week as they just kept breaking it was an early flip phone and the hinge jammed went for a different model after that last time.

2003 Citroen C5 HDI Exclusive only 218,000 miles on her so just about run in now family owned from new SOLD
1997 fourtrak SOLD thanks goodness complete death trap
2002 Renault Megane Scenic 1.9 DCI 112,000 miles soon to be on biodiesel
Back to top Go down
EasternBloc
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2013-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Do you hate replacing old faithfuls when they no longer work   Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:13 pm

Oh yes, yes indeed.

Ink cartridges for printers. We all know that it would be easier to have a standard few carts that fit a manufacturers machines. But no, they would rather make specific carts for each printer model more often than not. So the public can get ripped of for a couple of teaspoons worth of ink every time

As I have just swapped a car to the newer descendent. It has better paint, but the actual paint job is not as good! The older car's paint work has lasted longer.

It is that sometimes the re-engineering of something seems almost pointless. One example; the newer Felicia I have has the same engine (that is a 40+ year old design, I believe) as my previous Favorits. So what did they think, lets put a plastic bodied thermostat on when the old metal one worked fine? They would have had to spend time designing a retro fitted thermostat. Would it not have been cheaper to just produce the existing one - no retoolling? The metal one would (I'm sure) also have been easier to recycle that the more modern plastic counterpart?

I think I posted somewhere that I am sure there will be a time when manufactures will (deliberately?) make items that time expire as in a 'Blade Runner' effect Question

confused
Back to top Go down
ventorafred
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Do you hate replacing old faithfuls when they no longer work   Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:57 am

O without a shadow of a doubt
I had a gas man come round to safety checks a week a so ago
and he was wittering on about my old boiler which is around 15 years old
''really need a combi mate, this thing could be losing you about 200 a year in gas''
''How much for a new combi fitted then'' I asked not really knowing
''Fitted, um, ....about 3000, with new pipework''
'' I'll settle on losing 200 a year thanks squire''

Dunno, I just cant be bringing myself to be going to Currys or PC world or whatever and buying
top end new stuff, I will caress and fettle anything I have just to keep the old faithfuls
going, even my computer Im typing on now, has a bearing gone on one of the fans
sounds like a old taxi starting up, 'jigger jigger jigger''
Its ten years old, and has so many upgrades fitted by my good self, its
a mutant.

still fires up quicker than my nieces 6 month old lappy

My workmates take the p*ss rotten, but Im nay the one with maxed cards and no money after the third week o the month :grm: :FR:

Simple life tis I'll I lead
Back to top Go down
SOJC
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Do you hate replacing old faithfuls when they no longer work   Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:16 am

You'd be lucky if the new boiler lasted a decade, so that's a cost of 300 per annum right there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you hate replacing old faithfuls when they no longer work   

Back to top Go down

Do you hate replacing old faithfuls when they no longer work

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1