View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
EasternBloc
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2013-01-08

PostSubject: Now to lower the tone . . . .   Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:35 am

Old faithful has come to the end of a very fine innings. It had come to the point were, was it worth spending more on keeping the old girl on the road or diverting the funds to a new to us car.

11 - 3 - 2009 to 1 - 2 - 2013 51,320 miles or 36 miles a day average. Final resting distance 141,963

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

With CV joint needing doing sooner than later, the starter motor sounding like a 60 a day chain smoking bronchitis suffers (common problem, it had a refurb last year), two tyres within a month or two. Then front suspension top bushes starting to show a little slack and finally the engine mounts perishing. These are all jobs that can be sorted but with heavy heart the bottom line won out. It might have been Joloke in a post somewhere saying that it is best not to get too attached to the motors. So at vast expense a replacement has been found. This is web photo, when this new one is washed and tided up I'll take couple of photos. This time I have stayed utilitarian as that suits our limited resources.

The Felicia is probably the last true Skoda design platform, as it was a Favorit that has seen a very large sanding block, (before VW got to work on Skoda properly)! I have deliberately gone for a 1.3 as this is the direct descendant and with there being some much in common the mother could be a donor to the daughter. For example the Favorit tail wiper works, on the Felicia it doesn't. Tomorrow I'll be having a look at what can be taken off before the Favorit becomes recycled.

90k, usual places for rust £260. While I've been looking I have seen some daft prices on these. I saw one on a forecourt at £1299, and one advertised down south at £1599 Shocked New they were (ball park) 6.5 - 7K 12/13 years ago? In the paperwork this car sold for £1895 in 2004. I hope this on can go the distance......
Back to top Go down
stereosound
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2007-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Now to lower the tone . . . .   Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:44 am

My condolences for your sad loss :Cry2:

I cant help but laugh at this sentence "the starter motor sounding like a 60 a day chain smoking bronchitis sufferer"

Why does Deirdre Barlow from corrie come to mind?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

But long live Felicia Thumb

I have got a lot of time for Skoda they really have become a force to be reckoned with and although at the point the Felicia was launched VAG hadn't completely started the VAG cloning process that Germanic build quality fit and finish was starting to make itself at home.

Skoda has become a badge to be proud of that those who don't succumb to badge snobbery

Please feel free to post pics of your happier times with your dearly departed Favorit and don't forget to post lots of pics of the Felicia Thumb

Back to top Go down
badshot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Now to lower the tone . . . .   Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:23 am

Sorry to hear your news but good choice with the decendent,

I bought one of these for my brother, in the most shocking green you have ever seen, i cant remember if it was a 1.3 or 1.4 but he and his missus love it after a while with no car, its a god send.

It was only £300 on a 51 plate as i took it on a PX and it was so nice, i had to help him out.
Its a VW polo in donkeys clothing!

Good car well done, should last a good while yet too Clap

ventorafred
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Now to lower the tone . . . .   Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:51 am

Excellent cars those,
Very sorry to hear of your loss
always sad to lose a loved one :Pr:
Dont think you will go wrong with your new ride
My Old Uncle Len bless him has had skodas ever since I was a kid
and he drives a Felicia now. Swears by it
and sometimes in it Hear nothing
Him being a bit of a old sea dog he has learnt a few international words of curse
Back to top Go down
EasternBloc
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Now to lower the tone . . . .   Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:11 am

Thank you for your kind words.

£300 for a 51 plate. V.good

Some pictures will come soon, once a little bit cleaner.

One thing I did forget to mention. Probably the most important really. Never failed to start, (recently with the aid deliberate parking and slops just in case) apart from once. Or stop as well!!

And the reason a naff battery, which was replaced under warranty. Should be a topic in it self, but batteries (perhaps I should say some) are just not as good as they used to be. At one time there were plates of lead in them. Now you are lucky if the lead paste that is coated on the inside if more than a few microns thick. Once that degrades - bye, bye amperage.

I would prefer a battery to be reliable and not give up because the sun has gone in, just a slight exaggeration Wink

Back to top Go down
D7
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Now to lower the tone . . . .   Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:17 am

Skoda Felicia !! Bow

For some time now I've thought that these are ideal budget runabouts and I've seen lots of them at dirt cheap prices (although as you have mentioned, I've seen some at silly prices too!!). I don't quite know why I've never had one?? As I've mentioned in a previous thread somewhere, a guy I worked with had a Felicia with the 1.9 Diesel engine and he swore by it for the years that he owned it, ran it on the bangernomics principle until he then replaced it with a Citroen Xsara Picasso. Ouch.

In the pocket money banger thread I posted yesterday I in fact posted up a link to a Felicia Diesel on eBay that was sub £500, I think they are still obscure enough in the Skoda history to not be too 'tasteful' compared to the likes of the later Fabia & Octavia so therefore unfortunately get overlooked, which is a shame as they seem perfectly capable cars from what I've heard in the past.

I wish you many happy years with your new Skoda Shake
Back to top Go down
macp
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2013-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Now to lower the tone . . . .   Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:04 pm

Excellent I will add one to me list Thanks
Back to top Go down
badshot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Now to lower the tone . . . .   Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:07 pm

D7 wrote:
Skoda Felicia !! Bow
As I've mentioned in a previous thread somewhere, a guy I worked with had a Felicia with the 1.9 Diesel engine and he swore by it for the years that he owned it, ran it on the bangernomics principle until he then replaced it with a Citroen Xsara Picasso. Ouch.
Shake

Them Picasso's are good old cars especially the 2 litre HDI's i had one for 5 years the exhaust rotted but that was it other than servicing and a leaking injector replaced on warranty. I must have been lucky lol!

EasternBloc
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Now to lower the tone . . . .   Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:20 am

What have I done! ! ! ! !

Time to move on now. Bereavement counselling booked for next week.

What we hadn't realised was the Felicia back seat was not split, (on this model) so we have ended up swapping the seat over, funny as the kids said they said the seat in the old car was more comfortable. So we now have light grey front seats and a dark grey back seat! Luckily the mounting posts for a split seat were present in the Felicia even though a standard bench seat was fitted. It is possible Skoda didn't want people swapping seat as the receiving holes were the opposite way round, so a minor adjustment had to filled in.

We have been driving round in the Favorit with a Felicia N/S wing mirror as the original broke. Not due to an accident either, just one day pushed the mirror in and aluminium plate snapped in the housing! They have the same mounting holes but typically different thread bolts, it just so happened that some spare shelf metal shelf bolts I had fitted - don't waste anything if I can.

And the alloys from our first Favorit will now see a third car.

I think she knew the end was near. Even though I had the engine running earlier today so as to swap the cars around on the drive, I even left the engine running for a few minutes as the car has not moved since Friday. When it came to move the car onto the road about an hour later, she refused to start. I had to turn it over several times, which has never happened Question
Back to top Go down
EasternBloc
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Gone and probably forgotten soon   Mon May 18, 2015 10:00 am

The Felicia Hatch final log entry:

This car has been the most lemony or unlucky of the cars I've had.  Nothing major but just a collections of straws to annoy the camel's back, for example:

> Needed a wind screen after the first month after golf ball sized 'rock' hit us on M6.
> Never had straight forward MOTs
> Only time it actually stopped was due to alternator failing somewhere on 160 mile trip back from Co. Durham.
> Passenger door look would unlock but not lock the car
> Rear wiper operation iffy
> Needed another windscreen after Christmas 2014 stone hit an inch from the OS post, next morning the crack was almost an inch from the NS post
> Spring failed in ignition so it was a manual turn back once started

And some weird ones like the buzzer sounded if the lights were left on if either passenger or driver's door were opened but bizarrely only the driver's door would activate the cabin light.

There were positives as well, it was a great drive. The old 1.3 Skoda engine was willing, taking the wife's low rev pull offs.  It was the first car we've had with power steering  Shocked And if I felt frugal while driving with would get to about 48 mpg but more usual was 43. The timing chain was still sounding sweet, for a timing chain that is Wink

The last MOT has had some minor advisories with top of front suspension movement and jaded rear suspension struts. I already had a pair of struts for the back and the rubber mounts to sort the front were a tenner so it was possible to get another year but lack of space (in the car) finally pushed this to replacement time.

I had hoped for a fitting ending as the wife and I decided it was too good to scrap so we were going to offer it on Freecycle but first refusal was to a neighbour who had been without a car for a couple of years. He said yes after telling him exactly what he was letting himself in for and I offered the struts and said I could get the mounts next time I was passing the likes of Euro Car Part.  It was sat on our drive for a couple of weeks while he was 'sorting the insurance out'. Next thing is he had scraped it one day when I was not in, telling the wife, after it was gone, it needed too much work!  Sad really as for a little bit of time it would have been okay, and I had offered some of my time as well! We have worked out all the big wrinkles. Also this was not what we wanted for the car, it still had miles in it which would have lowered the overall cost for the car for it total lifespan. I was a little annoyed but the deed was done.

Anyhoo, nought as funny as folk.

£265 purchase and three times that for parts including alternator, welding, MOTs plus one rear hub and the usual sundries. It worked out at £42 a month (excluding motion lotion of course). 27.5K driven over 25 months, 4 of which it stood while the 'summer' car was on the road :-D so that is over 1300 a month. Overall a 3 out of 5 car.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Now to lower the tone . . . .   Mon May 18, 2015 12:22 pm

Yeh, that kind of things annoying.

I gave my more-or-less sorted Nissan Sunny to some friends when I left for Taiwan, and they scrapped it when the tax disk ran out. Probably the best car I've had, too.
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Now to lower the tone . . . .   Mon May 18, 2015 2:09 pm

EasternBloc wrote:

I had hoped for a fitting ending as the wife and I decided it was too good to scrap so we were going to offer it on Freecycle but first refusal was to a neighbour who had been without a car for a couple of years. He said yes after telling him exactly what he was letting himself in for and I offered the struts and said I could get the mounts next time I was passing the likes of Euro Car Part.  It was sat on our drive for a couple of weeks while he was 'sorting the insurance out'. Next thing is he had scraped it one day when I was not in, telling the wife, after it was gone, it needed too much work!

The ungrateful turd did WHAT?! Shock

Damn him to a life of public transport - he deserves no better.
Back to top Go down
EasternBloc
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Now to lower the tone . . . .   Mon May 18, 2015 10:49 pm

Yeah -  still no car at neighbours ;-)    I was wondering can you get voodoo for beginners kits on fleabay.....   Twisted Evil
....but thought better of it.

The next one to go,  will go through here.  Where it could be appreciated more,  after all its depreciation. :-)
Back to top Go down
OldToot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2010-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Now to lower the tone . . . .   Tue May 26, 2015 1:03 pm

badshot wrote:

Them Picasso's are good old cars especially the 2 litre HDI's i had one for 5 years the exhaust rotted but that was it other than servicing

I have a 2 litre HDi with 180k miles on it. It needs a new exhaust Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Now to lower the tone . . . .   

Back to top Go down

Now to lower the tone . . . .

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1