View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
keithyboy
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2013-02-02

PostSubject: My Audi 100E Avant and some past snotters   Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

I bought this for 400 with 12 months' ticket and six months' tax last June. I had to complete an arduous journey from Manchester to Sheffield to pick it up but we survived both the train there and Snake Pass on the way back. Grubby but solid is how I'd describe her condition on collection.

Stopped for a breather on Snake Pass.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

General muck and filth.

A lot of cleaning and some filler later:

After 1000 miles in a week in Devon.

As of yesterday.

Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Father Tiresias
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: My Audi 100E Avant and some past snotters   Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:37 pm

[anorak mode] It's actually a power transistor and is often found in power amplifiers [/anorak mode]
Back to top Go down
keithyboy
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: My Audi 100E Avant and some past snotters   Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:03 pm

Another update on my fleet of shi**ers. You'll have to do without pictures on this occasion because daughter is still complaining about her camera being covered in CV joint grease and I can't work my phone with work gloves on.

The Volvo's blower got reassembled this morning and is working perfectly. After a pleasant lunch with my family, I came home and set to on the brakes. In doing this I broke two cardinal rules of car fixing at this point. 1. I blocked the working car on the drive with the one I was taking to bits 2. I started work at 3pm on Sunday so if anything goes wrong you are completely stuffed because all the car parts shops are shut. The last time I broke rule 1, I was putting an exhaust on something and had to move it across the road on a completely open pipe, to get to the other car (I've always been popular with the neighbours).

However, it's a simple disc and pad swap, what could possibly go wrong?

As it was a quiet Sunday I left the compressor and windy gun in the garage for the sake of the neighbours. Still, by 3.15 the nearside wheel was off. The caliper on an S40 is secured to the bracket by a couple of 12mm bolts. To swap pads you unbolt the bottom one and swing the caliper up using the top slider as a hinge. To do the discs, the bracket has to come off too (two 15mm bolts) and it's easier to unbolt the caliper completely. However, the top bolt had already been butchered. No great hardship though, with the pads out of the way you slide the caliper off the bracket and out of the way. Plain sailing from then on and the wheel was back on the ground by 3.45.

Offside wheel off to find that some ham-fisted knuckle-dragging gorilla has wrecked both bolts. A 12mm socket was just spinning uselessly. I tried hammering an 11mm socket over the the bottom bolt but they are fairly tight and it was having none of it. I swore a bit at this point. The bolts themselves are no problem to replace because they come with the pads but getting them off would mean removing the whole assembly to the bench. It was 4pm by now, everywhere is shut and I've got no brake fluid. If I take the caliper off I can't put it back again and bleed it so Mrs K can't use it for work, and has to use my car (which is blocked in by the now defunct Volvo).

After a bit of head scratching and some more industrial language, I came up with a plan. Even with the caliper in place, I can just about get to the bracket bolts. If I unbolt them, I can remove the whole lot in one go. Without the disc between the pads they will slide (hammer) out no problem. Without the pads I can separate the caliper and bracket to clean up where the pads fit, then put the two back together, slot the pads in, fit the whole thing back over the disc, bolt it up and everyone's a winner.

Did it work? Well, it was a bit like trying to get a blancmange through a letterbox because the caliper and bracket keep moving on the sliders, then the pads fall out, plus the discs don't have screws so they wobble about. Whilst this is going on, I'm trying to keep filthy fingers off the pad faces and stop them dropping in the growing pile of muck and filth on the drive. After several failed attempts though, I managed to get the whole lot back over the disc and get the bracket bolts in finger-tight. Out with the ratchet to tighten up the bolts and it's looking good. A quick prod of the brake pedal to bring the pads in contact with the disc and the disc is spinning freely with no binding. Wheel on, jack down, sorted. A quick trip round the block proves that the low speed judder and grabbing has gone and they are quieter too.

It'll have to come off again because my conscience won't allow me to leave those chewed bolts in place but it'll wait.

For illustration purposes only, a picture is attached of a completely different car. I had a noted graphic artist add the red arrows to highlight the caliper bolts.

Back to top Go down
macp
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2013-01-22

PostSubject: Re: My Audi 100E Avant and some past snotters   Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:38 am

Loving this thread it inspires me in fact I ended doing a bit of spanner work myself this weekend and was very proud after Very Happy
Back to top Go down
keithyboy
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: My Audi 100E Avant and some past snotters   Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:01 pm

Thanks for that, I'm glad it's appreciated. If it does that it's well worth writing it down.
Back to top Go down
keithyboy
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: My Audi 100E Avant and some past snotters   Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:01 pm

One of the funny things about running older cars is that you sometimes get faults that neither the car maker nor HBOL saw coming. In the Audi's case, this manifested itself in the tube from the washer reservoir to the washers unplugging itself and dumping the fluid in the road. No big deal, the tube is an interference fit in a rubber sleeve on the reservoir so I just plugged it back in. I fully expected the problem to reappear as the rubber has perished and lo and behold it did.

However, further investigation showed that this time it hadn't come out, the plastic pipe had split and shattered.

When I refilled it after losing all the water, I didn't have screenwash so used neat corporation pop. It appears that this froze and broke the tube into a million pieces. 3 meters of clear tube arrived in the post the other day so I chose this morning, with snow on the ground and the wind chill keeping the temperature down to about -2, to fix it.

I used a bit of sealant to help hold it all together.

I then went inside where I'm staying until I have to go to work on Monday because it's Ooops freezing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Audi 100E Avant and some past snotters   

Back to top Go down

My Audi 100E Avant and some past snotters

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2