View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
redlorry
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-04-24

PostSubject: My little fleet of bangers   Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:18 pm

Good to see Bangernomics back up and running - thanks to Jodie and the team Bow Wishing all success!!

My 'fleet' of bangers is currently three strong:

2002 VW Lupo 1.7SDI

My wee Lupo is slow and noisy but also enthusiastic, reliable, cheap to run, easy to work on and great fun Laughing

It runs on veg oil averaging 65mpg + and is only 30 a year to tax. The mileage is approaching 130,000. Its great around town but, if I'm honest, not so good on longer trips...

I bought it at the tail end of an auction when most folk had gone home. It had no MoT, the clutch pedal was cracking off the pedal box and the door stays were on their last legs (common faults). However, it did come with a full service history and looked OK. It went through its MoT just needing brakes and, after having the pedal box welded and replacing the door stays, it was ready for use.

That was a few years ago and, apart from routine servicing, its not needed a thing done since!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2002 Rover 75 2.0 CDT Club SE Tourer

When I got the Rover it was a bit sad and neglected. It had been involved in a very minor accident with damage limited to the drivers door, but was written off by the insurance company (Cat D). I got it for next to nothing, with some MoT and tax remaining, and started work...

The drivers door was replaced by an identically coloured one from the scrappie, together with the passenger door lock (not locking with central locking). I also replaced the heater matrix (old one was clogged up and heating only one side of the car - common fault), fitted new front brakes and gave it a thorough service.

That was two years ago. It has just passed 100,000 miles now and will probably do another 100,000 without a problem Very Happy

1991 Volkswagen Golf 1.3 Ryder 5dr

This was one of those cars that you don't need but you just can't walk away from....

Owned by an elderly couple from new; with only 60,000 miles, the original sales invoice and a full service history, you don't see many 22 year old cars like this.

Its MoT and tax had been let run out, as the couple had bought another car (with power steering!). They had intended to just scrap it, but advertised it just in case someone would like it....

So I took it - and, soon after, it passed its MoT without a hitch Very Happy

Unfortunately the Golf doesn't get used as much as it should and I should really move it on, but I love low powered Mk2 Golfs and know that as soon as I sold it I'd want another...

Back to top Go down
macp
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2013-01-22

PostSubject: Re: My little fleet of bangers   Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:01 pm

What a superb collection of cars love the (I think) corrado wheels on the Lupo. I also have a very soft spot for Mk2 golfs.
Great post.
Back to top Go down
redlorry
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: My little fleet of bangers   Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:22 pm

Thank you!

Yes you're right - that's a set of 15" VW 'Sebring' alloys on the Lupo, as originally fitted to the Corrado and Mk2 Golf G60/Rallye during the 90's. I think they suit my wee Lupo well without being too flash Cool

Back to top Go down
macp
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2013-01-22

PostSubject: Re: My little fleet of bangers   Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:49 pm

Yes I forgot they were fitted to the rallye. I used to have Mk2 G60 Golf I will post a pic in my cars.
Back to top Go down
stereosound
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2007-05-16

PostSubject: Re: My little fleet of bangers   Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:50 pm

I luv the Lupo and the Golf in fact i love them all Thumb

The Lupo proves you don't need a brand new car for lower tax and to be green and run on bio :Wky:
Back to top Go down
D7
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: My little fleet of bangers   Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:36 am

That little Lupo looks to be a cracking car to use on the bangernomics principle *heads off to eBay to have a little look about*

Whats the 75 like to live with on a day to day basis? I've had a few Rover's in the past myself but I'm currently considering buying something for my dad to use as his Omega is now heading towards an expensive MOT and a 75 would be right up his street...
Back to top Go down
redlorry
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: My little fleet of bangers   Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:36 pm

Lupo's (and the almost identical SEAT Arosa's) do keep their value surprisingly well, so they can be a bit pricey for what they are. I was lucky - hope you will be too Smile

As BMW invested heavily in the 75 and it used many BMW parts (e.g. the engine used in the CDT is the 320d's chain driven diesel), the 75 is like no other Rover. This, in my opinion, is a big plus!! As with all ageing cars there are various common niggles - head gaskets on 1.8's, plenems flooding messing ECU, heaters, electrics, etc - but for not too much money you can get yourself a nice, well looked after car that makes a really great banger.

The 75 is great on a long drive. However it is a large car and, with its swoopy shape and shallow windows, visibility ain't ideal for town driving. Reliability is generally good and fuel efficiency is consistent with other, similar cars of the era - although, as you may expect, the V6's can be thirsty.

Check out [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for buying guides, how to's and general info on the 75.

Back to top Go down
EasternBloc
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2013-01-08

PostSubject: Re: My little fleet of bangers   Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:03 pm

A great bunch of great cars.

A friend had a Golf of that vintage and wasn't as happy with the newer variant he upgraded to, 18 or so years ago.

If I could persuade the wife to drive a bigger car a 75 would most definitely be on the shopping list. I'll have to wait for the moment anyhow........

Back to top Go down
nofrills
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2013-01-30

PostSubject: Re: My little fleet of bangers   Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:37 am

i have a real fondness for the 75 i think there really good cars and bargains aswell

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My little fleet of bangers   

Back to top Go down

My little fleet of bangers

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1