HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | .

Bangernomics is the greenest way to go motoring...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Bangernomics is the greenest way to go motoring...   Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:29 pm

That's right, I reckon keeping a car going for longer, or just making use of a discarded or cheap car has to be the greenest thing you can do, maybe you disagree...
Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com
MilfordHaven
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Bangernomics is the greenest way to go motoring...   Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:32 pm

The greenest form of motoring is buying a brand-new Toyota Prius, the cost and environmental impact of production and recycling of which is substantially more than any other car. Rolling Eyes

Something old and 'shite' running on used waste oil would be my nomination. Mk1 Rover 825D maybe? Cool
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Bangernomics is the greenest way to go motoring...   Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:06 pm

I agree with you the Rover is a good call as most people ignore them these days...the Prius is just a huge con...and I'd rather have a Mark 2 Golf TD probably left hand drive and only one hubcap.
Back to top Go down
sputnikcorporation
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2007-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Bangernomics is the greenest way to go motoring...   Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:32 am

Agree on the Prius. So many resources required for its manufacture & it's long-term value will be negligible due to fear about servicing costs. Not really a green choice at all, but at least they can wave the 'eco' flag in publicity campaigns.

Best banger? An old Toyota. Never liked them as cars, but for budget transport, can't beat them, especially the old rear-drive versions we still have plenty of here in Aus. So good, I'm buying one so I don't waste my money & can pay off my mortgage quicker! Smile
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Bangernomics is the greenest way to go motoring...   Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:37 pm

I agree that old Toyotas are fairly dire especially Corollas and Starlets and things but they do seem to hang around for a very long time...and Spuntnik you've got the whole point of Bangernomics which is allowing you to spend money on more important things such as food, drink and just possibly an interesting hobby car.
Back to top Go down
sputnikcorporation
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2007-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Bangernomics is the greenest way to go motoring...   Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:21 pm

You're right on the hobby car Smile I also have a 1989 Nissan Exa, an odd thing also known as Pulsar NX in the USA. Mine has been undergoing a transformation in the past 18 months of quite a massive scale.

Back on track...one of the great things about bangers is being able to find parts on Ebay, such as the AU$20 brand new water pump for the Nissan that should cost AU$150...

Plus there's the thrill of getting better condition parts or upgrades from models higher up the range in wreckers & the like.

Bangernomics, in my opinion, isn't so much a conceptual thing as much a way of life.

Not losing thousands in depreciation, interest & dealer servicing is the only sensible thing to do!
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Bangernomics is the greenest way to go motoring...   Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:34 pm

I'm not the biggest fan of Ebay but it has few rivals as a source for hard to get parts. Keep the obscure stuff going and yes Bangernomics certainly is a way of life according to the Bangernomics Code.
Back to top Go down
NerveJam
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2007-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Bangernomics is the greenest way to go motoring...   Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:50 pm

Admin wrote:
I agree that old Toyotas are fairly dire especially Corollas and Starlets and things but they do seem to hang around for a very long time...and Spuntnik you've got the whole point of Bangernomics which is allowing you to spend money on more important things such as food, drink and just possibly an interesting hobby car.

I had a Corolla for about 18 months, during which time, I spent about 10 on it. That was for replacement bulbholders for the rear light clusters, which had filled up with water, and rotted.

Not bad, considering I got it for free. (Colleague at work, wanted 50 for it. I agreed to but then it blew a hose on the way. So he said, "Balls. Just take it..")

I admit it was dire, though. Wallowed like a hippo, and had the acceleration of a rampaging glacier.

Toyota make "white goods" cars. For people who don't really like driving, they just need to get from a to b with no hassle.

Back to top Go down
NerveJam
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2007-08-21

PostSubject: I love eBay, me!   Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:36 pm

Admin wrote:
I'm not the biggest fan of Ebay

I am! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Ebay   Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:21 pm

Recently I have spotted several cloned cars and yes you do need to be a greedy idiot to be taken in, but Ebay are slow to remove them...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bangernomics is the greenest way to go motoring...   

Back to top Go down

Bangernomics is the greenest way to go motoring...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1