AuthorMessage
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: What's your favourite Banger?   Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

Mark 2 Golf no question, ideally with GTI bits. Land Rover Series 3 also does the business and a 1976 Datsun Cherry, though they have all rusted to bits by now. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com

AuthorMessage
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Golf   Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:35 pm

I loved the computers on my GTIs, so simple, who needs iDrive....never a breakdown in 200,000 miles...brilliant.
Back to top Go down
jerrytee
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-10-27

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite Banger?   Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:01 pm

BMW 520i Just got one with 91000 on the clock. Its got the 24v straight six engine. Don't you just love chain driven camshafts.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: 525   Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:29 pm

I miss my 525 every day and chains make much more sense which may explain why I still have the Saab 9000...
Back to top Go down
kieran1978
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite Banger?   Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:47 pm

Well Iam now gonna say Peugeot 309 1900 Diesel the old PSA Diesels, what fab little engines and there seem to go on for ever. Just over 100 miles for a 10. No Power steering or anything electrical to go wrong. Si id say an old pug diesel is a good banger.
Back to top Go down
r.welfare
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-07-18

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite Banger?   Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:47 pm

The XUDs are great engines, but need the coolant changing every 2 years and the radiators every 100,000 miles to make sure the head gasket - the only real weak point, and more of an issue on the turbos than the non-turbo - stays sound. I've got two 405s with the turbo lump, one on 198,500 miles and one on 184,000; they will be good for many more, I hope!
Back to top Go down
NerveJam
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2007-08-21

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite Banger?   Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:23 pm

[quote="NerveJam"]Nissan "BUBBLE" Micra

I've got two.

One M reg, the other N reg. One was bought for 500, four years ago. Only missed a beat once or twice. Usually in the damp.

The other is a "Goldstar" special. Tacky fake wood, etc...
Got it for nothing. Really. A colleague was scrapping it.
(Got me into loads of bother, that. "Why can't you just bring stray dogs home, not bloody cars..")

It has a fault whereby it stops dead once it warms up. Trouble is, it now won't start at all. Makes a loud click-click-click-click noise when I try it. Damn.

Any ideas?

I thought of just replacing both the silly underbonnet fuse/relay boxes en-masse, and crossing my fingers.

What do you think?

Update!

I finally got around to sorting out the Goldstar... The fault was the coil. Unfortunately, the coil is built-in to the dizzy, so I got a dizzy (and battery) from a scrapper, and did a swap. In a howling gale. Now runs.
This job is SO easy, even I could do it! I did.
Important to note the position of the "old" dizzy before removing it.

Couple of other jobs, eg headlamp fuse holder US, and it'll be MOT time...

Back to top Go down
jadis
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-12-29

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite Banger?   Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:04 pm

I love old bubble shapped micras too. Simple, bomb proof little things. Plenty cheap spares about, only problems I have had is sills rot and newer bubbles use a odd 14" tyre size, which can be stupidly expensive if you don't shop around.
Back to top Go down
Ian_Fearn
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite Banger?   Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:19 pm

Front crossmembers rot away too! Avoid the CVT auto model if you want true hassle free motoring.

Mk3 Cavalier was a great cheapy hero although many suffer with serious corrosion problems these days. I had one, paid 102quid for it off ebay. Sold it 2 months later for 450quid.

Most 1980's designed cars make good bargain buys providing you dont mind getting deep down and dirty with the mechanicals. Most stuff from 2000 onwards seems to be made from cheese.
Back to top Go down
SOJC
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-09-01

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite Banger?   Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:01 pm

Reviving a bit of an old thread.
My Shite Old Japanese Car, is a Toyota Corona II 2.0L diesel estate. Bought a few years ago from an old boy who had it as his company car and was given it on retiral. It's now 21 years old and still only has 90K on the clock. Still drives like new and everything works. All the doors shut with a nice clunk and the trim is held in place with enough screws and clips to make sure no rattles happen.
I've seen tales of them going around the clock several times and it was usually the body work that finally killed them. This one has been well protected from new; there's not a trace of rust underneath, but where there was a stone chip on the paintwork, the underlying steel was quite quick to rot, so I've been prompt about keeping it patched up.
It's no speedwagon, but when I jump into it from my Transit, it's fast enough Smile
The handy thing really, is the running costs are about half that of the van - tyres are dirt cheap, it gets a minimun of 15mpg more, and the tax/insurance are half the cost.
Here, Ireland, the Corona was utterly ubiquitous twenty years ago - they were the minicab drivers' weapon of choice and you couldn't move for them. Most of them have disappeared in recent years, with the various scrappage schemes in play, but there are still quite a few around.
I hope to keep this one going for years yet, and when the body finally dies, I'll use the engine in something else - no electronics to go wrong.
Back to top Go down
ricc
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-08-31

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite Banger?   Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:51 am

89 fourtrak no electronics, go anywhere, starts first time every time, only downside is it blows its water out.... fine for pottering about close to home but needs topping up before and after a 10 mile trip.
Back to top Go down
misterspivvy
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-09-03

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite Banger?   Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:19 pm

RockDad wrote:
Started by identifying real simple technology cars ie no electronics like ECUs, catalysers etc. The best was the 1990 Volvo 740 estate base model. Just for one year Volvo did the then new facelift model with the old 2.3 carb engine from the ultra reliable 240, tons of torque compared with the newer 2.0 fuel injection. The 740 base model is as simple as a Morris Minor and ten times as reliable. Its only concession to modernity is electronic ignition and heated seats. Look for manual sunroof, windows, etc - no electric motors to burn out. It all adds up to cheap servicing, parts and running. For years 740s were the UK's biggest selling estates, so plenty of secondhand stuff from the scrapyards if you need it too. Lots for sale on Autotrader, from 100 - 500, even one owner, FVSH cars are less than a grand. Eat high mileages, at 100,000 miles they are only half-way through their life, when cars like Fords are falling apart.

I'm with you here. Never owned the base one, but had a 740 turbo diesel which was brilliant, and now have a 740 GLT which is also brilliant, just a bit thirsty
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite Banger?   

Back to top Go down

What's your favourite Banger?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2