AuthorMessage
badshot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-06-06

PostSubject: Modern bangers (well sort of!)   Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:50 pm

Hi all,

I've had my fair share of cars over the years the newest one being a 6 month old Mini Cooper back in 93. The 1.3i not really a proper cooper but good fun nevertheless.

For the last couple of years I've been driving a 1.8 mk3 Mondeo estate. I bought it for 775 back in 2011 and its never let me down, and has been very cheap to run.

I say modern cars because as cars go these days, this thing is 12 years old and has more airbags than a stunt movie set (10!), a heated front windscreen ice cold aircon its also very quiet and comfortable, and not bad on the jungle juice on a run.

I keep thinking of getting rid, but it does everything I want and with 128,000 miles isn't worth a lot. Who knows I think it'll go on for a while yet!

Moved to appropriate forum, from 'Forum announcements' Thumb

Under A Grand
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Modern bangers (well sort of!)   Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:24 am

My thinking if it's got airbags and a cd player as standard it modern, having only recently moved up from carburettor, tapes and manual windows. Had a spacewagon once with electric heated mirrors - thought that was the bees knees......

Last edited by Under A Grand on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
D7
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Modern bangers (well sort of!)   Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:28 am

Its amazing what cars are now falling into Bangernomics territory. Those Mondeo's are seriously cheap cars, I've had 2 MK3's in the past,a 52 reg 1.8 Zetec and a 54reg 2.0 TDCi Ghia X. I'd have another, but would stay with petrol as my Diesel spent more time at the dealership.

My only concern with these more modern cars is how long will they remain viable on the bangernomics principle. Looking at late 80's/early 90's cars (and even late 90's in terms of smaller cars) that weren't very complex at all, there was very little to go wrong, but more modern cars with more complex systems are likely to fall out of the principle a lot easier when repairs quite easily exceed the threshold of what is acceptable to repair?

Nonetheless, good cars the Mondeo's, definitely a good choice at that price !
Back to top Go down
badshot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Modern bangers (well sort of!)   Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:36 am

You have hit the nail on the head, it's something I spoke about in another post, to keep up with emissions diesels are being made into rocket ships, far too complicated and most end up in the garage after long. The best diesel out there well modern ish one is the 2.0l PSA / Citroen HDI. Its very reliable when serviced correctly and plenty powerful. Stick to petrol I have an 1800 estate and its plenty for me, not the best on short journeys but great on the motorway and very confortable. I've even sold petrol 1800 mondeo a to minicar drivers as they had given up on the expense of being off the road when there TDCI is in the garage again!

stereosound
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2007-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Modern bangers (well sort of!)   Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:34 am

There is always another option with newer more sophisticated bangers if you have the space?

By more than one for doner cars :Wky:

You used to see a lot of this in the past but not so much these days No

Which gives me an idea for another thread :Wky:

Back to top Go down
robinmasters
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Modern bangers (well sort of!)   Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:19 am

I've just bought a Laguna for 800.

It's an '02, so loads of airbags, leccy Windows, mirrors and sunroof, auto-dimming mirror, abs, dual zone air con, and most importantly you start it with a big button that says 'start' on it. It's what I would consider a new car.

But it cost the same as the metro I bought when I passed my test, which was Ooops.

I know it's going to break, but it cost 800, a months pay on minimum wage. I was on minimum wage until fairly recently, and a lot of my colleagues drove brand new cars. Bottom of the range, and on finance, but 800 is 3-4 finance payments. People are mental.
Back to top Go down
Essex man
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Modern bangers (well sort of!)   Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:51 pm

I drive a 1993 car and some would describe it as a "classic". Lots of vehicles from 90s are now getting a lot of interest from enthusiasts and not just being made into "track day specials". I guess banger is over 10yrs which means 02/03 and back
Back to top Go down
Father Tiresias
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Modern bangers (well sort of!)   Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:04 am

badshot wrote:
The best diesel out there well modern ish one is the 2.0l PSA / Citroen HDI. Its very reliable when serviced correctly and plenty powerful.

I would disagree on that point. They have an incredibly sensitive HP fuel system and the slightest bit of contamination will render the whole lot as scrap, which in turn wrights the car off on repair cost. Even when maintained properly unless fuel filters and other fuel system parts are changed under virtually laboratory conditions there is a serious chance of getting contamination into the system.
Back to top Go down
Essex man
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Modern bangers (well sort of!)   Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:34 am

Where I live, Citroen picasso and C5 diesels are popular minicabs. To be fair, minicab drivers do not usually buy unreliable/expensive to run cars.
Back to top Go down
Father Tiresias
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Modern bangers (well sort of!)   Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:23 pm

Essex man wrote:
Where I live, Citroen picasso and C5 diesels are popular minicabs. To be fair, minicab drivers do not usually buy unreliable/expensive to run cars.

Very true, and for that very reason they also get them dealer serviced with the right tools in the right clean conditions and don't buy them when they have reached banger status with 100k+ miles on them!!

Strangely enough around here about 99% of the cabs are Toyota's.
Back to top Go down
Essex man
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Modern bangers (well sort of!)   Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:33 am

Father Tiresias wrote:
Essex man wrote:

Very true, and for that very reason they also get them dealer serviced with the right tools in the right clean conditions and don't buy them when they have reached banger status with 100k+ miles on them!!

The point I was trying to make was that mini cab drivers would not buy an unreliable car for obvious reasons regardless of the manufacturer. "Dealer servicing" is a requirement of the lease package for cab firms that lease their own vehicles and hire them out to drivers. Whereas "owner drivers" either use their own vehicles or purchase a vehicle for use as a cab. Obviously there are many types of "cab" and you will have a very different experience depending on whether you are being taken to an airport on a business trip on your company account, or trying to get home after an evening in a night club!

I am not suggesting buy an ex mini cab, but instead using their ability to clock up huge mileages and the worse conditions to evaluate what is basically a good car for you. Same reasoning can be applied to "police cars". The police do not want cars that breakdown too often.

Likewise, Renault Laguna Mk2 never caught on as a minicab the way that the mk1 did for obvious reasons.

Current "owner driver" minicabs seem to be C5, Picasso, Skoda, Vauxhall Zafira, Chrysler Voyager, Ford Galaxy; Toyota have gone out of fashion in the last few years, but that is probably due to the current Toyota range having been affected by reliability issues.
Back to top Go down
equidents
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2013-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Modern bangers (well sort of!)   Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:42 am

Father Tiresias wrote:
badshot wrote:
The best diesel out there well modern ish one is the 2.0l PSA / Citroen HDI. Its very reliable when serviced correctly and plenty powerful.

I would disagree on that point. They have an incredibly sensitive HP fuel system and the slightest bit of contamination will render the whole lot as scrap, which in turn wrights the car off on repair cost. Even when maintained properly unless fuel filters and other fuel system parts are changed under virtually laboratory conditions there is a serious chance of getting contamination into the system.

I spoke to my local village Peugot man, been there gawd knows how long, he reckons properly serviced the life of that motor in it's early form (406 guise) is 300kms and then they are done pretty much.
Back to top Go down
http://www.raidequestrian.co.uk
Father Tiresias
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Modern bangers (well sort of!)   Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:56 am

Essex man wrote:
Father Tiresias wrote:
Essex man wrote:

The point I was trying to make was that mini cab drivers would not buy an unreliable car for obvious reasons regardless of the manufacturer. "Dealer servicing" is a requirement of the lease package for cab firms that lease their own vehicles and hire them out to drivers. Whereas "owner drivers" either use their own vehicles or purchase a vehicle for use as a cab. Obviously there are many types of "cab" and you will have a very different experience depending on whether you are being taken to an airport on a business trip on your company account, or trying to get home after an evening in a night club!

I am not suggesting buy an ex mini cab, but instead using their ability to clock up huge mileages and the worse conditions to evaluate what is basically a good car for you. Same reasoning can be applied to "police cars". The police do not want cars that breakdown too often.

Likewise, Renault Laguna Mk2 never caught on as a minicab the way that the mk1 did for obvious reasons.

Current "owner driver" minicabs seem to be C5, Picasso, Skoda, Vauxhall Zafira, Chrysler Voyager, Ford Galaxy; Toyota have gone out of fashion in the last few years, but that is probably due to the current Toyota range having been affected by reliability issues.

With respect I think you are missing the point. The OP is talking about a replacement car that falls into the category of banger. By implication this probably means 10+ years old and quite a lot of owners. Unfortunately once you get past a couple of years old and two or three owners most dealer servicing goes by the wayside and the car is either serviced by a generic garage, by the owner or not at all. Cars and in particular their fuel systems are immensely complex these days and neglect will play havoc with them. And this is when the true reliability and resilience to abuse of a car comes to the fore, not when it is a couple of years old and serviced by the main dealer. At this stage of their life cycle Peugeot HDi's are not very good at all with particularly delicate in tank pumps that can do a whole heap of damage to the rest of the fuel system when they start to fail. Hence what a mini cab driver uses when nearly new really has little relevance to someone who wants to buy a much older banger.

It's the same for Police cars. Although many have stratospheric mileages they are extremely well looked after and serviced to the letter of the book and want for nothing at all. It's not unusual for a Police car to have as much spent on it again as its original cost over its service life. But a few years after they have been sold off (usually at a bargain price) how much of that servicing do you think is actually done in a main dealer and paid for by the owner who has just bought a car with 250k miles on the clock for half its retail value?
Back to top Go down
Essex man
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Modern bangers (well sort of!)   Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:52 pm

I agree with everything you say

I cant wait for the first Toyota Prius to enter "banger" status. god help us
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modern bangers (well sort of!)   

Back to top Go down

Modern bangers (well sort of!)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1