AuthorMessage
equidents
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2013-01-27

PostSubject: Bangers in France!   Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:34 pm

Hi all,

I think I qualify for this forum. I moved here 10 years ago. I am a Horse dentist and I have an online horse equipment site which between them and my wifes nurses pay manage to keep us, our son, 4 horses and various other animals.

I have a Ford Ranger Mk1 MY2002 bought 4 years ago with 37000 miles on it (I buy RHD cars coz French ones are 2 to 2.5 times the price. This is to pull 3 trailers. 1 for horses, 1 with stock when we do horse shows and the 3rd for cement, stone etc etc.

I also bought here a RHD ford focus 2.0 ghia MY2000 to run around doing horses teeth. I do 12000 miles + a year. The focus saves me from wearing out a low mileage expensive to replace 4x4.

I have come to the conclusion that in order to run all these things and keep my wife in the rather poor manner that she has become accustomed to I have to look after my own motors and buy carefully and keenly.

I budget 500euros a year in depreciation so the focus nearly owes me nowt.

Next car? Hmmmn! I think possibly MGZS 2.0TD or a VW based 1.9tdi Octavia, Leon, Bora maybe.

I did a little MS excel calc and reckon diesel (due to the price diff in France and the right car could save me as much as 800 euros a year which more than cancels out the depreciation and you could argue is self funding!

why the MGZS, nice handling, enough toys, cracking L series diesel and easy maintenance for the DIY er. The VW does offer a more modern chassis which makes it attractive. I do need a modern car so maybe not a banger but my version of it.

Ian aka Equidents
Back to top Go down
http://www.raidequestrian.co.uk
EasternBloc
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2013-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Bangers in France!   Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:20 am

Hello over there and welcome.

Wow - until now I never even thought about Horses having Dentists.

And for qualifying? I'd vote yes Wink This is about keeping the vehicle of choice beyond the manufacturer's preferred 'usage' expectancy, the cost engineered after 'x' years you must have a new one route *. It doesn't have to be the 75 quid, original sense banger from the local garage, the one in the corner, they have been trying to shift for ages car. Though I have had one like that once (in 2000)! I quite like the idea of having, lets say, 'work horse' banger to keep the second banger with fewer miles on the clock, (we are currently a single banger family). Lets just maximise the return for the initial outlay.

To think this forum can bee seen anywhere around the globe! At least in Europe (and other developed countries), we have the choice of how much / little we can spend on a car. In some countries it is necessity that forces the type of cars people have Shocked

Not felt the urge to go native the type of car then?

I've have very little experience of Rover's. Borrowed a works Montego, (one mate called them 'Monte no goes') once for about 100 miles could be nearly 20 years ago, and around the same time a mates Acclaim for half a day. I must admit I did wonder about a 600 series going back a bit, for the family. There a plenty of older later 90's early 00's Rover running around still, and looking tidy, around here. But ended up down a different manufacturing route. I've heard the MGZS are a good drive? Decisions hey? Love to hear (& see some pics) of what you do decide.

Loo

* I do wonder if with the more electronics on new cars whether there will be a sort of 'Blade Runner', Roy Batty's Android obsolescence built in and it won't be too long before cars expiry because they have reached their end of life date? affraid

Back to top Go down
macp
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2013-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Bangers in France!   Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:39 am

Bonjour and welcome to the forum excellent & interesting post by the way.
Back to top Go down
equidents
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Bangers in France!   Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:20 pm

Hi,

No I haven't felt any urge to go native!

When you live here you realise that the French, at least where I live have limited imagination.

You buy a French car in 1 of 3 colours. White Grey or Silver.

Drive on the wrong side on blind bends and/or too close, open the doors to bang into the car parked next to you and irrespective of miles or usage it has to be a diesel!

I exaggerate of course, it does feel like that sometimes though.

I was told my focus was unsaleable, being blessed with the three sins of:- RHD, Petrol and Red!

I did have a French mechanic at our little Gite last year and he worked in Paris for a multi car dealer Peugot Kia and something else. So i was interested in a big tow car as a poss replacement and asked about 607's.

Apparently they are rejected by the dealerships at 130,000kms as being too expensive to give a guarantee on! Motors are OK but all the other bits, electronics etc are dodgy. He drove a Kia. Said at least most of the compnents will last the life of the car!

I don't mind some of em. 406's saloons and coupes, Xantia's are nice but becoming rare here too. ZX's are nice and sinple and good cars so I guess Xsara's as well. Renault 5's 205's 309's all good old bangers.

I do need something a bit more modern though. I am sometimes 4 hours from home in the middle of nowhere just as it is going dark so I need some modern comforts and reliabilty as well if poss.

Parts prices are mad here as well! got quoted 196 euros for a set of brake pads for the Ranger!!!
Cost me about a third of that posted out from the UK including a set of rear's for the focus!
MOT is good though. once every 2 years + an annual emissions on the Ranger. No road tax after the initial one on registration and Insurance is pretty good too.

I even have oil from Opie! If I buy 20litres it's cheaper and luckily all 3 cars (my wife has a fusion) are the same spec.

Ian
Back to top Go down
TechSupport
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2013-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Bangers in France!   Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:28 pm

I've moved this here because it's turning into a chat thread rather than an intro which is what the OP started. Thumb

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
EasternBloc
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2013-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Bangers in France!   Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:05 pm

Do some of the locals follow a Bangernomics principle? Are old 2CVs and Renault 4s knocking about due to their simple designs? Or more recent old cars e.g Renault 11s and others

Or does there tend to be an urban / rural split. With urban areas favouring the more modern vehicles?

130k is very far surely for a modern car!

Domestic duty calls.......
Back to top Go down
equidents
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Bangers in France!   Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:21 pm

EasternBloc wrote:
Do some of the locals follow a Bangernomics principle? Are old 2CVs and Renault 4s knocking about due to their simple designs? Or more recent old cars e.g Renault 11s and others

Or does there tend to be an urban / rural split. With urban areas favouring the more modern vehicles?

130k is very far surely for a modern car!

Domestic duty calls.......

2CV's are classics here as are R4's but yes you see R4's being used as daily transport.

130k is 80,000 miles so not a lot really. did you mean "not" far?

I would say yes to the split urban/rural more older cars in the country the further from a BIG city the more likely.

Most common thing here is the Renault Express van which seems to be a 5 underneath as far as I can see. Now being replaced by Kangoo and berlingo/Partner vans. "Farmers cars"

Quite a few old Peugot J9's which look like the old Commer Van with the sliding front doors like a Bedfords had too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bangers in France!   

Back to top Go down

Bangers in France!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1