HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | .

Running an Old Benz Disel on Waste Veg Oil?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joloke
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Running an Old Benz Disel on Waste Veg Oil?   Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:48 pm

I am starting to think seriously about doing this on on my Mercedes 190d 2.5 that has the OM602 5 pot derv Lump what do others think?

Ive always wanted a Benz Diesel since seeing Jonny Smith on Fifth Gear run a 2.5d W124 on WVO

For your Enjoyment heres the Video

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

What do others think? Go for it or not?

Jodie Smile

redlorry
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Running an Old Benz Disel on Waste Veg Oil?   Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:28 pm

Totally go for it!!

I've been running my wee VW Lupo SDI on veg oil for a couple of years now. Its just as slow and noisy as it would be on normal diesel, just costs even less to run now Thumb
Back to top Go down
FredTransit
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Running an Old Benz Disel on Waste Veg Oil?   Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:34 am

from reading on the web older german and french engines love veg. The secret is the injection pump which has to be a Bosch. You can use fresh oil straight into the tank. Waste oil must be allowed to settle so the sludge and water sinks then filtered. Two layers of old cotton sheeting works well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
redlorry
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Running an Old Benz Disel on Waste Veg Oil?   Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:53 am

As far as I am aware, all pre-2004 non-PD VW/Audi diesel engines are good to use veg oil.... just the ones us banger fans are driving about in Smile

1991 Volkswagen Golf 1.3 Ryder 5dr
Back to top Go down
Joloke
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Running an Old Benz Disel on Waste Veg Oil?   Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:56 am

Thanks for the info guys mine definitely has a Bosch pump Thumb

I think i need to replace the filters first and i will most probably have to remove the tank and either clean or replace the tank strainer but once the warmer weather is more established i am definitely going to try this Thumb

redlorry
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Running an Old Benz Disel on Waste Veg Oil?   Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:59 am

I didn't do anything sophisticated like remove tank or anything - just had a fuel filter to hand and fitted this when the original eventually clogged up with all the muck that veg oil cleaned out of the tank...

I've done a couple of fuel filter replacements since I started using veg oil, but no other work has been required.

1991 Volkswagen Golf 1.3 Ryder 5dr
Back to top Go down
Joloke
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Running an Old Benz Disel on Waste Veg Oil?   Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:59 pm

redlorry wrote:
I didn't do anything sophisticated like remove tank or anything - just had a fuel filter to hand and fitted this when the original eventually clogged up with all the muck that veg oil cleaned out of the tank...

I've done a couple of fuel filter replacements since I started using veg oil, but no other work has been required.

Apparently a known achilles heel on the Mercedes tanks of this era is they have an internal tank strainer that often becomes clogged to the point it wont even pump from from the tank affraid

Once that's been cleaned or replaced you generally only have to regularly replace the main and pre filters :Wky:

On the w123 and 124 series they can be removed from below but the w201 I have its actually easier to remove the tank as access is not that special from below No

To give you an idea a typical tank strainer that's never been removed looks like this

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

affraid affraid affraid

When clean or a new one they look like this

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Spot the difference Shock

Wrench
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2007-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Running an Old Benz Disel on Waste Veg Oil?   Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:59 pm

I'm very interested in this post so I will be keeping my eye on on it, one question, do you have to use any sort of heater with Veg oil Good post

Something like this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
c5alan
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Running an Old Benz Disel on Waste Veg Oil?   Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:32 am

if you have a 190 you need to get over to mercedes190.co.uk they are a wealth of knowledge for the 190 my user name over there is Alan I have sold my 190e but still frequent there now and then you need to check out the alternative fuel section some great info on veg Kentronix has been running a w124 estate for years on the stuff and is a wealth of knowledge

def worth fitting a prefilter to your main fuel filter you can get large clear inline filters that you can see clogging and are cheap and easy to replace when you car starts to act up. I am running one on the c5 and I use bio diesel and carry a spare in the glove box. To fit cut the fuel pipe before the main filter shove the pipe on either side of the filter and tighten with clamps and job done. Start driving and enjoy the smell of chips
Back to top Go down
Joloke
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Running an Old Benz Disel on Waste Veg Oil?   Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:50 am

Thanks for the tip Alan will do :Wky:

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Running an Old Benz Disel on Waste Veg Oil?   

Back to top Go down

Running an Old Benz Disel on Waste Veg Oil?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1