View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joloke
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Which Oil? Mineral Semi or Synthetic?   Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:41 pm

My Old Mercedes Diesel is due an oil change but i am not 100% sure what oil to go for?

The Owners Manual recommends something between 10-15w40 specific diesel oil for this sort of climate but does not say whether i should use Mineral,Synthetic or Semi Synthetic Question

I think Fully Synthetic is ruled out because of the high cost and there doesn't appear to be any "thicker" grades in Fully Synthetic they all appear to be in the 0-5w30 region Rolling Eyes

So that leaves Mineral or Semi Synthetic?

There are a few Semi Synthetics but again they appear not to be that readily available Crying or Very sad

The vast majority of Diesel Specific 15w40 grade oil's either don't state whether they are mineral or semi and often just say "Multigrade" Rolling Eyes

I Know the Tech here swears by Generic Supermarket Diesel Oil i just want to make sure i do the oil change with the correct oil Wink

If its Any Help the vast majority of oil changes from Mercedes back in its youth were done using the following Oils

Esso Superlube (no longer Available)

Mobil (but doesn't state which one?)

Shell Helix

Help!!!

Jodie Very Happy

redlorry
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Which Oil? Mineral Semi or Synthetic?   Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:32 pm

There are many good guides on the web providing guidance on what oils to use. Maybe have a look at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] You can also do a search on opie oils for suitable oils for your specific car which may point you in the right direction.

My understanding is that you should use the grade of oil recommended for the engine - any type, but preferably compliant with the manufacturers specification - but the most important thing is to change it as often as practical and, at the very minimum, in accordance with the manufacturers mileage/time service schedule.

1991 Volkswagen Golf 1.3 Ryder 5dr
Back to top Go down
Joloke
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Which Oil? Mineral Semi or Synthetic?   Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:25 pm

Thanks redlorry

Our tech support here highly recommends the cheap stuff from wilkinsons but not sure if its mineral or semi either way I think its the grade that matters and searching online factors using my car details I have had both Mineral and semi recommended Rolling Eyes

c5alan
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Which Oil? Mineral Semi or Synthetic?   Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:47 pm

I would say if the mileage is getting high start going for the slightly thicker oils as parts will be worn and this will help reduce oil consumption and smoke. I always use castrol when its on sale in Asda and ring merc for a price on the oil filter actually competitive to autoparts stores for many parts and if you do mist if tourism work join the owners club as you get a discount card for parts worth the cost for the yearplus the mags and access to the online parts catalog with exploded diagrams
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Which Oil? Mineral Semi or Synthetic?   Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:38 am

I use Mobil Delvac MX 15W40 here, a heavy duty mineral oil designed primarily for trucks. Pretty good price and, I assume, pretty good quality. Should be available in the UK. I used to use straight 40 weight (Delvac 1300 or CPC) and still use it for topping up. That's probably too thick for UK coldstarts, and maybe a bit too thick even for here.

Like most readily available "diesel" oils, the Delvac is cross-specced with an API S ( for petrol "spark ignition" engines) grade , SL IIRC. That's not bad, but later spec (SM etc) oils have lower limits on Zn levels to meet US EPA catalyst longevity requirements, and the protection of valve gear may (its contoversial) be compromised, so I'd try and avoid them.

While synthetic oils are probably superior, they allow/encourage longer change intervals, and I'm unconvinced thats a good thing with older vehicles, especially older diesels, which tend to make thier oil dirtier.

I think I'd only use sythetics if I'd got a bypass filtration system installed.

If an oil doesn't say its synthetic on the package, it almost certainly isn't. The marketing people will make sure of that.

(not so sure about vice versa, since "synthetic" is variously interpreted).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which Oil? Mineral Semi or Synthetic?   

Back to top Go down

Which Oil? Mineral Semi or Synthetic?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1