HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | .

 Small Scale Domestic Biodiesel Production.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 325
Age : 65
Location : Shropshire
Registration date : 2013-01-25

PostSubject: Small Scale Domestic Biodiesel Production.   Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:55 am

Environment Agency regs regarding collecting/storage of OIL

Small Scale Domestic Biodiesel Production.

Thank you for your recent query about Small Scale Domestic Biodiesel Production.

Our current position on Small Scale Domestic Biodiesel Production is detailed in the following Questions and Answers:

Do I need a Waste Carriers Licence to transport used cooking oil if I am buying it for my own use?

You do not need a waste carriers licence if you:

• are buying the oil for your own use in your own private vehicle;
• are not profiting from the activity;
• are not collecting it or using it as part of a commercial or business enterprise.

Does a transfer note need to be completed when the producer of waste cooking oil gives it to somebody complying with the conditions above?

Yes, a transfer note should be completed. More information by clicking the link

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Can people sell used vegetable oil on Ebay or advertise it in other ways?

Yes. If the used vegetable oil is being sold by the producer of the waste they can do so. If the used vegetable oil is being sold by a third party it will be necessary for them to be a registered waste broker.

How do you suggest we dispose of glycerol?

Glycerol can be used in the oleochemical industry, but few markets exist for the small amounts produced by householders. Do not pour glycerol down the drain without getting the authority of your sewage undertaker. Your local authority will provide you with advice on appropriate civic amenity sites which are able to accept this waste.

Bunding requirements for Used Cooking Oil and biodiesel

For domestic oil storage the Oil Storage Regulation apply to containers with a storage capacity of more than 3,500 litres

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

We would advise the following:

• Oils and chemicals are stored in an area where spills can be contained. This should be within an impermeable bund. A bund is a secondary containment area that holds liquids if the main containers leak or break. If you have one oil storage container in a bund, the bund must be able to hold 110% of its volume. If you have more than one container in a bund, the bund must be able to hold 25% of the total volume of the containers or 110% of the largest container’s volume. Bunds should be inspected regularly and rainwater removed;
• Tanks should be located at least 10 metres from watercourses and steps should be taken to minimise the risk of damage to the tanks/bund by impact.

Further information on pollution prevention is available

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

When does waste vegetable oil cease to be waste?

Waste vegetable oil ceases to be classified as a waste at the point of combustion in a vehicle’s engine. However, the Environment Agency has developed a low risk position whereby biodiesel produced from waste cooking oil is not subject to waste regulation as long as it is stored securely.

This low risk waste position (LRW03) covers:

• The storage of up to 5000 litres of cooking oil prior to recovery;
• The treatment of up to 250 litres at anytime of waste cooking oil to produce biodiesel;
• The secure storage of waste derived biodiesel (a fuel derived from the treatment of waste cooking oil and animal fat);
• The recovery of waste derived biodiesel as a fuel in motor vehicles.

Waste activities must not be carried out in a manner that causes or is likely to cause pollution or harm to human health. If we consider that an activity is or is likely to pollute or cause harm we will consider legal action.

The storage of the waste cooking oil must be in a secure place. A place is secure if all reasonable precautions are taken to ensure that the waste cannot escape from it and members of the public are unable to gain access to the waste.

Are there any Health and Safety Guidelines I should follow when making biodiesel?

Yes. These guidelines from the HSE website should be followed:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

What about the lower rate of excise duty on biodiesel?

You can find out more information on this from the HM Revenue and Customs website:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

In short it says that ANYONE can have 2500Litres of oil/biodiesel to use as fuel a year WITHOUT registering and paying duty.

IF you know you will go over this allowance in any year then you MUST register and pay duty

IF you go over your allowance then you must tell them and pay duty on the amount you go over.

This applies to everyone I.E private and commercial users.
however if your selling biofuels commercially then you must register and pay as you will definitely go over the allowance.

The allowance is NOT transferable, you cannot buy a processor and share it with anyone as the allowance is per premises, same reason families only have one allowance to share.

You cannot buy a processor and have it on a trailer and lend it to a friend or rent it out as once it has processed 2500 Litres duty is payable.

If you would like further clarification on any of these questions or have an additional question not included, please do not hesitate to contact us on 08708 506506, Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm. You can also email us via [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down

Small Scale Domestic Biodiesel Production.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bangernomics :: Alternative fuels-