View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rovamota
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Uneconomic Bangernomics.   Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:58 pm

I hear a lot about people who get quoted telephone number figures for repairs to their cars at MoT time. Just been reading about someone who's 1995 Rover 214 has failed the MoT due to the catalyst failing and they've been quoted 270 'all in' to supply and fit a new cat, plus the cost of the retest on top of that.

When I get quoted figures like that I'm straight on the phone ringing around for the lowest price, and I know for a fact that a catalyst for that Rover 214 costs about 52 from my local exhaust supplier, but you have to fit it yourself. And all that's required to change it is a pair of ramps, a 13mm spanner and socket and about an hour of your time.

Even if you have to buy those tools you'd have change of 40 and they'll always come in useful. No one relishes the thought of scrabbling under a car on a freezing cold evening with a lead light trying to undo rusty exhaust bolts, but a potential saving of around 170 is surely a very big incentive. I've done it enough times, and I have now got the vocabulary of a docker and skinned knuckles to prove it.

Sadly, I think the days of the well thumbed Haynes manual fading on the rear parcel shelf are well gone. Most people prefer to use the plastic spanner (credit card) to get their cars fixed nowadays which negates the joys of Bangernomics.

Kev.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Stickers and Spanners   Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:09 pm

Evening Kev and firstly many thanks for my truly wonderful stickers which will be applied to a vehicle near me, although it is unlikely to be wedge shaped. You are spot on with the Haynes issue. Partly I think people are scared of mucking up their cars and also so many just won't have a go. In the last few years I have done some very simple 'fitters' jobs that have saved me absolutely hundreds. No technical knowledge needed, as you say, just some spanners...THe most recent repair was a leaking washer bottle on the Saab. Once upon a time you could see the bottle and all the tubes and if there was a problem it was a simple fix, but all the gubbins was in the inner wing. It took me hours to get the bottle and the broken T connector, but although it was sub zero the longer I spent on it the more determined I became. These days though I find youngsters in particular not that inclined to sort stuff out, I do fear for Haynes really as it will become an oily footnote. One of the joys of buying a car was getting the workshop manual that came with it. I haven't had one of those for years....All the best James
Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com
Rovamota
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Uneconomic Bangernomics.   Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:35 pm

Glad you got the stickers, James. Be careful where you put them and you've got them in the right place because once they're on, they're on!

Yeah, a lot of drivers these days don't even know where the bonnet release lever is in their cars, so God help them when something goes wrong. There's a guy at work who knows as much about cars as Phil Jupitus knows about comedy. The radio code needs entering on his car CD/radio and he has the number and the manual to do it, but after three attempts of getting it wrong he got fed up so went to Halfrauds and bought a new CD player for 100.

You know, you just give up with these people.

I do wonder what the future is for Haynes also, if you look at one of their latest manuals many of the operations require a visit to the dealer, negating (that's twice I've used that word in this thread!) the need for the manual in the first place! But it is sad that some people believe that unbolting an old component and fitting a new one is beyond their capabilities, even if a task is as simple as changing a light bulb.

Kev.

By the way, I saw my mention in Autocar today. Cheers for that.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Uneconomic Bangernomics   Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Hello Kev, plans for bigger Bangernomics activity should bear fruit in early 2008 so hopefully there will be a lot more people we can bother on this subject. I haven't seen Autocar as it gets posted to me so that'll be another week then...J
Back to top Go down
Rovamota
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Uneconomic Bangernomics.   Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:04 pm

I look forward to it.

By the way, my BRM passed the MoT last week with no advises. As it's been such a good boy I'll treat it to some fresh oil and a new filter, and I'll even do it myself. I've had a year of trouble free motoring with the BRM, although I paid 2500 for it last December it's slightly out of Bangernomics territory but it does prove you can own a rare and interesting car without breaking the bank, and it's still worth nearly what I paid for it. I know we've seen some some cheaper ones around but no service history and high mileage really hits values.

Nice, well cared for cars/bangers with low ownership are always worth more.

Kev.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: BRM   Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:33 pm

Glad to hear about the BRM, but don't beat yourself up about 2500 which isn't a fraction of the depreciation on a so-called prestige motor these days and that virtually guarantees a trouble free and interesting car. THat's probably what I will spend next time. I spent 1800 on Mrs R's Saab 2.5 years ago and spotted an identical model with a bit less mileage for 1800 the other day. Obviously the dealer wants too much, though it is immaculate, but it gives me a warm feeling. The good news is that Mrs R hates the idea of spending too much on a car and I want her to change so I can go out and buy something, anything. At least the loan out of my 525 means I can sort of start looking around again. See you down the auctions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Uneconomic Bangernomics.   

Back to top Go down

Uneconomic Bangernomics.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bangernomics :: Chat :: Banger chat-