AuthorMessage
macp
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2013-01-22

PostSubject: Big or small   Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:06 pm

Dear all

My first post and good to be here. We need a 2nd car just for school runs and a bit of commuting. Because of fuel costs, VED costs etc I thought it best to go for something small and economical but a lot of you guys I note dont seem to care and just buy the best you can find no matter what it is. So whats the thinking behind this ?
Back to top Go down
KingKade
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2012-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Big or small   Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:55 pm

Not always, some peeps just want tho have a big lux car, and waft about like the king of the manor, or what ever the phrase is, also there may be a need to do long distance milage, so a comfy one would b best for your back, your bum and your hearing. However if your needs are more local, short distance and frugal, any thing small will work also, think uno, panda, yaris.
king
Back to top Go down
KingKade
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2012-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Big or small   Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:07 pm

Oh and welcome to the forum....
king
Back to top Go down
EasternBloc
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2013-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Big or small   Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:36 pm

Welcome to the merry band of "Blue Monday" avoiders. We don't have to worry about some Motor Finance company needing their 299 per month (some more, some less) before the end of the longest financial month of the year Wink Hello from across the border in Staffordshire.

Oooo, that could start a good discussion! So much down to personal taste Smile

More learned and established members are on here and you will get some very good advice, I've not been on here long myself. I had to compromise because as having one car, it had to be small enough for the wife to drive and big enough to move stuff, hence a smaller estate. Luckily she is not the sort of lady driver that can't cope with anything bigger than a Ka, (I know some blokes like that as well).

It seems when I've browsed, that small cars are relatively more expensive. For bigger cars there is usually a lot of car for your pound, only because too many people don't want to pay for higher insurance, larger tyres, longer exhausts, not always a parking space on the street big enough, lower fuel economy and so on. . . . . .

I suppose it come down to that fact that by saving so much compared with a new car regularly the cost between a big or small car is really not much. Our current 'banger' was a sort of last minute fill in due to an accident and come March this year it will be four years older. It cost 400 to buy and we have spent less than double that on maintenance & repairs, MOTs, tyres, exhaust etc*. A mate of mine has had two new cars in the same time.
Matiz & Jazz Question K's

I personally would have a large car, having had a couple of company cars few years ago, (406 and Octavia) for the better long distance drive and comfort and space. Out of these two the 406 was just to flaky, weird electrics. Both drove well but the 6 speed box in the Octavia and general more solid build would win it. As all the cars I have owned are older than 2001 they only have the two bands for tax disks 135 or 220. So a bigger (1.6l or more) car is 85 more a year, (or 93.5 for two 6 months) more.

Ttfn,

* The next car I will keep a proper log of the total cost study
Back to top Go down
Joloke
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Big or small   Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:35 am

KingKade wrote:
some peeps just want tho have a big lux car, and waft about like the king of the manor

Or Queen Laughing Laughing Laughing

But seriously you do have to take lots of things into consideration.

Far too many people these days are drawn into the allure of a new car and brainwashed into thinking they are better for the environment and WOW!!

Just 30 or even Free road tax!!

If you consider the horrendous depreciation on a new car,250+ dissapearing from you account every month and hefty insurance bills as you car is worth 10k or whatever then sometimes a 20 year old luxobarge that only does 20mpg might actually cost you less in the long run

Do all the sums

Your Fuel Bill doubles as the car is less economical and your tax may be 200+ per year but you don't have the constant direct debits every month and your car if you get it right will not be depreciating by the second!

If you want a small car there are plenty to choose from that will give fair economy and trouble free motoring choose the car to suit your needs but don't be afraid to go for something a little bigger if the figures stack up Wink

My current car is a Mercedes 190d Automatic

Ok its not a small car but it stacks up Wink

Cost 1200

Tax 220 pale

Insurance 200 Very Happy

Consumption 40mpg Shocked Shocked Shocked

Yes it will do 40mpg all day long and will even quite happily run of waste veg oil bounce

Welcome to the Forum and above all Have Fun bounce bounce bounce

Jodie Smile

macp
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2013-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Big or small   Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:38 am

Thanks all for the welcomes and the responses. I agree with Easternbloc in that small cars do tend to be more money than bigger stuff which is kind of what spurred on this post. By the way Staffs does have some nice places Very Happy
Back to top Go down
EasternBloc
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2013-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Big or small   Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:22 pm

Looks like you and I have got here at the right time!!!

Cheshire is good too! The wife is from Widnes, so I have to say that Wink I also lived in the North East corner for few years.

Enjoy the forum.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big or small   

Back to top Go down

Big or small

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1