View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KingKade
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2012-11-27

PostSubject: 4wd bangers in this snow.   Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:17 am

Anybody out there got a 4x4 or a 4wd car, that they are using in these snowy conditions?

king
Back to top Go down
EasternBloc
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2013-01-08

PostSubject: Not so far   Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:52 pm

I havenít got one, and Iíll be honest I canít warrant one for the type of driving I do Ė you know, kids to dance, shopping, mother-in-laws, my parents etc. So Iíve never really looked.

Your post made me think whatís out here. Iíd imagine due to the current depression there could be a few bargains to be had as folks downsize, or cut back on the number of cars their family have and the like. How does £495 sound for a Kia Sportage (Ď98 Mk1), just had a quick nose on Autotrader, (putting kids to bed now). I bet for a trade sale that could be got down.

I also have to say that some people have 4x4ís and donít seem to know how to drive them. After seeing a couple of recent years models, in the snow, left at the side of the road. Mind you perhaps they park like they have just abandoned their car normally?
Back to top Go down
KingKade
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: 4wd bangers in this snow.   Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:20 pm

Id agree, the 4x4 drivers i see in london are young blonde and 5ft tall and close their eyes when a bus passes them. Parking one of those things for them is a workout of the body and mind. They tend not to go off road kings road.

The kia looks a bargin though! If the extra work doesnt scare you. Never heard of it before!

Will do a bit of autotrader surfing now. study

Fyi. I also browse [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
king
Back to top Go down
EasternBloc
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: 4wd bangers in this snow.   Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:04 am

Iíve just sprayed tea over the monitor laughing....

Yes, been to Car & Classic site a couple of times. I ended up to spending too much time looking around at some great and some not so great cars. Dredging up childhood memories of models that you just don't see on the road, yet all these people have them ferreted away. Just had a quick peek and seen a Daf 33, a guy on our street had one when I was little, just under £3k Shocked

Would Honda CR-V 4x4 2.0i Es í97 100k: £400 on Gumtree be a good snow banger. No idea what a Honda would be like longer term maintenance tho.
Back to top Go down
KingKade
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: 4wd bangers in this snow.   Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:12 pm

I belive the cr-v is a good old banger, i remember james ruppert had an article In his autocar column In one of last years october issues, Along with a rav4.
Although it does have to be said! Snow tyres!!! In snow they are a noticable god send! Every other Country that can actually cope with snow either swear by them or they are the law in snow! In this country it seems a sprinkling of snow , cars go everywhere and people are surprised with increased accidents and getting stuck...then complain, and complain... They should sort out their car..
To prove my point a car has just slid into a lamp post outside my flat as i was writing this... I'll take a photo...and now hes spinning his back tyres, hes stuck... Rwd bmw!
king

Back to top Go down
EasternBloc
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: 4wd bangers in this snow.   Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:49 pm

You're right.

Walking to school this morning. A car started slipping, so more gas; "oh I'm slipping I must use more gas". Slipping more; "I need to floor it". Stationary, I can imagine Scooty 'the engines cannae take it'....

I kept the wheels off the last car and I've been wearing out the tyres, (waste not want not Wink ). I want to put winter tyres on, but ironically that wont be till after this bout of snow - DOH.

Is the BMW dug in now?

Back to top Go down
KingKade
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: 4wd bangers in this snow.   Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:55 pm

I went all shy!
Went out and the bmw driver was so pissed of i refrained from taking a photo! I thought the flash might set him off!!!
Embarassed king
Back to top Go down
D7
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: 4wd bangers in this snow.   Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:01 pm

It never ceases to amaze me how clueless some people are when driving in the snow I must admit.

Pet hates include:

People who clear just the windows and don't think about clearing their bonnet/roof/boot(on saloons). Cheers for that mate, just because you're a lazy sod I'm now being showered by all your snow. Not to mention the risk of the snow slipping off the roof straight onto their windscreen so they have to slam the brakes on because they can't see anything!

Equally annoying - people who clear a small circle in front of them on the windscreen but leave the rest of the windscreen covered in snow??

People who, as mentioned, get stuck and just flog their accelerator. I must admit sometimes its justified - I got my dads Omega V6 Auto stuck the other day, I was changing between drive and reverse to try and rock it out, got it in drive and it started moving so I put some power down, it started to dig down but was starting to slide out (it was parked at the side of the road and I wanted it in the tracks to start driving) so I just kept the power down and slid sideways to where I wanted to be.
Driving along a road and sliding though, then no, need to be more gentle.

Couple of times this week I've been driving along to see a car veering crazily on my left - they have got to the junction of their sideroad, waited too late to brake and their front end has ended up right where I need to be, poking out over their white line into my lane on a major road - cue a heavy handed emergency stop. Indeed being in cars with my mates (I'm 23 and my mates all around the same age) there has been no use of changing down through the gears and feathering the brakes if need be. I was taught to drive by my dad (now 68) using old school methods. But no, seems common practice is to brake late, wheels lock up, where you gonna go?

Given the above though, I don't think it makes much difference what car you drive, 4x4 or not? Since I started driving at 17 I have never had a problem with the snow and indeed I've NEVER missed a day at work because of the snow (even when I worked 40 miles away and had some pretty horrendous back roads to attend to). I think snow tyres should be compulsory in this weather. The only car I've ever struggled with in the snow was my 56 reg Vectra, but that was down to the Falken ZE912 tyres I had fitted, they were more of a summer tyre and got no grip at all on snow and ice, had winter tyres been fitted it would have been fine.
Fair enough some cars will perform better than others but a lot of it is down to driver error when people get stuck I think. One thing I have noticed is people in FWD cars who want to turn around, drive forwards into a farm entrance etc then cant get out, they don't think that if they reversed in their drive wheels would be on clear tarmac and would allow them to get grip to pull out, etc.

When I get my alloys on the E30 I will be getting some snow tyres on the steels and putting them in the garage for next year.
Back to top Go down
TechSupport
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2013-01-25

PostSubject: Re: 4wd bangers in this snow.   Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:39 pm

KingKade wrote:
Anybody out there got a 4x4 or a 4wd car, that they are using in these snowy conditions?

king

Yes! This is my 20 year old Pajero which was imported from Japan 9 years ago which I use most days, to date I haven't had any issues with it except the overdrive which is a story I'll tell you later when the forum has been transformed. Sorry this picture is one from the summer but I'll try and take one today if you want.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
macp
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2013-01-22

PostSubject: Re: 4wd bangers in this snow.   Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:42 pm

A lot of guys I know from my age group are comfortable driving in snow & ice. This is because we used to muck about a bit and make the car slide and learn to correct it just for fun and it helped us in later life. I couldnt give a monkeys how much snow there is Very Happy

Sorry a little off topic.
Back to top Go down
EasternBloc
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: 4wd bangers in this snow.   Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:52 pm

I really don't know much about 4x4s. But a guy the daughter's nursery a couple+ years go was just in the throws for selling his. I'm sure he said it had a 3.5L lump and it was just a bit to thirsty for their liking. To be honest he said most of their driving was around town so it probably never go used properly. I guess he liked it when it did now though!

And D7, yes you are so right. Particularly the front wheels in snow / ice / slush puppie combo and the rear on a clear road Exclamation
I have to say I never let the snow stop me going to work either. Except once a few years ago, as I was on earlies I went on the bicycle just for a change. Most of the route I was the first thing down the lanes. There had been around 4 - 6 inches, it had been blowing a bit a bit so I thought I'd leave the car at home, (it was 12 miles).

Smile
Back to top Go down
ventorafred
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: 4wd bangers in this snow.   Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:46 pm

Bit late in repling to this thread
too many threads and posts to be reading on here right now!!

Heres Snow beast pic (again!!)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

and macp
''A lot of guys I know from my age group are comfortable driving in snow & ice. This is because we used to muck about a bit and make the car slide and learn to correct it just for fun and it helped us in later life.''

So right there mate, back when I was 17 I had a Vauxhall Victor FE 2300, and spent many
a happy hour honing my skills at the Scandinavian flick in a foot O snow, most of
the young sorts only had rear wheel drive motors then :Co:
Back to top Go down
badshot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2009-06-06

PostSubject: Re: 4wd bangers in this snow.   Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:59 am

Get yourself a decent pair of winter M+S tyre's on steels, they are a lot safer in the colder months say Oct-Mar then change over the the alloys and regular rubber for the summer / rainy months.

Ive been doing it for years and it makes the tyre's last longer in my opinion and the winter tyre's make very light work of the snow, especially if you have a front wheel drive diesel car.

I normally treat the family to a cheap self drive ski holiday every year and the road up to the resort is a very steep switchback where you normally have everyone chaining up!

I've even had to go round a brand new Volvo XC90 up the hill as all four of his wheels were spinning up the hill!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4wd bangers in this snow.   

Back to top Go down

4wd bangers in this snow.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1