HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | .

Merc update, couple of questions and Merry Christmas!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
photoluka
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2012-11-21

PostSubject: Merc update, couple of questions and Merry Christmas!   Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:41 am

An update on my 1000 1998 Merc C200 Auto:

Well things are going ok generally. Clocked up a 1000 miles extra on its 145k miles. It's had new front brake pads, two new tyres, mountings fixed on the exhaust (the exhaust is perfect though).

The auto transmission remains a problem - shift selector not always finding and lightin up'D'. Found that it was leaking ATF and had no seal. This has been fixed now and the ATF changed over twice now but still issues. I don't think its anything to do with the seclector unit as after the cars warmed up it finds the gear fine. I just tend to drive it as a manual for the first 10-15 mins then it seems to behave itself.

Not sure if I should see if the new ATF gradually improves it or get my friendly mechanic to investigate further? However sticking to bangernomics theory I think i've spent enough for now for potential major gearbox investigations. Anyone have any thoughts what it could be?!

The only other major problem is that the water pump is getting noisy/grinding especially when in D or R. No leaks at the mo so might just keep an eye on this. I might have a go at this in the new year myself though. I do need to invest in the tools though and good do with some jack stands if i'm going to drain the coolant. So initally probably more expensive than taking to my mechanic probably. Also I can only seem to find the water pump online but no gasket to go with it (in the UK)?

Other than that nicest car I've had to drive!

Wishing you all (if anyone is reading this as so far I think its me and two others!) Merry Christmas

Luka
Back to top Go down
Joloke
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Merc update, couple of questions and Merry Christmas!   Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:24 am

Hi Luka

I am no expert by any mean but my 190 engages strange when its cold but its as good as gold when its warm Wink

I was really worried at first but i have a fleet car that's automatic and that's just 18 months old and its a tad jerky when cold Rolling Eyes

If you had serious issues i think it wouldn't select gears at all the fact you say it does when warm suggests the transmission is at heart OK and you possibly have a niggle somewhere?

Could be a blocked or sticky valve in the valve body of the transmission that's freeing itself up once the fluid warms up and free's it off Rolling Eyes

Just a thought,hope you get it sorted and hope you have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

photoluka
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Merc Update   Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:53 pm

Well, 1700 miles on and my '98 C Class Merc Estate is doing well. Over 146k on it now. I gave it a good clean and polish this afternoon, must get some pics up tomorrow.

The only 'problems' remaining are the autobox. New fluid hasn't solved it and it still nudging between D and 4 to to work but once it's there its fine. Also once she's warmed up its fine regardless. The water pump is also rattly when in gear and stationery, but again no leaks so no fiddling I reckon?

I don't think theres any point paying out to look at if further - drives fine.

I'm really enjoying the car. The MOT is due in Feb and hopefully it will get throgh ok, apart from some tyres hopefully. Theres some clunking when wheels is at full turn and driving slowly, bushes hopefully

My dilemma (age old) I suppose is if it doesnt is how much I should spend if it doesn't. My mechanical skills are limited.
Again if it does get through (age old question!) I keep wondering how long I should carry on with it. Being my first "banger" I think I've got the bug and keep looking at other cars! Im doing 50 miles a day, 5 days a week in it.

I suppose the best idea is keep going with it untill something major happens and then sell for spares and repairs which I'll probably still getting something decent for on Ebay.

What's everyones elses thoughts on this?!
Back to top Go down
TechSupport
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2013-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Merc update, couple of questions and Merry Christmas!   Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:16 pm

I've moved this new topic here to keep it in some order.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
photoluka
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Merc update, couple of questions and Merry Christmas!   Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:50 pm

bump!

Back to top Go down
TechSupport
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Merc update, couple of questions and Merry Christmas!   Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:59 pm

I don't know to much about these but does the Merc have a temp sensor for the gearbox?

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
photoluka
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Merc update, couple of questions and Merry Christmas!   Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:02 pm

No idea- whatever it is I think its going to be expensive so I don't think I'm going to interfere as she seems happy.

Think the water pump will need doing soon as it's rattly - no leaks yet though!

Back to top Go down
TechSupport
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Merc update, couple of questions and Merry Christmas!   Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:06 pm

I only asked because temp sensors can create loads of issues with Auto boxes especially if its a Tiptronic box, but as you say if running acceptably then leave it alone but keep an eye on the pump. Seenothing

Back to top Go down
photoluka
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Merc Update: MOT!   Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:26 pm

Well the Merc went in for it's MOT and although expensive I'm quite pleased

Fail and advisory on front tyres - both changed. Write off as consumables
Side indicators wrong colour bulbs apparently - simple change
Exhaust emissions - new lamdba sensor needed
Wiper blade - simples

One advisory on small exhaust leak which they are patching up for me.

So although expensive due to tyres, labour, VAT quite pleased really - No major fails

So hopefully I'll get a decent stretch of trouble free motoring now Seenothing just an oil change in couple of 1k hopefully!

Not to bad for a 1997 Merc now 147,000 miles!

Back to top Go down
TechSupport
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Merc update, couple of questions and Merry Christmas!   Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:33 pm

Clap Weldone and as you say not bad at all considering the year.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Merc update, couple of questions and Merry Christmas!   

Back to top Go down

Merc update, couple of questions and Merry Christmas!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1