View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
stormcoat
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-11-29

PostSubject: New member introduction   Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:37 pm

I am known as "Stormcoat" on more than one website. I chose the name because of my long history of motorcycling which goes back to the age of the "family motorcycle", huge sidecar laden with buckets, spades, luggage and children, Mum on the back and Dad drivingi, dressed in an ex Army stormcoat and waders, pipe firmly clenched in his teeth with enough tobacco in it to last until they got to Clacton, Southend or Blackpool.

I have always had to do at least some of the maintenance on our cars, but, like most other members, I dare say, I am finding that the equipment I have, which was adequate for the pre electronic models, is just not up to CanBus fitted vehicles, like our Citroen.

(CANBUS, for those not familiar with modern high tech jargon, is the integrated computer system that many vehicles today are equipped with, which manages most systems on board, links them together and diagnoses problems that can be read off on a Lexia computer system by a garage mechanic. It also gives warning messages to the driver, not all of them entirely accurate or truthful. It can also, as many drivers will have experienced, take over control and slow or even stop the vehicle, if it considers there to be sufficient risk, such as an overheating problem.)

I am supportive of the principle that running older vehicles can actually be less demanding on unrenewable resources, and thereby "greener", than taking them to the scrap yard for energy greedy recycling. This is especially appropriate as a "Green" strategy for the low mileage and occasional use motorist, who would be responsible enough to walk or cycle when the car was not really needed.

Our government has chosen not to extend the "Historic Vehicle" privilege to vehicles later than 1973 but, instead, has encouraged increased production of new cars, albeit very efficient on fuel. Now, they are faced with having to recover the money spent on that latter concession. I do not wish to provoke an argument over this topic, but I am sure that there will be some of the Banger fraternity out there who will sympathise with the view that it might have been wiser to have extended the former, old vehicle concession and limited the latter to just the very small and economic cars.

Old cars can be made more efficient by reconditioning and by modification, providing more local jobs instead of giving it all away to overseas competitors. How many times have we been told this? How many of you will agree? Lots, I should think!
Back to top Go down
Joloke
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: New member introduction   Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:52 pm

Hi Stormcoat and Welcome to the Forum Smile

It can get a bit quiet in here at times but its starting to pick up again Wink

I have to say i agree with your sentiments i myself run a new car on a bottomless pit lease Rolling Eyes

But i think once this lease is up i am steering clear of new cars Rolling Eyes

The powers that be seem to be conveniently steering us towards new cars by making owning an old one harder Rolling Eyes

Ive just started to run an old Mercedes too,Ok its 20 years old but it drives beautifully but my tax is 130 more expensive per year because i choose to run a old car Twisted Evil

I think they think doing this will discourage us?

Lets look at the facts?

My yearly tax though expensive is less than 1 months lease payment Wink

I payed 2k deposit to lease the brand new car but payed 800 less to own the Mercedes outright Wink

My insurance on the Mercedes is a third less and its nearly as economical.

Yes there will be repairs but some years you will pay out others you wont bounce

Your idea of refurbishing older cars and fitting new engines etc is no different to train operators refurbishing 30 year old HST locos Wink

The powers that be think that's a good idea but frown upon those that want to keep older cars on the road.

I don't know if it anything to do with age but after hitting 40 i don't care for new shiny things anymore Laughing Laughing Laughing

Jodie Smile

Ian_Fearn
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: New member introduction   Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:22 pm

I've been away from here for sometime, I had hoped the forum would pick up speed as its a great topic, particularly in today's cash conscious times.

For what its worth, and i've been running older cars now for 10+ years I reckon within reason you shouldn't discount many older cars providing the car is 'correct' in every way.

The real secret is to look for low mileage, 1 owner cars that have been cherished. They do exist but rarely on a dealers forecourt.

For example, a 1995 Cavalier 1.8 with 30k-50k on the clock with one owner and full history could be yours for 750. Thats amazing value but ZERO street cred. You could potentially run the thing for 5 years with minimal cost aside from the basics and still sell it at the end.
Also consider that a set of tyres for a 1.8 cavalier will be beer money, as will most other parts and labour will be cheap because these things are dead easy to work on.

I've recently picked up part worn tyres for my budget fun car, a Ford Puma 1.7 from a hugely friendly Russian chap in Stapleford, Notts. Pirelli P6000's for 22 fitted and balanced, they were hardly used. He imports from Germany every 2 weeks. Proper Bangernomics!

I like the concept of German cars (Jodie, LOVE the 190!), genuinely built well and last but they're not immune from problems just like anything else. I'm a huge lover of French cars but i'd never recommend one as they're more often than not a sod to work on. The C5 is a dirt cheap mile muncher and again, they're great until they go wrong. At that point i'd wished i'd bought a Toyota Carina E.

Avoid K series Rover engines, they're great when they work but you dont want to be the sucker that the problems occur with.

I tend to avoid diesels now too, especially Renaults, Vauxhall, Fiat, Alfa Romeo. The modern stuff is asking for trouble. Failing EGR's causing turbo failure and the engine running on its own oil is scary stuff. Dual mass flywheels, diesel particulate filters etc etc. All junk WE dont need and costs us where it hurts the most!

Remember, gadgets are not cool when they dont work Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New member introduction   

Back to top Go down

New member introduction

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1