View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
stormcoat
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-11-29

PostSubject: Citroen c5 2.2hdi   Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:00 pm

We have been running a Citroen C5, 02 reg, for over a year now. We like it very much as it is supremely comfortable and has enormous load space. Ita is also a very stable and powerful towcar. However, since then, my wife has bought a more recent Renault Clio, which, since we have changed our caravan for a lighter one, is also very suitable for towing. We would like to retain the old Citroen as a second car, on Banger principles, but, having looked through its service history, appears to be a very expensive vehicle to keep alive. I have been able to get some work done on it and have worked on it myself, to change the DPF, but possible future repairs do not promise to be in keeping with Banger prices.

Would I be foolish to ditch this car or silly to keep it, given its high tax and insurance bracket? We do not need such big car, so size is not an issue.

Informed opinions would be very welcome.
Back to top Go down
badshot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2009-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Citroen c5 2.2hdi   Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:05 pm

Keep the C5 dump the Clio, Renault are horrendous to fix! Headbang

c5alan
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Citroen c5 2.2hdi   Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:24 pm

keep the c5 they can do huge miles but from what I have heard the 2.2 is quite thirsty but they do run on biodiesel so that would help and it will be a better tow car than a clio. Are you sure the clio is able to tow the van I mean weight wise you aint over loading it with a van on the back?

2003 Citroen C5 HDI Exclusive only 218,000 miles on her so just about run in now family owned from new SOLD
1997 fourtrak SOLD thanks goodness complete death trap
2002 Renault Megane Scenic 1.9 DCI 112,000 miles soon to be on biodiesel
Back to top Go down
badshot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2009-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Citroen c5 2.2hdi   Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:57 pm

I cant see how a clio can tow anything, please correct me on this Thanks

stormcoat
Infant
Infant

PostSubject: RENAULT CLIO   Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:54 pm

Surprisingly, the Clio is well within the weight parameters to tow our latest van, which weighs in at just on 1000kg mtplm (ie fully laden). We towed our last van, which was 1300kg, with a Renault Megane Scenic, with the same engine, 1500 diesel, with no power shortage. However, the big Citroen is much more stable. My main concern with the C5 is keeping up with the maintenance. Everything involves using a Lexia to diagnose faults and there is so much equipment to keep in order. Even the heater plugs are not accessible without dismantling a plethora of pipe work. If they get stuck in the head, then the engine has to come out, as there is no room to operate the extraction tool, or to have clear line of vision without a webcam.
I am not convinced that Renaults are any better or worse for maintenance, having worked on our previous Clio, but there is simply less of it and all the fuel, tax and insurance savings amount to enough to pay for difficult jobs done by a local independent garage. We would not need to invest in our own test gear, which, at the prices we would want to pay, are not likely to be all that reliable in the first place.

Furthermore, the Clio is my wife's car. If money is really tight, I still have a Ukranian motor bike which can be overhauled with a large hammer and a few old spanners.

There are few, if any, post 2000 cars which employ such rudimentary, if inefficient, technology as the Soviet era motorcycles. It remains to be seen if this year's new models will pass into fifth and above ownership, after fifteen years or be prematurely scrapped for being beyond economic repair.
Back to top Go down
macp
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2013-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Citroen c5 2.2hdi   Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:00 pm

Renaults worry me in fact ive never owned one but a number of friends have with awful consequences and put me right off them. I do like the look of them and have driven a few. My old boss always used to have 25`s & Safranes and they were fast and comfy. To be fair I think the older stuff was better than the newer stuff.
Back to top Go down
c5alan
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Citroen c5 2.2hdi   Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:13 pm

Lexia wise if you go to the frenchcarforum there are lots of people who have a lexia copy who are happy to give your car a once over for free or beers or a couple of quid. If you prefer the c5 for towing maybe just run it for six months over the summer keeps costs down maintenance would be cut down

2003 Citroen C5 HDI Exclusive only 218,000 miles on her so just about run in now family owned from new SOLD
Back to top Go down
stormcoat
Infant
Infant

PostSubject: More C5   Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:32 pm

Thanks for all your replies.
C5 alan,do you maintain the C5 yourself or have you a trusted independent garage? What would you estimate your yearly maintenance costs to be?
Back to top Go down
c5alan
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Citroen c5 2.2hdi   Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:59 am

I try to do most of the work myself. I would say over the last 14 months and 24k miles since I got her. Would guess I've spent about 700 on her.

80 new heater relay I fitted
200 mot brake pads, 2 front drop links wipers and a bulb
45 indicator stalk
50 service oil, oil filter, air filter
50 check for odd tyre wear and fit track rod end garage
40 rear suspension boot
90 new battery
60 tyres
80 2 doors after a minor bump
20 bio diesel mod

Some of the aren't service items and I bought better than I needed like the batt but wanted the stronger one as I'm sure the thicker bio was killing the older and almost dead batt on start up it wasn't dead but wasn't far off acording to halfords it was running at 40% so still had some life just stuggling a bit. Mot I would have done the work myself but dropped her off expecting a pass and went on holiday for a week and told them if less than 250 just fix it as I have been using them for years and trust them and they get plenty of work as I recomrnd them to mmy work mates st pizzahut to service and mot there cars. Sorry gone off track but hope its some help

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Citroen c5 2.2hdi   

Back to top Go down

Citroen c5 2.2hdi

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1