Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
joshwa
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Fast banger cars?   Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:39 pm

The great thing about buying bangers, it being able to afford fast(ish) cars...

so what would you consider a great fast banger?

Some that I can think of:

Rover 200 BRM (~143 bhp)
Nissan Almera GTI (~143bhp)
Fiat Bravo HGT (~145bhp)
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshwaller.co.uk
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Fastest   Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:44 pm

I haven't checked but Rovamota will say the 200 BRM and he may well be right. The Nissan won't break down, whilst the Fiat is probably the best car to drive....J
Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com
Rovamota
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Fast banger cars?   Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:49 pm

Back in 1998 Top Gear magazine did a giant test of 12 of the hot hatches available at that time, and the three cars you mention were all included in that test. Twelfth (last) in the test came the Almera, mainly beacuse they thought it was extremely dull (which, frankly, it is). Tenth came the Rover 200 BRM, mainly because they thought it looked ridiculous and was overpriced, recommending instead the less-but-more Rover 200vi.

Eight came the Fiat Bravo HGT, great 5-cylinder engine and a good all rounder. Most of the other cars in that test can now be had a for a few hundred quid, sans the Audi 1.8T, VW Golf GTi (default choice for people with no ambition) and BMW 318ti.

If you want a choice between those 3 you mention I would have to say the BRM; prices will steadily rise as it becomes rarer and it's about a sorted as you can get for the money, really. Only downside is a tendency to blow head gaskets but treat it with care and you'll be rewarded. In any caes, most have already been sorted with a new uprated head gasket anyway.

But if you want reliability it has to be the Almera, but no one will notice you and the same goes for the Bravo, but less reliably.

In fact, I'd like to see a back to back test of 8-10 year old hot hatches to see which has stood the test of time. How about these for a gathering of limited editions, which were all launched around the same time:

Honda Civic Jordan
Renault Clio Williams
Rover 200 BRM
Ford Puma Racing

Anyone think of any more?

Kev.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Hot hatches   Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:36 pm

Confirmation that Kev should be working in the magazine business. obscurely there was a Toyota Corolla 1.6 G6R, which had 6 speeds of course...I loved the old Seat Ibiza 2.0 GTi much better than the Golf and another early 6 speeder was the Pug 306 GTi-6 and you've got early Saxo VTR/S and then there was the Alfa 145...as for special editions I go blank these days...J
Back to top Go down
Rovamota
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Fast banger cars?   Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:01 pm

I couldn't recommend a Saxo or 106GTi, they're just too flimsy and any early ones that survive now should be approached with caution. Alfa 146 Cloverleaf is a nice one, once again blighted by gimcrack build quality.

Funny how 10 years ago 150bhp was the norm for a hatch. Now anything less than 200bhp is considered limp! Mind you, back in 1992 Rover launched the 220 Turbo Coupe and it was the cheapest 150mph car you could buy; it trounced everything. Where did it all go wrong?

In fact, a Rover 200 Coupe is a now a very classy choice of sports classic these days, and values are steady, if not rising.

Kev.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Hatches   Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:12 pm

Agreed Kev on the French and Italian car front....a decade old Saxo must be a sight to behold if repeatedly Maxed and trashed. The SEAT should be OK but you just don't see many around. I agree that for the long term the 200BRM is on the up...J
Back to top Go down
Rovamota
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Fast banger cars?   Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:15 pm

I think a less popular hot hatch is probably a good buy as they're much less likely to have been Max'd, even by the minimal addition of those awful lexus style rear lights that are popular with Chavs. So that basically means anything without a VW, BMW, Citroen or Vauxhall badge on it.

Kev.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: hatches   Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:31 pm

Yes you have it one there....completely off topic I was talking to a friend the other day about decade old cool diesels of which they aren't too many, allthough a Golf Mk2 burning oil is and there was a GTD for Europe only...J
Back to top Go down
MilfordHaven
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Fast banger cars?   Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:09 pm

I've seen a few RHD, UK market GTDs, there's one in my village.

Rover 620Ti or 800 Vitesse for ultimate BHP per .
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: CLTurbo   Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:04 pm

Brain fade as it was the CL Turbo then rebadged, but you still saw millions in Europe and just a handful here. Good shout on the rapid Rovers...
Back to top Go down
Rovamota
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Fast banger cars?   Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:48 pm

Yes, a good 620ti will give you some serious bang for your buck and they're quite hardy, too. The 2.0 T-Series engine will take loads of abuse if it's properly maintained. Of course, if you want to be cosseted whilst you're going fast then the 820 Vitesse Coupe offers a lot of class for the money, again, the 2.0 T-Series engine is a great choice in that car and much better than the fingers crossed reliabilty of the KV6 2.5.

Kev.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Fast Bangers   Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:44 pm

THanks for the expert view on that Kev...J
Back to top Go down
ibennion
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Fast banger cars?   Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:05 am

My son in law bought a mitsubishi colt 1.6 18months ago. Although it is very small inside, 2+2 really, it is quick and has never missed a beat. All in all a cracking little car.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Fast Bangers   Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:09 am

Yes Mitsubishis are fantastically reliable too, so that's a great buy...
Back to top Go down
ibennion
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Fast banger cars?   Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:37 pm

Has anyone ever had a Honda Civic 1.5 vtec? How do they rate for driving and longevity?
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Honda   Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Yes I have come across quite a few and found them to be very reliable, the engines are brilliant, but parts can be pricey...wonder what anyone else thinks...J
Back to top Go down
StuartM
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Fast banger cars?   Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:15 pm

I'll give a vote to the VW Scirocco. Basically has most of the economical advantages of a Mk1/2 Golf, but with a sexy body, pretty good performance, 40mpg and most importantly of all, it feels like a proper sports coupe to sit in, rather than a shopping car with a slopey roofline and a picnic table stuck on the back.

They are stupidly cheap, costing much less than a equivalent Golf GTi, and have massive luggage space for such a small car.

I've had my GT2 for 9 years now, just insured it again for 138 fully comp on a classic policy.

500 will get you a good one, 1000 will bag a minter.

And if you find a GTX 16v, buy it!
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Scirocco   Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:18 am

I have a lot of time for the Scirocco and wrote something in Autocar about how good it was and the new one wasn't going to be so accessible...
Back to top Go down
r.welfare
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Fast banger cars?   Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:50 am

The turbo'd Rovers are a good shout - the ultimate "sleepers" must be the 220 and 420 GSi turbos, though. Can't be many left.

How about a 3-litre Omega (or Senator/Carlton), Scorpio 24v (watch the autobox though), Vento VR6 (again, if you can find one!), or Cavalier/Mondeo V6s?

The Vauxhall 2.5/3-litre V6 can suffer badly if not maintained properly - cambelts and tensioners must be done, religiously, every 36k. Not too tricky in the Omega because it's a longitudinal engine - you can almost get in there with it once you've removed all the air trunking at the front of the bay!

Mondeo V6 is very cheap these days (Mk1), not sure I'd like to work on one though. The engine bay is hugely crammed and the OE-spec water pump has a plastic impellor (!) which comes off over time, leading to blown-head-gasket-type symptoms.

How's about an early Primera GT? 150bhp and a relatively light shell, for the size, plus great handling. Given my 405 bias, I'm also going to suggest an Mi16 or Le Mans, but finding a good one would be tricky.

I think the best fast banger I ever drove was a Mk2 Jetta GTI 16v. It was my local garage's courtesy car, faded Tornado Red (of course) but beautifully maintained. I actually negotiated to buy it, only for the next person to borrow it to put it through a hedge and on it's roof, before I could get there with the cash...
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Your stuf   Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:21 am

yes you know your stuff Peter and the bigger engined cars are getting cheaper by the day....Love the Omegas tooo.
Back to top Go down
NerveJam
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2007-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Fast banger cars?   Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:36 am

I was lent a Honda Accord VTEC by my previous employer, for a long-ish trip. (Middlesbrough to Chester and back, I think.) (Normally I'd have got a Vectra. Boring, but competent).
Anyhow, I found the Accord to be totally gutless unless I revved it's arse off, and then it took off like a scalded cat. I thought there was something wrong with it, but apparently that's what they do.
It's not for me.

Last edited by NerveJam on Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NerveJam
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2007-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Fast banger cars?   Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:37 am

I was lent a Honda Accord VTEC by my previous employer, for a long-ish trip. (Middlesbrough to Chester and back, I think.) (Normally I'd have got a Vectra. Boring, but competent).
Anyhow, I found the Accord to be totally gutless unless I revved it's arse off, and then it took off like a scalded cat. I thought there was something wrong with it, but apparently that's what they do.
It's not for me.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Busy   Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:43 am

You are busy today NerveJam at least I am still alive, Hondas still comfy and well built and ultra reliable....J
Back to top Go down
jerrytee
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Fast banger cars?   Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:54 pm

Toyota Soarer GT very fast, and you can pick them up for silly money, Toyota build quality and a 32 valve quadcam V8.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Soarer   Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:59 pm

Yes I love those, especially rebadged as lexuseseses
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fast banger cars?