AuthorMessage
SuperShuma
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Korean Dream   Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:10 pm

Banger newbie here,
After 4 years of owning a lovely Fiat Grande Punto Sporting T-Jet that i purchased new (9250!) 4 years and 60k trouble free miles its only trading at 3500 Sad

I had to sell it as it wasn't big enough and due to a change of jobs, new house, growing family etc. It also seemed wasted doing a 70 mile motorway slog everyday (previous job down the end of a country lane! great fun).

Anyways,
short version of my story, needed a larger car, and wanted to take depreciation out of the equation as it occured to me that the depreciation the Fiat was costing me every year was a decent week in Las Vegas! (but you all knew that!)

So after a few days on eBay, freeads i ended up having a cheeky bid on a W Reg Kia Shuma. 36k miles, some service history but overall a fairly honest car. 300 changed hands and i drove it straight to my garage, MOT'd it needed a new NSR wheel cylinder and a handbrake adjustment thus costing another 110. Only slight niggles are a rattle from the exhaust heat shield and a dodgy tyre on the front (looks like it got a flat and they have put the crummy spare on!)

So i have now covered 1500 miles and its been great except it blew a fuse on the interior blower. I am led to believe its a Mazda engine and gearbox and thus i am confident it will be fairly robust! i will be servicing it myself and doing any repairs i can.

So i am kindly requesting some tips!
The engine seems to idle high, my Punto sat at 600 revs the Kia was at 2000! i cleaned the idle control valve and it settled down to 1500?? still high but this may be normal?

spare wheel is flat Sad shall i get it repaired if its repairable or save weight and ditch in favour of a can of goo?

and finally! Oil grades! i have loads of old oil in the garage, 5W 40 from my punto and some really really old 15w 30. can i just stick these in? or shall i use the proper grade Kia suggest?

SupaShuma
Back to top Go down
quirkycars
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Korean Dream   Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:47 am

OIL: If you intend to use the car, don't skimp. Use the correct grade oil, and change it regularly. Change the filter as well..
This is one of the main killers of banger engines..

You say you drove it home? I hope it was taxed and tested, and you transferred the insurance BEFORE you did that?
ANPR is everywhere!

Back to top Go down
SuperShuma
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Korean Dream   Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:28 pm

UPDATE!

6 Months on an 10k miles and there are no issues so far, mileage now showing 47k
i replaced the crummy tyre (22) and serviced it myself (using the 5W40 from my old punto).

I think the drop links could do with replacing over bumps its a bit rattly when cold but stops when warm? and the electric aerial still doesn't work so no radio!

Idle still seems high and i suspect it might need a new MAF but don't see the point as it spends 95% of its time doing 70mph!

[quote="quirkycars"]OIL: If you intend to use the car, don't skimp. Use the correct grade oil, and change it regularly. Change the filter as well..
This is one of the main killers of banger engines..

You say you drove it home? I hope it was taxed and tested, and you transferred the insurance BEFORE you did that?
ANPR is everywhere!

It had 2 days MOT left and i was insured when i picked it up! I actually picked the car up while i was 200 miles away on holiday so had to drive it 200 miles back home so there was no chance i was gonna risk anything!
Back to top Go down
OldToot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2010-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Korean Dream   Mon May 28, 2012 11:12 am

How's it going now?

I've just (sort of) done the opposite - gone from a big car (a banger) to a small/medium car (also a banger).

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Korean Dream   

Back to top Go down

Korean Dream

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1