jaycey001
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-06-08

PostSubject: Piston slap on Volvo 740.    Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:04 pm

Hello all

Great site! been lurking for a while.

Ive got a 1988 volvo 740 estate, only cost me 350 and is in good condition. I brought it as my winter car while my sherpa is off the road over winter. Only issue is that the 740 has piston slap, it also need new front pads and a bit of general tinkering.
Now i dont know wether to trade it in and get a Daihatsu sirrion or a micra or get the brakes done on the 740 and just drive it until it dies. what would your views be? is this piston slap going to see the motor self distruct in middle of rush hour?

Fuel costs are a concern but ive never had an economical car in the past so not to much of a worry.

Just for info my previous cars have been: Mazda 323 auto cost 200, Volvo 850 auto estate, cost 330. My current pride and joy, A 1984 freight rover sherpa auto, which i have spent more on than it will ever be worth so definatly a keeper. And now the 740.

As you can see, i only drive Autos so it does limit my banger options a bit.

Thanks in advance
James
Back to top Go down
nobbynoshame
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Piston slap on Volvo 740.    Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:59 pm

go on forever like that... and an engine on them is a piece of cake to change anyway. My last 740 did 300k and was still going on the original lump slap and all when I got rid of it s just had a few oil leaks!
Back to top Go down
RockDad
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2007-12-20

PostSubject: RE: Piston slap on Volvo 740   Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:44 pm

You asked, "is this piston slap going to see the motor self distruct in middle of rush hour?"

Unlikely if the 740 has the old B230F engine, this engine was shared by the 264 and was last fitted in the 740 estate 1990 base model (at least in the UK). These engines were built to much finer tolerances than almost anything else of their era and will run for ever, given any sort of servicing, = oil!

The 740 1990 base model estate is the last super simple car no electronics: ECU or electric windows etc, and is heavily recommended grab one if you fancy a reliable motor.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Piston slap on Volvo 740.    

Back to top Go down

Piston slap on Volvo 740.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1