HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | .

Applying Bangernomics Idea to your life in general?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joloke
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Applying Bangernomics Idea to your life in general?   Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:36 pm

The last few days ive been searching online for websites where people use the same sort of "bangernomics" spirit in everything they buy and they way they live but alas ive drawn a blank Sad

This got me wondering how many here use the same princibles in their general lifestyle?
Ive began to question my ownn actions lately i think im getting to that age where im not soo feckle anymore but i have just made a small mistake to the tune of 1k i bought a Computer Rolling Eyes

I do figure though ill keep it and run it into the ground Wink

So do any of the members here live a total bangernomics lifestyle?

Im as guilty as the next for Updating things that dont really need updating at all Rolling Eyes

I know its often said that when you follow to bangernomics code with cars we can often end up driving executive cars we could normally never afford Wink

I started to look at other things in life and thought you could furnish your home with second hand high end goods Very Happy

You could have all the things you could ever need in life if you say to hell with keeping up with the jones,a Mercedes Jag or Audi on the driveway,House full of the best furniture,Top of the range Televisions,Computers etc from the best manufacturers just older Models Wink

I remember my landlord at one of my lodgings several years ago buying a Bang and Olofsen TV for just 20 it came complete with the original receipt for over 1k Shocked to the best of my knowledge he still has it now and though its a CRT its modern design makes it look not much thicker than a modern LCD TV Very Happy

Anyway thats the general idea so is anybody on here tightfisted with their whole lifestyle?

and can anybody point me in the right direction of sites of like minded people?

Jodie Smile
Back to top Go down
betterthanwalking
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2009-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Applying Bangernomics Idea to your life in general?   Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:37 pm

I did this once, i remember seeing as a kid, back in the 80's, a high-end TV called a Sony Profeel, i, being a bit of a tech-head, instantly wanted one, one snag being that in 1985 it was 1k+ of very expensive TV. I never gave up hope on getting one though and Fast Forward to 2008, i managed to get one, with it's rare stand and teletext decoder Laughing in pristine nick from ebay for 50.

The only problem was it took two blokes to carry it and on one house move i had to give it away via freecycle Sad

But i live my life Bangernomically, i will always try to find stuff for free or cheap, i had to explain to someone selling me house contents insurance once that the sum total of goods in my flat is less than 500 and i don't know whether that's a achievement or not!

People "keeping up with the Joneses" does mean there's bargains to be had out there though!
Back to top Go down
OldToot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2010-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Applying Bangernomics Idea to your life in general?   Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:51 pm

It's not bangernomics, but I'm definitely trying to cut down on excessive spending.

I used to but Car magazine, but now I have a filing cabinet just to keep them in, for example. I'd much rather have spent the money on a really nice lens for my camera, which would still be worth something, still be useful, and take up much less space.

We're moving this year, and I'm determined that all my personal effects (i.e not furniture or appliances) will fit in the back of the car by then.

That said I'm typing this on a MacBook Pro I bought for 150 with a broken harddrive. Cost me 100 for a new one, and I've been using it for a year. It was 1300 new.
Back to top Go down
SOJC
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Applying Bangernomics Idea to your life in general?   Tue May 10, 2011 12:55 pm

Joloke wrote:
The last few days ive been searching online for websites where people use the same sort of "bangernomics" spirit in everything they buy and they way they live but alas ive drawn a blank Sad
Google for frugal living - there used to be a news group full of very useful information about how to lower
the cost of living by doing just as you suggest, but in recent years it's become full of trolls and wankers.
There are now a few websites devoted to the same thing; here's a search...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I've seen the folly of buying new, especially after my first new Nikon, many years ago. A few short months after buying it, economic circumstances forced me to sell it and I got back less than half what I'd paid for it. Since then, I've never bought a new camera, always a year or two old and never looked back. Same applies to nearly every other leisure/hobby item I have - let someone else take the depreciation hit.
Occasionally, it is nice to buy new, but there's a financial limit I impose on that, out of necessity. I'll pay the new price to upgrade the guts of my PC, but I expect those bits to last five years, so the actual real cost is peanuts. I always try to make sure that techno bits I buy will be forward compatible with the bits they'll work with in a couple of years time.

Reduce, re-use, re-cycle - I was doing green stuff long before the tree-hugger tossers. Smile
Back to top Go down
badshot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2009-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Applying Bangernomics Idea to your life in general?   Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:20 pm

Good post

I like this subject, I think I've been practicing it for a while now, ever since the wife and I left our city banking life in London. I don't make much money now and the wife looks after 3 little ones at home so things can be tough. I thought that If I cant make I have to save it some how.

We started by trying the following,

Eating less as part of a get fit scheme, which helped us spend less down the supermarket.

We had our loft insulated for nowt which is definitely helping in the winter keep the house a little warmer. We can run the thermo down a degree or two and were just as warm as before.

We only run one car, so one lot of insurance tax and maintenance. (thought about getting rid of them all together but its a step too far at the moment.

We packed in takeaways, another health thing after a buddy of mine ended up eating you know what unbeknown to him Shock and getting very ill.

We decided to only eat out once a month but in a decent restaurant, not an expensive one, just one that did and good meal with a drink each for around 30.

We are walking more and fitting in other chores around walking the dog, so everyone's a winner.

I wont lie, it can be hard but its easier than I imagined and a world away from our posh flat and new BMW, we must have wasted in them days.

Believe it or not we actually swapped the mega store which is Sainsbury's for the local butcher and small Waitrose round the corner, and were still better off eating better quality food, but less of it and we are far from starving!

Give it a try, and don't forget 'He who dares, Wins Rodney!'

c5alan
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Applying Bangernomics Idea to your life in general?   Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:54 am

I love getting something old and destined for the skip by someone else fixing it up and either using it or selling it on. Love freecycle for this. We picked up an old kitchen table that was scratched and the chairs where loose and wobbly got the lot for 10 about an hours work I had the table shinning and the chairs tightened up it was all good G-plan stuff so expensive back in the day now pride of place. I am self employed as a handy man so produce various waste bits of wood non of this sees the skip first off I make tea light holders and other small bits what I cant use goes to my scouts for fire wood. Buying good quality used items saves a fortune as well as buying from the short dated section in the supermarket and sticking it in the freezer great way to save on your shopping.
Since both me and my fiance are both self employed when we go out for a meal wee goo at lunch time for the lunch deals same as the cinema cheaper day rates also means you get a good seat and no one with sweet wrappers or phones going off at the best bit lol. We have built up a huge dvd collection from car boot sales why spend 10 when in a few months time I can get it for 2 or just love film it 4 for 2 dvds a month so much cheaper than local rental. We buy as much as we can at the wholesalers as this does save quite a bit. It is the stupid wee things that save you money, even car parts keep an eye out on ebay genuine service items pop up cheap now and then you will need them sooner or latter so stock up when they do then if the car dies well stick them back on again
Back to top Go down
ventorafred
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Applying Bangernomics Idea to your life in general?   Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:36 am

Oh entirely
Im cutting edge 10 years behind
I dont do 'must have' things My TV is 8 years old, and that was 30 out of the paper
DVDs off Evilbay for a quid or so, pretty much everything in the house is second hand
apart from the mattress - I draw the line there :No:
Probably got this from my parents - Im 43, so my folks had to live through the scarcity
of wartime Britain, and its rubbed off I guess.
when I was a kid in the 70's it was a hard life to make ends meet
I had charity shop clothes, and hand me downs from my relatives.
And I still buy clothes from Charity shops, never had a credit card.
always lived by the old adage - If you cant afford it dont have it
done good by me so far Thumb
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Applying Bangernomics Idea to your life in general?   Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:30 pm

Excellent thread. Obviously I don't just drive by Bangernomics I live by it too. I still ride the same bike I bought in 1972. We have survived on free tellies for years, but had to buy one earlier this year when we ran out of dead relatives ones. I agree with Ventora Fred that the basic principle is if you can't afford it, don't buy it. Or do the proper old fashioned thing and save up for it. Like Fred my parents knew real hardship and this view does stem from. I also don't like owing anyone anything. I like Seiko watches too, have loads of them, mostly free and better than a Rolex/Tag/Omega in opinion. Never break down or need servicing. I won't go on....

Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com
stereosound
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2007-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Applying Bangernomics Idea to your life in general?   Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:35 pm

I am embarrassed to say up until a couple of years ago I was going through a stage where I had to have the latest phone,tv,hi fi,car etc etc but I have of late very much changed Thumb

Maybe its my age or maybe its just the fact I find new things rather boring Sleep

Old used items have a life and personality all of their own :Wky:

There are times i wish i could go back and of kept things I replaced that I really had no need to.

I now tend to think about everything I buy first before parting with money on something I may not necessarily need :Wky:

This has given me an idea for another thread...........

Back to top Go down
OldToot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2010-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Applying Bangernomics Idea to your life in general?   Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:42 pm

I try to do what I can. The tumble dryer packed up the other week. One time I would have bought another, but I reasoned that, although I don't really know what I am doing, a tumbe dryer can't be that complicated, or any less functioning that ours was, so I stripped it down and realised the belt had snapped because the drum had got jammed by my (lost) debit card. So I ordered a new debit card, and a new belt, and it all works again. I even swapped the door around so it opens the correct way for our purposes.

We have a sideboard we bought for 20, which apparently is worth over 200 now, but no doubt will be worth 20 again in a year or so. Regardless, it's a sturdy piece of useful furniture that we like.

We also have a dresser that was 10 off eBay, a cupboard that was 1.02 and some genuine 1950's wall cupboards that were free.

Our TV was new to us, but was an ex-demo bargain. It will be replaced when it stops working.
Back to top Go down
D7
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Applying Bangernomics Idea to your life in general?   Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:57 pm

My mum and dad have lived by the Bangernomics principle for their entire life, especially through my childhood, but as they are getting older (now late 60's) I've found they are splashing out because, well, why not.

Works for me though. My dad recently bought a 51" TV. Fair enough its last years model and he got it for a steal, but the 42" one its replacing (bought new 4 years ago) made its way out of the front door with me. Apparently it has a line down the centre of the screen which distracts when watching the TV, to be fair I've never noticed it...

My mum and dad bought a new wooden bed last year, their old divan was less than a year old, they kept the matress as that was same age as the divan base but the bed also came with me, new headboard from eBay and bobs ya uncle.

My wardrobes are 30 years old +, when my mum and dad bought above wooden bed they got all new bedroom furniture (its all custom built) but the 30 year old sturdy wardrobes were cracking, so they came with me too.

My uncle had a house clearance recently when he was downsizing and I nabbed all sorts, second hand car vac (ideal!), loads of old tools he didn't want anymore, 4 sturdy dining room chairs (which I've been told are actually worth a few quid) all got thrown in the trailer and taken off to their new home, which wasn't the tip like the rest of the stuff (which I didn't want, although I did take a few bits to sell on eBay!).

The only things I'm overly fussy with to buy new are clothes, but thats a preference. I wear mobile phones out until they are no longer fit for purpose (work offered me a new iPhone to replace my Blackberry, but the 18 month old Blackberry works spot on so I declined, stating to the head of IT I will request an iPhone when the BB conks out). I use an iPhone as my personal mobile and although I like the interface and the apps are handy, I don't rate it at all. Should have stayed with the Nokia 3310 I had when I was 14. Phones are definitely a lot more fragile these days than say 10 years ago!
Back to top Go down
badshot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2009-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Applying Bangernomics Idea to your life in general?   Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:37 pm

James-Founder wrote:
Excellent thread. Obviously I don't just drive by Bangernomics I live by it too. I still ride the same bike I bought in 1972. We have survived on free tellies for years, but had to buy one earlier this year when we ran out of dead relatives ones. I agree with Ventora Fred that the basic principle is if you can't afford it, don't buy it. Or do the proper old fashioned thing and save up for it. Like Fred my parents knew real hardship and this view does stem from. I also don't like owing anyone anything. I like Seiko watches too, have loads of them, mostly free and better than a Rolex/Tag/Omega in opinion. Never break down or need servicing. I won't go on....

LOL I love Seiko / Citizen watches so much especially the Solar and automatics, no batteries to replace Friends great watches with excellent build quality, but I do own a Tag, bought for me when i was 21! Nice watch but a quartz not a real watch in my opinion like an automatic

Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Applying Bangernomics Idea to your life in general?   Thu May 14, 2015 10:51 pm

I was just about to start a similar thread, but saw this. Prepare to be revived Frankenthread!

I make my own booze which must save a tidy amount, especially in avoided tax. Anything I can do to give a middle finger to the government :Che:

I buy movies and books second hand off eBay. Got a Netflix account too, which is pretty cheap entertainment (certainly cheaper than Sky, Virgin Media, or even just a tv license). Gunna cancel it soon though as I'm not using it much anymore.

Bit of a gamer, which can easily become expensive. I wait until games I want are on sale though, so never pay full price. I built the PC myself which helped keep costs under control. Also meant I got the exact spec. I wanted. Recycled the mouse, keyboard and monitor from an old set-up. Re-purposed an ancient laptop as an OBD scan tool.

I make fuel bricks for the fire by compressing shredded paper/card waste.

Socks and the like get used as workshop rags when they get old and develop holes.

I've Fixed countless electrical appliances by repairing wiring, resolidering circuit boards, replacing worn brushes etc., where most would have just thrown them out.

Bought my washing machine second-hand for 50.

I do go expensive sometimes though. For example, I've got a Citizen Stiletto Eco-Drive watch. Nice and thin construction, very nicely built, good quality materials, solar powered too. It might have been circa 270, but I hope to never buy another watch again in my life.

Guess it's more about value rather than chasing the lowest possible price. Hence why I spend money on good quality service parts/fluids even though the car might only be worth a few hundred. It's just a false economy to skimp on somethings IMO.

I definitely agree that it's apart of a wider mentality though, not just an isolated approach to buying cars.

Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Applying Bangernomics Idea to your life in general?   Mon May 18, 2015 3:20 pm

I'm copying this from a long thread (which seems to have been chopped up by the moderators) arguing about nuclear power after Fukushima, which was of special interest in Taiwan, since its not THAT far upwind.

Its not really about using second hand stuff, more about saving energy, but I suppose saving anything is sort of bangernomical.

I draw the line at keeping old nuclear reactors going indefinately though...

"To take a seemingly trivial example, you can have a perfectly adequate wash, and rinse your clothes, with half a bucket of water, which you can then use to mop the floor/wash your car/flush the toilet/water the garden, etc. "Third world" people do just that, but I'm the only first world punter I know who does it voluntarily. Doesn't hurt a bit.

Some things would hurt more...
...Aircon (and, further north, its corollary, space heating) is, however, a, perhaps the, big problem. I don't use my domestic or car aircon, which is occasionally uncomfortable. The classrooms don't have aircon, which is often uncomfortable but hasn't killed me. I find I can't avoid using aircon in my new office building, which, unlike the previous one which they had available as a model, has large, non-reflective, non-openable, externally unshaded windows. The small sliding window above the main ones provides some inadequate natural ventilation but has no insect screen, so you can't open it at night.

Progress? No.

Half-witted new design? You betcha, and one sees examples of such half-witted design everywhere, every day."

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Applying Bangernomics Idea to your life in general?   

Back to top Go down

Applying Bangernomics Idea to your life in general?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1