View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joloke
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: What constitutes a Banger?   Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:51 am

I was pondering what actually constitutes a banger?
I get the general feeling that most here would much rarther pay under 1000? But then i have to ask i keep seeing 10-12 old Jaguars,BMW,s and Audis etc for 2000ish and under can this still constitute a bangernomics car? I think so i know they may be more expensive but we are talking cars that were Anything between 30-50k when new so i think they still constitute a wise bangernomics car,a luxury one at that but its still in the very spirit and essence of the Bangernomics!

I suppose you could liken it to Morris Minors? You probably think ive gone off my trollley but what im trying to get at is a good Morris Minor isnt cheap but as a long term keeper they offer value for money,maybe 2000 is a bit rich for some of us but if its for a very well sorted Prestige Car why not? Lets face it 2000 today wouldnt even pay off one years new car repayments on a small mass produced town car so spending 2k still makes sence Wink

What do others think?

Jodie:)
Back to top Go down
D7
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: What constitutes a Banger?   Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:20 pm

I'd consider a banger to be sub 1000 personally as thats usually my limit when buying cars (with a few exceptions).

I think the fine line has to be drawn between whats a banger and whats assuming classic status (which many old Jags, BMWs etc are now). Few years ago E34 5 Series BMWs were "Bangers" but now are gradually starting to assume classic status, with early E39 5 Series starting to assume banger territory, for example...
Back to top Go down
Joloke
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: What constitutes a Banger?   Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:41 pm

I agree on sub 1000 though i guess im saying theres lots of fine cars in the 1000-2000 price range Wink
There is one way to look at it though wait a while and those 2000 cars will be Sub 1000 Very Happy

Ive always loved old cars but i currently get a fleet car so it makes sence for me at present to use that but after a bad experience with a Classic Car i think when i get something to play with it will be a Banger rarther than a Classic Wink

I guess if you play the game right you can actually be on top because every banger if kept long enough can become a classic meaning you may just get more back than you payed for it then move on to the next generation of bangers whilst walking away with money in your pocket Very Happy

Back to top Go down
misterspivvy
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-09-03

PostSubject: Re: What constitutes a Banger?   Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:55 am

I think I would define a banger as something that's worthless as soon as the MOT has expired.If I was paying 1000 I would expect something pretty tidy. Last time I spent that sort of money it was an 8 year old Granada scorpio 24v in mint condition. wish I'd kept it! since then it's been a maximum of 300 quid, although post-scrappage I've had to go up to 400 to get the "right" car.
Back to top Go down
badshot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-06-06

PostSubject: Re: What constitutes a Banger?   Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:57 pm

Yep I agree, Ive had a few bangers in my lifetime, but you wouldn't look at them and say that(you can get some cracking cars for under 1k if you know where to look and take a gamble), seeing as I normally allways stick to my 1000 limit. Ive seen the light after years of spending 1'000's on newer posher stuff only to realise it was just for badge status or keeping up with friends etc, these days i couldn't give a monkeys and dont care what others think, as i always have a little bit more under the mattress for the things that matter!
Back to top Go down
http://wristwatchnut.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What constitutes a Banger?   

Back to top Go down

What constitutes a Banger?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1