View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rovamota
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Another tale of woe from the auction...   Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:15 pm

Hell, I nearly done it again. I got very excited about a 1997 VW Polo 1.9 Diesel at the auction, very smart, FSH, stamped up service book and 12 months MoT, but, it was Sold As Seen. My bid of 570 was enough to secure it. Went and paid for it but was given an old style V5 log book, so I asked them 'what the f*** is this, where's the V5C?' They agreed it was misrepresented and to give them a few days to see if they can get the new log book, if not I could have a full refund.

Last night I decided I would be able to sort the log book and so I would take the car, when I got to the auction all the paperwork was ready for my refund and the Polo was ready to go through that nights auction. I told them it's okay and I would take the car anyway.

Got the keys and started her up, sounded fine, put it into gear pulled away and it sounded like someone had dropped a box of spanners in the gearbox. It was shagged! No

I drove it round the block and the faster it went the noisier it got so I decided to put it back through the auction, and as the auction had already started I had to be quick! I managed to get it back in under its original lot number and it sold for 510. Phew! I lost nearly 100 in all but that's a lot less than what I would have had to spend on it to get the gearbox sorted. I just hope the person who won it is deaf!

That's it now, I'm not buying anything at auction unless it has an end of sale trial, it's just not worth the grief. After 10 years of buying at auction I can still get it wrong.

Kev.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Well done!   Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:04 pm

At least for cutting your losses. A lot of people would have stuck with the car and lost everything. Quick thinking and your knowledge got you out of a tight spot. Thanks for sharing that story which will help others take a bit more care.

Keep up the great posting Kev...best regards James
Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com
Rovamota
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Another tale of woe from the auction...   Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:35 pm

That's okay. Hopefully I'll have some more uplifting tales to tell. I'll tell you what was at the auction, a 1990 Lotus Elan in red, good history with MoT but it needs a respray (lacquer peel). Bids went up to 2400 but not enough to buy it. Haven't seen one for ages and then there's Richard Bremner's piece about them in this week's Autocar and Auto Express also has a small feature this week. In good condition that Elan could command 6500!

Kev.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Elan   Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:51 pm

Odd to find one going under the hammer! Makes a change from some of tghe dross you must see...worth a go, but someone might have reserved at 5K which is what the cheapies seem to go for.
Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another tale of woe from the auction...   

Back to top Go down

Another tale of woe from the auction...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1