View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
D7
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Best value for money Bangers out there?   Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:07 pm

Aside from the K11 Micra which has been mentioned in another topic, what do you personally think are the best value Bangers on the market today for sub 1000?

I've just bought a new banger and this is my favourite banger to date and value for money wise I personally think they are unbeatable. I will deffo have another one in future and I cant believe I haven't had one in the past!

This particular one is a 2000 (X) Vauxhall Omega 2.5 V6 CDX Auto - good spec (CDX) with plenty of toys, bags of history, full ticket and some tax, good conditon all for the right side of 1000. Goes well, albeit thirsty, but they are a lot of car for very little money. Drive so well (gives the BMW's i've had a run for their money) and is one of the best cars i've owned (Indeed I rate it a lot more than the 56 reg Vectra 1.8 I had last year!)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The eagle eyed of you will notice the petrol light is on in this pic mind Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Superb   Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:13 pm

Those Vauxhalls are great, superb value at 1000....well done....J
Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com
D7
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Best value for money Bangers out there?   Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:07 pm

I actually got it for sub 1000 Wink

Its not perfect, does need a couple of minor bits doing to it (quick poke around underneath suggests brake pipes front to back both sides could do with replacing) and I feel it needs new discs & pads on the front, but nothing a couple of hours at the weekend cant sort Laughing

Omega's are extremely under rated cars though in my opinion...
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Even better.   Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:38 pm

Even Better, minor cosmetics not a problem I think...J
Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com
misterspivvy
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Best value for money Bangers out there?   Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:42 am

I'm biased, I'll admit, but older Volvos are remarkably good value for money. I'm talking about the real volvos, 240/740/940 before Ford took over. They are thirsty but seriously over engineered. There are still plenty in everyday use and are capable of starship mileages. a 500 car you may still have in 10 years time. The later 850s are nicer to drive but quite horribly complex and very expensive to fix when they go wrong. I was offered a T5-R estate in lovely condition for 300- but it needed a replacement auto box. one from a scrapper is going to be an unknown quantity-they generally don't do much over 150k- and a recon is over a grand! no thanks....

I like Omegas but was put off by horror stories about head gasket failures and electrical faults on the gearbox, I seem to remember these depreciated horrendously.
As well as not wanting to spend a lot of money buying a car, I don't want to spend much on having it fixed in a garage so tend to keep things simple. I'm currently on a mk3 VW Golf 1.9 diesel. Its non turbo so pretty sluggish, but on the other hand there's little to go wrong. the engines are good for 250k and don't have any electronic management nonsense. The only weak spot on these golfs is the gearbox. 1.6 petrol gearboxes self destruct, and diesel ones eat the reverse gear and chew up the ring gear.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best value for money Bangers out there?   

Back to top Go down

Best value for money Bangers out there?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1