HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | .

Run of bangernomics bad luck...Any advice?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
betterthanwalking
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2009-08-17

PostSubject: Run of bangernomics bad luck...Any advice?   Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:03 pm

Hi All,

I've had a recently had a run of bangernomics bad luck recently,and i'm wondering if anyone had any advice?.

Until recently, i owned a Proton Persona 1.5 Auto, i brought it for virtually nothing from a nice old chap in North Yorks, thinking "if it lasts a month, it'll be ok, because i paid virtually nothing for it".

It was actually a very nice car, but thirsty, so when i got the opportunity financially i upgraded it to a 98' diesel Fiesta Van which leaks water somewhere in the engine, god knows where, so i had to leave that in the drive.

Now, i usually have a "maximum of 400" car buying policy, and i thought to myself maybe this is where i'm going wrong, so in a fit of desperation i spent 550 on a 1994 diesel Fiat Punto, which actually is a very clean car, it runs well, but has developed a crunchy third gear and one of the rear wheels looks to be tilting inwards, so i'm wondering if there is a serious suspension problem.

So i've got two semi-functional cars in my drive, the Fiesta's going for sure, but i'm in a bit of quandry with what to do with the Punto, my fiance loves driving it but i'm starting to get worried about repair bills, especially as today i found a bit of paper in the service history noting a hole in the cv boot, written five months ago. FFS...

What would you do, repair or sell?. I ask, because i have seen a nice Proton Persona diesel o ebay for 600, so i'm wondering whether to discreetly sell it on, or whether to spend on the Punto, from what i've heard, Punto suspension problems can mean 's to spend.

Any advice from any Fiat experts or anyone who has a passing shoulder to cry on would very, very, much appreciated. (I really don't know what's happened, as i've had loads of bangers and always came up trumps with stuff that didn't need a fortune spending on it until recently, has the run of luck ran out?) ... Sad

Thanks guys and gals!
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Welcome Aboard   Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:28 pm

Glad to hear that you are one of us and running cheap cars. Yes my advice would be to get rid of the Punto as all parts are so expensive. Nice to drive, but.... I am not a Fiat expert and have in fact always avoided them for these reasons. A Fiat expert though may know how to keep it alive!

Good luck, J
Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com
betterthanwalking
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Run of bangernomics bad luck...Any advice?   Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:21 am

FIAT-Fix It Again Tomorrow i suppose?, to be honest, i did buy it for one reason because my fiance has a 1.2 Punto Sporting, now, we've abused it and completely ignored all servicing of it for years and it still keeps going (although i did have to spend 200 on it recently), but perhaps this is a rarity. I'm still undecided because my fiance loves it so, and it could be the doghouse for me if i sell it, but i can't afford to spend megabucks on it, and i do get some ridicule from freinds and family for all my chopping and changing of cars, but that's part of Bangernomics, you get rid before it's big bill time, i only wish they knew that Neutral Thanks for the advice!
Back to top Go down
misterspivvy
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Run of bangernomics bad luck...Any advice?   Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:50 am

ooh, Punto- no, steer clear! ever tried getting dealer specific parts for fiats? they have to send off to Italy and take literally months!!
My sister has a 1.9 td, a pokey enough car that does 55 mpg, but the electrical faults beggar belief. It needed a whole new instrument cluster at 3 years old and also developed the amusing quirk of switching its lights on when you turned the heater on.
I'm not impressed with the shrinking underseal either. it dries out and shrinks, leaving bare metal exposed underneath, and there is rust bubbling up along the top of the windscreen rail.
Handling also feels extremely front heavy with that diesel engine.
Back to top Go down
betterthanwalking
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Run of bangernomics bad luck...Any advice?   Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:05 pm

Jeez-it's happened again!, i bought a Citroen Xsara TD for 700 out of desperation as i needed a car for my Honeymoon a month ago and now the git has got a slippy clutch and is very hard to start when cold, producing a 1985 Top of the Pops worth of sooty smelling smoke when it finally fires up.

I'm absolutely Mad about the whole scenario as i don't have the money to fix it. It's got so bad i'm having dreams about the good old days of Vauxhall Chevettes and Marinas, cars you could fix with a Meccano spanner and a Garden Trowel and still have change for a bag of chips Laughing

It's got so bad i now think if i didnt have to do the mileage i did i would invest in a Honda C90 and a helmet.

Seriously in despair No
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Run of bangernomics bad luck...Any advice?   Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:50 pm

Yes make cars simpler, here's the debate right here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
sputnikcorporation
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2007-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Run of bangernomics bad luck...Any advice?   Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:23 pm

I really think the main problem here is the choice of vehicle! The concept of running older cars is great, but some cars don't fit the bill...old Citroens & Fiats are great examples of what to avoid if minimal running costs are the aim.

I recall this debate in Car magazine many years ago & have followed the advice religiously since. Back then it was a choice of old Japanese or German. Now it's Japanese or Korean. The Koreans have come a long way, as have the Malaysians (given your liking for Protons).

In summary, dispose of the stuff you have & check the market for tin made in the countries mentioned. On a specific level, check out a Suzuki Baleno. I'm just selling my 1995 model after 10 years of trouble free motoring...my brother was so impressed he bought one too & has had the same run in the 6 years he has had his. And they are pretty simple...
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Run of bangernomics bad luck...Any advice?   Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:00 pm

Absolutely agree. I am prejudiced against most Europeans apart from the '80s Germans and I have yet to be proved wrong.
Back to top Go down
badshot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Run of bangernomics bad luck...Any advice?   Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:50 pm

Id go japanese, not the most charismatic cars in the world, but knowing that when its cold an orrible out there she will allways start on the button and get you from A-B and back again, plus its guaranteed the exhaust backbox will fall off, and you can sound like a group B rally car for a week while you source a new one! Surprised
Back to top Go down
http://wristwatchnut.co.uk
betterthanwalking
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Run of bangernomics bad luck...Any advice?   Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:10 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses!. Been looking high and low for a replacement car over the xmas hols, and i really have my eyes set on a Y plate Suzuki Swift 1.0 5 door that i've seen on ebay.

I'm heading out to look at it tomorrow hopefully. It's 500 and although the dealer won't budge, (apparently) on price, it is a great colour and i hope the show of genuine folding beer vouchers will negotiate a deal.

I did see another retro cheapie on the 'bay. Someone had a usable 1989 Golf 1.3 Mk.2 with T&T in original but slightly crusty nick for 350, i was very much tempted but a bit unsure on the fuel economy and the fact that the heater is a bit iffy (poss. matrix according to a bit of googling, beyond my skills and time!)

I know the Swift isn't everyone's cup of tea, i don't blame anyone thinking that as i know they a bit of a tinny box with a buzzy engine and the safety features of a bowie knife, but it will be nice to get cheap insurance and tax for the first time in years Cool

Again, thanks for your responses everyone, i know that topics and postings can go a bit quiet on here at times but it's nice to hear from everyone out there motoring on a budget, because if i didn't have bangernomics i would have to get a car on finance, not that it's wrong as you guys don't have to put up with smelly heaps Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Run of bangernomics bad luck...Any advice?   

Back to top Go down

Run of bangernomics bad luck...Any advice?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1