HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | .

Fuel efficient,, cheap and five doors...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
OldToot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2010-02-15

PostSubject: Fuel efficient,, cheap and five doors...   Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:48 am

So, we bought a diesel Multipla as the main family car, which leaves us with a Multipla and a 1999 Mondeo auto with only 51k on it and lots of history.

To be honest the Mondeo is not very fuel efficient, and we don't need a second car as big - it was our main car. Having just had to tax it, we definitely don't need a car that big, it is just used for a 13 mile commute twice a day, and I have to park it on street at work, so a shorter car would open up more spaces.

So, I was thinking about doing what I did with the Multipla and swapping it for something else. Something cheaper to tax and does more mpg, but will be reliable and had five doors just in case the Multipla is laid up at any point.

So far I'm thinking Peugeot 205 diesel (I love the shape of the 205, and my mum had one so it was the first car I drove a lot) or petrol I suppose - my mum got 110k out of her 1 litre 4 speed and I drove quite a lot of those as an 18 year old so it had a hard life. She old sold it because she wanted 5 doors. They don't seem to rust much as well as being mechanically sound.

Other options I've considered include a K11 Micra as recommended here and various other old Peugeots, although I don't like the 106.

Any other recommendations for a car that is:

about the same value as a 1999 Mondeo Ghia auto with 51k miles
cheap to tax and insure
small so I can park it in little spaces
reliable
cheap to fix
has five doors for occasional family use

would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
OldToot
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Fuel efficient,, cheap and five doors...   Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:23 pm

There seem to be a fair few 205 diesels about for about 500 to 1000, which I guess is what I can expect for the Mondeo (although since I started the thread someone had put a big scratch in its otherwise pristine flank - always the way eh?)

I also like the look of a 309 - a 205 with a bit more space, and just about as sound I think, although there don't seem to be too many about.

Is the old-tech diesels in these cars that much more efficient than the petrol engines of the same era? I know they're rough as nails compared to modern diesels, but tough with it - I am surprised looking back how weedy they are though!

Would you get a 14 year old petrol or a 14 year old diesel in the same car, if your criteria was overall cheapness (inc purchase, maintenance and fuel)?
Back to top Go down
OldToot
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Fuel efficient,, cheap and five doors...   Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:07 pm

I'm talking to myself here, but I might be looking at a slightly longer commute now (70 miles/day or thereabouts) at least until the end of next spring.

So I think it might be worth spending a bit more to get a bit more refinement, and miles per gallon of course.

I'm quite taken with the 1.9JTD Punto (same engine as the Multipla we have I guess?) - it has an extra urban figure of over 70mpg amazingly. Most of my commute will be on reasonably quiet A roads, and so I would hope to get that out of it (I had over 60mpg from the Multipla driving it from Rotherham to Manchester and normally get c.50mpg from it, so I would seem to be quite an efficient driver)

You can pick post March 2001 (90.yr tax) ones up for about 1.5k, and pre March 2001 ones (205 tax for the same emissions ...) for about 1k.

Over the length of time I would be doing the commute if I do it at all, getting 70mpg out of one would save me about 1,500, so it's definitely worth paying a bit more than I get for the Mondeo for one.
Back to top Go down
quirkycars
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Fuel efficient,, cheap and five doors...   Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:29 pm

My Micra Goldstar 1.0...

Last edited by quirkycars on Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
robbo
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Fuel efficient,, cheap and five doors...   Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:56 pm

What about a vw diesal
Back to top Go down
robinmasters
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Fuel efficient,, cheap and five doors...   Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:55 pm

Anything with a 1.9XUD. They go a on forever, and cost pennies to fix. And pennies to buy, because French cars that age aren't particularly popular, to say the least.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel efficient,, cheap and five doors...   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1