View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bamboo
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-01-07

PostSubject: Alfas   Mon May 31, 2010 1:38 am

My local classifieds are full of alfa 156s at the prices ranging from 900 to 1900. With mostly well under 100k on the clock. Now I know there are lots of horror stories about alfas, but haven't they started getting better in the last couple of ranges? Most problems on the parkers.co.uk user review sections seem to relate to the cam belt going, and the guys over at the alfa forums say that cam belts should be changed at half the manufacturer's guideline miles.

A 2.0 T-Spark Lusso for around 1100 is a LOT of car for the money if it can be trusted? Assuming the cam belts and have been done should I be entertaining the idea or running a mile? There are also a few tidy looking 147s about too.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Alfas   Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:31 am

My dad used to run them (Alfsuds, Giuliettas) until he started crashing them and my mum made him buy something more sedate.

They rusted like...er..Italian cars, but you can see that, and they've probably got better.

He wouldn't let me touch them (to drive or spanner) so I'm no expert, but he certainly got a kick out of doing the Scottish Highland twisties in them.

I'd say indulge yourself.
Back to top Go down
Ian_Fearn
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Alfas   Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:48 pm

Car Mechanics mag did an Alfa 156 survival guide a couple of years ago. The moral of the story was you could potentially get a superb bargain but you could get a money pit. I seem to recall them saying to avoid the Selespeed as they are notorious for being hopeless.

I think everyone should have an Alfa V6 before they become infirm Very Happy
Back to top Go down
OldToot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2010-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Alfas   Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:25 am

If you can, you must.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alfas