View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jim
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2007-10-28

PostSubject: Almera GTI   Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:33 am

I am a lover of cheap cars to buy and run and the Almera GTI gets my vote as the best banger car. It is not as loved by boy racers as some GTI's and so you can find more decent examples around that haven't been tortured and burnt out. My Almera GTI was a 98 version in red, and get this - it was converted to run on LPG so i was getting GTI motoring for 30p a litre!! The car was a joy to drive - great handling and performance. Country lanes were just a treat in that car. I paid about 1700 quid for it and sold it (cos i was emigrating...boo hoo) for about 1500. It was SO reliable and never caused me any problems. Cost wise the GTI version is prone to issues with the Disk brakes, but apart from that shouldnt cost you much. It is a classic banger car, as many people see it as unloved or boring, so the prices are lower!! So i would recommend this as a perfect banger for those who love GTI's.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Almera   Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:44 pm

Yes the Almera gets my vote and I've told people to buy the boring Tino too. It came top in several reliability surveys too. It was the car that other manufacturers didn't want you to drive, ran the ads,so no one did. Dirt cheap now of course. Everyone is buying its replacement though the CashCow, or however you pronounce it.
Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com
MilfordHaven
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Almera GTI   Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:17 pm

I like the idea of an Almera GTi - the engines are bulletproof and powerful, the handling good and they look so 'cooking'.

Modern Nissans however are dreadful.
My grandmother has a 2001 Almera 1.5, and it's had the gearbox and various sensors replaced, now it needs a new timing chain (all fairly common problems apparently). The mileage? 55k. Shocked
While my 1993 Primera is hitting nearly 140,000 miles without a mechanical fault.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Reliability   Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:09 pm

I think that you are probably right that earlier generations are more reliable, but it seems to affect all cars these days as they become more complicated, I think the early to mid '90s was probably a golden period for durability and reliability. Unless anyone disagrees....late '80s VW/Merc though...
Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Almera GTI   

Back to top Go down

Almera GTI

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1