AuthorMessage
Rovamota
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Off to the Auction   Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:02 pm

First topic message reminder :

Thursday evening. Which of this lot is worth a punt? I'm quite keen on the Rover 25iL Steptronic at the right price. Not so keen on the 700,000 mile Nissan Serena!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Kev.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Rovamota
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Off to the Auction   Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:29 pm

I was asked if I'd like to work for Classic Car Weekly as Keith Adams thought I was good enough to write for them, but it was too far away and the salary was lousy, so I'm still training people to drive Fork Lift Trucks...

Kev.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Classic Car Weekly   Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:34 pm

I wrote for the first few issues of CCW, although contractually I could not use my own name so I used my nephews...staffers on Mags get abysmal pay, and that's why I have stayed freelance, although oddly I now earn most of my money through non car activities these days. Incidentally being taught how to drive a forklift sounds like a feature to me. Better get in touch with Colin Goodwin...
Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com
NerveJam
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2007-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Off to the Auction   Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:57 pm

If I want to read some mags, I do what the students do - pop into Smiths!

I quite fancy having a punt at the auction as well.. But I don't have space at the mo... 2 micras and a ratty fiesta..

Back to top Go down
rv100101
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2007-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Off to the Auction   Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:52 pm

Hi all. Just found the site and I'm in extremely happy that there's like minded people out there to chat to about bangers and the like. The missus and friends are all of the 'buy as new as possible cause what will the neighbours think' mentality.

Anyway, I just got to the UK from SA and was probably forced into bangerdom there by the sheer price of cars and living next to the ocean not being very good for new car values, with rust, blowing sand, etc. My last car was a 1985 Golf Mk2 1.8 with 300th miles on the odometer. It was probably more as the speedo didn't work when I got it. Service history? What's that? It got me around for 6 months and I sold it for near what I paid for it.

I've been looking around at the cars for sale here and I must admit that I've been looking at cars for under a grand and what's jumped out at me is the excellent value to be had in the larger cars like the Nissan Primera, Rover 600, etc. I'm not too familiar with the Rover cars as they pulled out of SA a long time ago with a dodgy rep for reliability, but the 600's Honda underpinnings surely make for a reliable car? Heck, for that budget I'm even seeing cars like Audi A4's, Volvo S40's and the like. Oh the joy!

Oh yes, I got sidetracked as this post started as magazine reviews and meandered off to discuss other things, but I wanted to say that I find 'Car Mechanic' magazine to be excellent.

Anyway, thanks for the great site and forum.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Welcome aboard   Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:35 pm

Glad to have you here, there aren't enough of us, but hopefully that will improve over the coming months. You are right I don't think we know how lucky we are when it comes to cars for about a grand especially compared to many other countries. Old Rovers are great as are Saabs and Volvos, a bit of class for not much...Best regards James
Back to top Go down
Rovamota
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Off to the Auction   Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:33 pm

santa Not much point in going to the auction right now as a lack of stock means a poor choice of cars (certainly at my local auction hall) and a lack of punters means cars rarely fetch their reserve, so they will be doing the circuit around the auction hall for a few weeks yet.

In any case, the smart, silver 120k FSH 2002 Astra 1.7DTi Diesel Estate seems to have taken root on my forecourt. It's a fairly dull car in all areas and no one would buy it with their heart, but it makes sense as a buy with your head (with its 40-70mpg) at 2795.

Kev.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Nice   Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:56 pm

I drove an Astra automatic estate a few years back and thought it was actually rather excellent....it's a good choice of compact yet spacious estate in my eyes. All the best J
Back to top Go down
TechSupport
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2013-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Off to the Auction   Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:52 pm

[quote="NerveJam"]If I want to read some mags, I do what the students do - pop into Smiths!

I quite fancy having a punt at the auction as well.. But I don't have space at the mo... 2 micras and a ratty fiesta..

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Off to the Auction   

Back to top Go down

Off to the Auction

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2